Guest tom2014

returning to bangkok - tips to swap

just take some money out 20,000 a pull and have some when you come. It isn't a difficult issue.

You mean if asked at immigration to show 20,000, you just go to an ATM and withdraw the money? That thought entered my mind as well (better than carrying 20,000 THB in cash with me, in addition to about 500 Euro or USD depending on where I go), but I forgot once again to check in Suvarnabhumi if there are ATMs before immigration.

I have a friend from Singapore who runs a business in Thailand and she says a recently updated Thai bank statement/passbook showing the requisite amount or more would also be acceptable.

That might be. Actually Thai embassy in Saigon accepts only recent bank book with >20,000 THB, but not cash as proof of funding. Actually I bring both, cash and bank book. But when I entered in Sadao, immigration officer said "Show me the money!" and I don't think she would have accepted bank book.

There are no ATMs before going through inbound immigration. You need to have the cash before you land.

Edited to add: I think the consensus on forums such as ThaiVisa is that you've already made their shit list if and when they ask you to show funds (I've never been asked​ so far). At least at airports, some land borders seem to be notorious. In that case, they are looking for reasons to deny entry and it's very unlikely that they will accept anything other than cash or travelers checks.