steveboy

"Manage Ignore Preferences"... a misnomer?

This feature allows one to make a list of "Users I'm Ignoring"  and select to hide their posts, messages, etc.  When we "ignore" a user, his posts are not shown to us.

To ignore is an act of will, exercised on something that we perceive.  How can we "ignore" something that gets hidden to us and thus we cannot perceive?

Instead of "ignore", shouldn't it be "hide", or "mask", or "shield from", or "protect from" ??

This feature called my attention the other day when user "firecat69" wrote me an ugly post to tell me that he did put me on ignore.  Apparently he got pissed off over something I wrote, and the best way he found to "ignore" me was to write me something shitty. Go figure!

I got curious about this feature, but I will never use it.  In the first place, I don't hate anybody here or feel disgust over anyone's posts. Secondly, when I find messages I don't like I ignore them... myself. No need to have the server do it for me, and by the way, I get to see WHAT I am ignoring.

Also, putting someone on ignore is a recognition of DEFEAT, an inability to cope with someone in such an innocuous place as an online forum.  We may be gay, but we also should have balls.  I don't "ignore" firecat69. Sometimes he posts useful data and pictures of seductive boys.  And his nonsense I ignore silently, if I don't reply it with even more nonsense...  

I participate in another forum where ignoring users does not exist, but one can vote up or down a post. If a post gets enough negative votes it becomes "hidden".  For me, this brings the curiosity to see why it was hidden and I restore it to read with attention. While if the post would not have been "hidden" I may not have given it any attention.  

All this rumination is simply my opinion.  I hope you agree, but if not... you can IGNORE IT :)

Guest abang1961

Ignoring someone is NEVER an act of DEFEAT.

It simply states that I rather not waste my time reading such posts/remarks from this/these people.

What is there to read when one is constantly antagonizing the other and just spout venomous accusations? 

Ignoring someone is NEVER an act of DEFEAT.

It simply states that I rather not waste my time reading such posts/remarks from this/these people.

What is there to read when one is constantly antagonizing the other and just spout venomous accusations? 

Ignoring someone is not an act of defeat, in any way.

But putting someone on "ignore", so that the site hides the person for you, is defeat.  Because you don't have the control to ignore the person in the first place.

For example, I can ignore your posts that antagonize and spout some venom, like most people sometimes do, and they don't bother me in the least. So I can ignore you perfectly well if I want.  And to see your posts with the avatar showing buns or flesh or whatever, no problema.  What I need the site to hide you from me?  

Guest abang1961

Oh my goodness, I garnered 2 likes for my short 3 lines of words.

See people here who still have their conscious would have known that I am a radical and down-to-earth contributor to the board, unlike some whiners aka losers.  These minions should be relegated out of this forum and banished forever for stirring up unpleasantness.  

World Peace and Festive Cheers for all...

To all the single yet yearning attention people, may 2017 brings you to a higher level of self-appreciation.. no more ego-centric and rude remarks to those... La Vita e Bella

See people here who still have their conscious would have known that I am a radical and ... blah blah blah...

---

To all the single yet yearning attention people, may 2017 brings you to a higher level of self-appreciation.. no more ego-centric and rude remarks to those... La Vita e Bella

Who still have their conscious?  Every healthy human has his/her "conscious"...   You probably wanted to write "conscience". Not to worry, the English taught in Singapore is not perfect, and Singlish comes in to help out.

La vita e bella?  Strange statement from you, who seems so bitter worrying about putting people on "ignore" and complaining about trolls, furthermore releasing some spite in "some whiners aka losers.  These minions should be relegated out of this forum and banished forever for stirring up unpleasantness."    

Maybe a bella vita is your wishful thinking?

I can truly claim La Vita e Bella,  living without bitterness and anger, wishing happiness to everybody and the thick skin that preserves such happiness in forums.   :D  

Steveboy..why u always fight with others?..are you lonely?

There is a common perception that to argue is to fight. It is not.  I argue often, and some take it as a fight... and fight back. 

It has nothing to do with loneliness.  I have been living for 20 years with my bf,  and he is the last one I would fight with, and we don't even argue.  So I have to argue with someone, hahaha... and members of a forum offer good opportunities because many like to argue too.. Don't worry, there are worse karmas than argumentative people...   

I just don't want to waste my time arguing with or reading the material written by some people. Some hardly ever write anything that makes sense. Others do not debate in a respectful fashion, ignoring the points where you dismantled their argument & making wild counter arguments based on misreading what you write, or taking half sentences and twisting the meaning.

Then some just have fake personas & multi profiles.

I don't even want to see what they write & have to filter it myself, so the Ignore feature is very good for that.

There are 7 billion people on this planet & some of them are not good company. Why waste your time?

Guest abang1961

Festive cheers for all... if and only if, some narrow-minded lonely people knows how to live cordially with others, then the world will be a better place... I cannot make everyone to like me but at the very least, I don't go round in gay forums to belittle others... Surely Gay Thailand can live without his contributions... 

Guest ronnie4you

Is there not a cultural difference between East and West over what arguing is? In the West, we argue with excitement and often raise our voices to make a point or express dismay with a point someone else is making. There is no malice involved.

I have learned not to have Western style arguments with non-Westerners. It's just not appreciated. The Westerner I argue with has no problem if I get excited about my argument or his response. He gets to do it too! We stay friends.

I think this board is very harmless and the membership is very tame. I haven't even considered adding anyone to my Ignore list. While there are people I often disagree with, I still like to read what they have to say. Sometimes it's educational and in other cases at least entertaining, so why not!

There will always be those looking to belittle and start arguments in online forums such as this, always trying to bait somebody with a negative comment.

Some are quite the master at it.

I guess they could be referred to as prolific Master Baiters. " pun intended "

Merry Christmas to all forum users..

I don't need a program to do it for me, I can skip posts I don't find interesting myself, or rather read diagonally to save time (like prolific posters with poor command of English).

Also, putting someone on ignore is a recognition of DEFEAT, an inability to cope with someone in such an innocuous place as an online forum.

I largely agree with that. To me, ignore means you disagree, but have run out of arguments. Of course there are people where reasonable arguments don't work, but I always first try with reason.

Ignore on the forums is equivalent on blocking someone on social network, a feature that has some merit but which I use only very sparsely. In 3 years, chatting with hundreds of boys, I had to block only 2.

Although when people keep quoting the one that i ignore, i cant help but read them haha

LOL!  In forums where unpopular posts are hidden (they don't have the "ignore"), I cannot resist the curiosity of seeing why they were hidden...

I have to agree with Christian's observation: "Also, putting someone on ignore is a recognition of DEFEAT, an inability to cope with someone in such an innocuous place as an online forum."

to which I have to add:  don't be such a sissy to be FORCED to "ignore" by some guy you don't like. Instead, hold your ground like a man, a gay man.  :)

don't be such a sissy to be FORCED to "ignore" by some guy you don't like. Instead, hold your ground like a man, a gay man.   :)

my underscore

perhaps not a good idea on a public forum where prolonged exchange of petty  'arguments' interesting  only to two interlocutors holding their ground  may lead to desertion of others from  the thread or even whole board.