reader

What foreigners think

Excerpts from Buriram Times

A poll about attitudes to prostitution clearly shows that Thais believe that when foreigners think of Thailand, they think of sex.

A whopping 58% of Thais asked in the Bansomdej poll said that foreigners see Thailand as a leading sex destination of the world.

The poll asked 1,158 Thai people in Bangkok their opinions and came in the wake of comments in foreign media about places like Pattaya and the sex scandal developing in Mae Hong Sorn.

The survey showed that people believed that the  trade was shifting from traditional places to the internet with more than 61% saying they had seen evidence of the Thai sex trade online.

Nearly 53% believed it was time to invoke the powers of Article 44 to curb the trade.

More than half of the people polled, 53%, said that they were aware of prostitution in Thailand in some way. In public the majority of those still see prostitutes touting for business in the capital at places like Lumpini Park or Wong Wian Yai in Thonburi.

Others see the trade at cafes and karaoke, or know of it in massage establishments of both the soapy and traditional kind or through the internet.

Some 61% of people online saw evidence of the Thai sex trade there.

Asked why people turn to the sex trade 30% said it was economic hardship, 25% thought people were tricked or forced into it, 21% said poverty in families was to blame while nearly 12% pointed to greed and consumerism.

The results of the poll taken between April 26-28th were announced on Saturday.

(Source:Daily News)

http://www.buriramtimes.com/thais-believe-foreigners-see-thailand-place-sex/

I wonder if those interviewees are aware that Thai men, not foreigners, make up the vast majority of those using prostitutes.

If they "invoke the powers of Article 44 to curb the trade" it will be the locals who suffer more, not the tourists. So it will never be invoked. We can go elsewhere for sex; they can't.

Guest ryanasia

I wonder if those interviewees are aware that Thai men, not foreigners, make up the vast majority of those using prostitutes.

If they "invoke the powers of Article 44 to curb the trade" it will be the locals who suffer more, not the tourists. So it will never be invoked. We can go elsewhere for sex; they can't.

The lady doth protest too much. I mean spend 5 minutes on a site like this and I couldn't imagine how anybody would get the wrong impression about us. Awhile back I asked if the sex scene disappeared would people still come. The standard answer was yes because I can still find sex on the apps. 

The random Thais surveyed aren't exactly wrong and if you asked a cross section of the world about what people think of Thailand it would probably go about the same percentage. Thailand is well known to be the world's brothel and I don't think this shows Thais being judgmental. Get in a taxi, first question asked is if you want a lady, ladyboy, boy or goat. It isn't meant to be judgmental they are trying to be practical. 

Tell me honestly when you book your ticket to Thailand you think of elephant rides.

This is an opinion poll though. They think thats what is happenning doesnt mean its really happening. Plus 50+ percent isnt high at all. In a poll that only have 2 answer, yes or no, 50% means nothing

This is an opinion poll though. They think thats what is happenning doesnt mean its really happening. Plus 50+ percent isnt high at all. In a poll that only have 2 answer, yes or no, 50% means nothing

Now if the poll was limited to members here I think we'd be looking at a number >95%.

Yes, the vast majority.  The sex industry catering to foreigners is just the tip of the iceberg or the loose foreskin of a long cock, if you like. One of our lecturers tried to sell us the silly story that 90% of the prostitutes in Thailand are foreign.  We laughed so hard that she had to step out of the class to re-affix her face.

Tell me honestly when you book your ticket to Thailand you think of elephant rides.

Honestly, I can't tell you that because when I book my ticket to Thailand I think of temples, Buddhism and the melodious Thai language.   Elephant rides are cruel. ;)