Badboy81

Trip 2 to BKK in June

Jeez some people would really better stay at home! If you're that worried about getting injured taking a tuk tuk ride in Bangkok, I wonder what will happen once you realize that the country as a whole isn't much safer? People got electrocuted in swimming pools, should we add staying out of swimming pools to the travel advisory?

I still think that riding 6000 miles in a plane is safer than riding 600 meters in a tuk-tuk. 

And while I have to ride the plane, I can do perfectly well without the tuk-tuk.

For the tourist, a tuk-tuk ride will cost at least twice of a taxi. Some people might find riding a tuk-tuk fun, I don't and haven't for years. Sometimes for fun I silently observe tourists negotiating with tuk-tuk drivers in tourist places, and inwardly cry "Get a taxi!".

BurBoy is now an 11-year Bangkok resident, and once in a while he flags a tuktuk for us. He negotiates the price and sometimes the route, and it's always a fun ride. And getting wet during songkran while on a tuktuk is definitely a unique experience.

And when you get to Cambodia, tuktuks are inevitable, safe or not. There's even a gay tuktuk driver on Grindr that I found in Siem Reap that I should get next time.

Guest ryanasia

I second Vinapu's suggestion on the Ayuthaya trip.

If you go to Ayuthaya go to Iudia and ask for the Yamada room which is pool front. It is a bit more than 4,000 a night but well worth it. If you call them they will give you a discount over booking online.

an example of poverty in a third world country. 

this is why visitors are going to third world country,

shiny  BTS , MRT and malls along Sunhumvis are as representative to Thailand prosperity as decaying streets of Detroit or Flint Michigan are  posters of America's dynamism and well being.

Not to mention that poverty in third world means that population moves on legs with ox cart being luxury , not motorized transport of any kind. 

For the tourist, a tuk-tuk ride will cost at least twice of a taxi. Some people might find riding a tuk-tuk fun, I don't and haven't for years.

The Tuk Tuk ride is great fun for the first time & has to be tried once.     That's why tourists try it.

I tried a Bangkok tuk tuk on my first trip, enjoyed it & haven't been on one since.   

On the other hand, in Cambodia I've had more frequent Tuk Tuk rides, since there is less hassle getting a sensible price & fewer alternatives.

this is why visitors are going to third world country,

Many visitors go to third world countries because prices are cheap.  You don't find tuk-tuk-s in Tokyo or Singapore.

Not to mention that poverty in third world means that population moves on legs with ox cart being luxury , not motorized transport of any kind. 

I move mostly on legs throughout Tokyo and Singapore, and they are not third world.

Compare to mini vans, Tuk Tuks are almost harmless.

Maybe if a tuk tuk hits something you fly out 100 meters, while with a minivan you remain trapped inside?

Years ago the objection to the use of seat belts was raised with a similar scenario.

There's no safe mode of transportation in Thailand, except for flying. The single biggest mistake tourists make is renting motorbikes despite being unfamiliar with riding them in general or how to ride in Thailand in particular.

Other than staying away from that, I wouldn't overthink it, but I definitely would have adequate insurance coverage.

I've met some tourists whose tuk tuk had flipped over. They had some bruises and a great story to tell.

I've only been once. It was fun, hot and exhausting. Is it just me or are all the markets selling the same crap? Nice to visit once or twice but nothing worthwhile buying. I'd only go back to eat some food

Crap is relative...I liked the market a lot and went on my last trip on Saturday and Sunday and bought a lot of things I cant get back here in the states....Ill definitely be visiting on Saturday and maybe Sunday on my next trip...

And the food was great!!!

Maybe if a tuk tuk hits something you fly out 100 meters, while with a minivan you remain trapped inside?

Years ago the objection to the use of seat belts was raised with a similar scenario.

It's not the 100 meter flight out that gets you; it's the sudden stop.