faranglaw

New rules for tourist visas?

So, being genreally out to lunch about what is happening in the world, I am sitting in the airport in Vancouver, on my way to LOS, and reading about the frightening changes in entry visas to Thailand. For 20+ years, Dear Husband and I have always booked our tickets from Bangkok to Vancouver, rather than from Vancouver, as it's usually cheaper. So I have always arrived and gotten the 30 day stamp on arrival, woth no return ticket in hand. Now the websites tell me they are asking for a return ticket as proof I will not overstay.

I also read that getting an extension is not so easy anymore. I am planning to stay 40-45 days.

I apologize for asking this, as I think the topic may have been discussed quite a bit elsewhere, but Any insights would be most welcome. Is anyone getting hassled on arrival, trouble extending beyond 30 days, etc?

Obviously I will get this taken care of here in Canada next time!

Thanks....

Guest abang1961

I propose this as a solution to beat the immigration rules.

Buy a cheap ticket from Airasia to a destination nearby..since you got to show a get-out ticket..

I mean to say that throwing away USD 40 is much cheaper than getting entry denials.

Of course, you can USE that ticket as a break from Thailand.

http://www.airasia.com/my/en/home.page?gclid=CjwKEAiA7ejCBRDlp8uF6ezPnjoSJAAPED7M39GM0Q9NWPkuouGJOKssZJPYDdpS9c4fgYZiKzuNqxoCyzTw_wcB

As a Canadian arriving with a 30 days visa exempt stamp, you shouldn't have a problem to get an extension of stay for another 30 days from your local immigration office. Nowadays they might want to see proof of where you reside (within their jurisdiction), but otherwise nothing has changed.

As for the outbound ticket, it's unlikely that immigration wants to see it in your case, but your airline might require it if you fly to Thailand without having a visa or re-entry permit. They might be willing to waive that requirement if you sign an indemnity form. It's probably best to check with them before.

Now in transit in Seoul. Thanks for the advice. It should be ok unless things have changed quite radically. I just wondered if anyone had noticed a change.

Hornet boys, herre I come!

You should have no problem at all. I have flown many airlines and had many extensions (for visa and visa exempt stays), only on my last trip (Taipei to Bangkok with China Airlines) was I asked for a ticket out of Thailand*.

As for the outbound ticket, it's unlikely that immigration wants to see it in your case, but your airline might require it if you fly to Thailand without having a visa or re-entry permit. They might be willing to waive that requirement if you sign an indemnity form. It's probably best to check with them before.

There might be two sides to this: the cost for the airline to take you back if immigration refuses entry (that can be taken care by signing an indemnity form), and the airline might get a warning? And I assume Thai immigration states "air ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of entering".

*within 30 days of entering, as I had no visa. My flight home is 60 days after entering, which didn't count, even after discussing 30 days extension with airline staff. The simplest solution at that time (with a bit over 1 hour left until flight takes off) was buying a refundable flight at the airport. Now I have a China Airlines flight Bangkok to Taipei which cost me 25 kTHB, already charged to my credit card, and am in the process to cancel my booking and have the price refunded (minus processing fees). Future flights need better preparation.

Guest ryanasia

Buy a fully refundable ticket if you can. Whatever the charge won't matter because you cancel it. If it is $2,000 it doesn't matter it is just a place holder. There will be no cancellation fees.

There are too many farangs overstaying in Thailand. So that's why they have tightened the rules.

You can get another month extension but you have to pay around 1000 to 2000 baht.

Another way is to exit by bus to a neighbouring country (Malaysia, Burma, Laos) and come back again but that will only give you 15 days.

If you are from a G-7 country, you will get 30 day permission to stay at a land border - http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html. The G-7 countries are: USA, UK, Canada, Italy, France, Germany, & Japan.  Applications for extension of stay is 1,900 baht.

Guest abang1961

Well may I reiterate that the legal way to further your stay in Thailand is to visit the neighbouring countries like Singapore, Malaysia where it is almost visa-free for most of us, guys.

If you can endure a 2 hr flight in a school bus (yes the leg room is limited but it is definitely better than the minivan), expenditure in another country doesn't shot up that much.  

Worst case scenario -come stay in my guest room.

Many old Europeans/Americans overstay in Thailand and can stay for a few years just by travelling by land many times in a year.

This new ruling is good but it is not true. Read here

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/new-visa-rules.php

I wouldn't rely on the thaiembassy.com website.  It is not official and may not be up-to-date.  The official no-messing-around government regulation that just came out saying that there is now a limit of 2x visa-exempt entries at land border crossings per calendar year is reported and discussed on the thaivisa,com forum.  

The immigration stuff is still confusing

And contradictory. I read somewhere that even people with valid tourist visas

Have been denied entry at airports on

Occasion officer saying they are too close together. That would seem to negate

Come as often as u wish stuff.

Always up to discretion of officers at

Airport or border anyway.

Kokopelli that is confusing for me ,  is multiple entry available now with 60 day visa ?  

Currently there are two tourist visas - single entry ($40) and multiple entry ($200).  For the single entry visa, I think but have not verified, so don't rely - you can still get a re-entry permit before departure at Suvarnabhumi or BKK immigration office for about 1,000 Baht.  

Kokopelli that is confusing for me ,  is multiple entry available now with 60 day visa ?  

Only single entry 60 Tourist Permit which can be extended by another 30 days while in Thailand.

There is a METV, Multiple Entry Tourist Visa, which is valid for 6 months however you have to leave every 60 days, or less,  and then can return. There are a number of financial requirements required for this METV such as a certain amount of money in the bank, etc.

Currently there are two tourist visas - single entry ($40) and multiple entry ($200).  For the single entry visa, I think but have not verified, so don't rely - you can still get a re-entry permit before departure at Suvarnabhumi or BKK immigration office for about 1,000 Baht.  

According to Thai Visa Forum you can get a re-entry permit if you come on a single entry  60 day tourist visa for a fee, of course.