Guest Kiwitones

Expats living in Pattaya

Guest Kiwitones

Me again.We are newbies to this site and are finding it very informative. My partner (of 37 years) and I are travelling to Pattaya after not having been for over 10 years. We are considering the idea of living in Payttaya over our winter months in NZ. Is there an expat group or web site that we can get info from. As we are both just 60 we would enjoy meeting others and being social. We have considered renting a house. We are well aware of the boy/bar scene but would like to explore a more social side. Any info much appreciated. Tony

If you're looking for something formal, there are two expats clubs in Pattaya:

Pattaya City Expats Club:  http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com

Pattaya Expats Club:  http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.info

Neither is necessarily gay, but many gays belong to both.

If you're looking for a group of gays that are not really a club, but get together consistently - virtually nightly, go to the Elephant Plaza bar in Sunee Plaza around 8:30pm.  Ask for Bud.  All the boys know Bud.  It's a small group, but very friendly and you'll get the best advice from that group.  I'm part of it, but I'm not there very often.  If I'm there, it is most likely going to be a Monday or Tuesday evening.  They have a meatloaf dinner there every Thursday, usually attended by 14-20 gay expats.  You will be perfectly welcome.  In my opinion, in Pattaya that's the best place to start and the best and most knowledgeable people to start with.

If you want to have a look at my board, see:  http://www.gaybuttonthai.com

I would suggest starting by renting a condo rather than a house.  Plenty of condos for rent are available in the city, where you're most likely to want to be to get started.  Condos are usually available long term or monthly.  Once you get established, get to know the area, and get to know where you want to be, get to know people, and get to know who to get advice from, that's when to start looking for a house.

I am a member of the Pattaya City Expats Club which meets Sundays at Tavern by Sea on beach road by the Amari. I know a few members from New Zealand, many Aussies, Brits and Americans. The other club GB mentioned has more Scandinavian and German members.

The meeting starts at 10:30 am with a breakfast buffet available before that. There is a monthly club dinner at various restaurants around town, club discounts for members, interest groups, etc., etc., etc. Everyone one is welcome.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com

https://www.facebook.com/pcecclub.org/

Guest FossilGay

A warm welcome to you and your partner, Tony!  You'll find many helpful people here who will be more than happy to answer your questions.  As others will probably suggest, it might be a good idea to experiment living here for a few months of the year, and perhaps even living in the various cities/towns and figure out which suits you best.  We have members from Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Isaan (that's the northeast), Hua Hin and, of course, Pattaya.  It's fine if you've decided on Pattaya - plenty of members here live in Pats, some dead, some alive, but all having a good time.

If you're looking for a group of gays that are not really a club, but get together consistently - virtually nightly, go to the Elephant Plaza bar in Sunee Plaza around 8:30pm.  Ask for Bud.  All the boys know Bud.  It's a small group, but very friendly and you'll get the best advice from that group.  I'm part of it, but I'm not there very often.  If I'm there, it is most likely going to be a Monday or Tuesday evening. 

Just to clarify:  the Elephant Plaza is a pleasant hotel and bar.  It is not an elephant sanctuary nor is it named in honour of its regular clientele.  I thought I should put it out there as there has been some confusion over this before.

Just to clarify:  the Elephant Plaza is a pleasant hotel and bar.  It is not an elephant sanctuary nor is it named in honour of its regular clientele.  I thought I should put it out there as there has been some confusion over this before.

I'm sorry to see the Prozac has failed to help you yet.  Don't worry.  Given enough time, eventually maybe it will.

I'll be at Elephant Plaza Monday night.  Drop by, identify yourself, and make some of your comments face-to-face instead of hiding behind internet anonymity like a true coward. 

Guest ryanasia

As you can see us Thailand expats are amongst the friendliest in the world. lol I am going to go ahead and cross Elephant bar off of my go to places on Monday and Tuesday.

GB lighten up I took what Fossil said to be a harmless joke.

As you can see us Thailand expats are amongst the friendliest in the world. lol I am going to go ahead and cross Elephant bar off of my go to places on Monday and Tuesday.

GB lighten up I took what Fossil said to be a harmless joke.

Ryan,

Try as he will, GB, has been unable to lighten up for over 60 years.

Actually the elephant references quite funny. Sort of like a herd of old bull elephants sometimes. As a frequent

drop-in, I can have a chuckle at myself. For lots of lonely older farangs the beer bars offer a reprieve from solitude

but it's always hit or miss. I avoid the barflies (next rounds on me types) and the chain smokers. A few will chew

your ear off, regaling you with their past but most are pleasant chaps.

Btw, some of the older farangs are quite fit and slim and there's a bonus at Elephant, young attractive friendly host boys,

who only want to take you to paradise, for a price. Quite a few of them are skilled at relieving one

of stress for a few baht.

Yes I agree with the above. Fossil makes what for most of us is a harmless joke and GB tries to slam him down with a very unpleasant remark about him being a coward.

Likewise I will steer well clear of Elephant bar as it seems to attracts a lot of bitchy poisonous old queens.

Guest ryanasia

Am I supposed to be interested in your 'advice'?

Be careful I might go down to the Elephant on Monday and say it directly to your face. :)

Guest shamahan

If you've got the guts, I'll be there.

Are you trying to scare us? Who do you think you are? While in Pattaya avoid Gayburron and his so-called friends. He is an absolute shit.

Guest ryanasia

Are you trying to scare us? Who do you think you are? While in Pattaya avoid Gayburron and his so-called friends. He is an absolute shit.

He always makes idle threats as if anybody is afraid of some 70 year old man. Normally I try to be nice on this forum but he repeatedly issues thinly veiled threats. Nobody is afraid of him but like I have any interest in running down to the Elephant to bicker about stupid shit that happened on the internet with him. He says this shit over and over. I am not really sure why it is tolerated. When they got rid of Quality he should have had his card pulled at the same time. 

I heard he is nicer in real life but that really doesn't matter here does it?

post-10435-0-15197200-1477319639_thumb.jpg

Guest ryanasia

Anyway to get back on topic I highly recommend stopping into Poseidon in Jomtien and saying hello to the owner named Heiko. Every time I have been there it seemed like many people who live in Pattaya or do their winters here frequent his restaurant in the evening. 

There aren't usually boys hanging out so you get a crowd there to be sociable and not just sex tourists. He also has a well stocked wine cellar at very reasonable prices. It is a little more refined than other places in the area and Heiko is very welcoming to anybody that stops in. Over all a bit more dignified than some of the alternatives. 

Guest FatRichard

Me again.We are newbies to this site and are finding it very informative. My partner (of 37 years) and I are travelling to Pattaya after not having been for over 10 years. We are considering the idea of living in Payttaya over our winter months in NZ.

Welcome.  I hear those NZ winters can be really harsh.  And congratulations on your 37-year relationship!  That's truly amazing - if only we could be so lucky.  Retirement in Thailand has taken unexpected turns for me, mostly in a positive direction.  I have a second career which I love and never ever expected, I've lost weight and am no longer "fat", and I've also had a relationship with a Thai man which didn't work out.  It's all been very interesting, and, at times, challenging.  I've been meaning to write about it - I think ryanasia or Qualityonly started a thread on it - but I have been so busy lately and have only had the chance to read but not post.  I'm not in the business of giving advice but if there's one tip that has worked for me, it is to listen to your instincts and go with your own honed sense of right and wrong.  No one here is an 'expert' or is the "most knowledgeable" on living Thailand.  That said, we could all learn from each other's mistakes and successes.  Good luck!

Guest ryanasia

Welcome.  I hear those NZ winters can be really harsh.  And congratulations on your 37-year relationship!  That's truly amazing - if only we could be so lucky.  Retirement in Thailand has taken unexpected turns for me, mostly in a positive direction.  I have a second career which I never expected, I've lost weight and am no longer "fat", and I've also had a relationship with a Thai man which didn't last.  It's all been very interesting, and, at times, challenging.  I've been meaning to write about it - I think ryanasia or Qualityonly started a thread on it - but I have been so busy lately and have only had the chance to read but not post.  I'm not in the business of giving advice but if there's one tip that has worked for me, it is to listen to your instincts and go with your own honed sense of right and wrong.  No one here is an 'expert' or is the "most knowledgeable" on living Thailand.  That said, we could all learn from each other's mistakes and successes.  Good luck!

Any idea what the name of that thread might be? I am trying to think of it but nothing springs to mind.