GoldMember

BKK 2018 visit plan

Hey guys, it has been way too long since my last visit to BKK!

Now that I have setteled into parenthood, I feel again the need to visit my favourite city in the world. My partner and I have a new agreement in which I am entitled for 2 solo sex trips a year. After returning last week from Barcelona I am now planning my next one, preferably to BKK.

I have for this a long weekend which I will dedicate fully to BKK. Trip goals are circuit parties and sex. My question for those experienced in sex and party BKK travel: which is better, White Party or Songkran? Any thoughts or advice? I know it is a little early for this but I need to start planning if I am going for new year's evening. Having a baby (which is great! BTW haha) makes planning more difficult.

Off topic - Sauna Thermas in Barcelona is rentboy heaven. I have never seen or been in such a place. For 50 euros short time you get to fuck muscle gods that resemble or even better than those in Tawan. And, in my opinion, they are way more sexual. Highly recommended!

Welcome back, long time no hear from  you ! I guess more than 1 year.

Glad to hear parenthood is going very well.

As for your question hope numazu will chip in as he has experience  for comparison of  both. If you have a time read his trips reports from both end of year 2016 trip and Songkran this year  which you being busy parent could overlook here. 

Great to hear you'll be back soon!

I think the Songkran circuit parties are more fun and I'm a fan of Songkran in general. Others basically hate it and that obviously makes quite a difference.

For NYE, on the other hand, for me Bangkok doesn't stand out as a place to be. In fact I often escape Bangkok over New Years and go elsewhere.

I really did enjoy the songkran parties and festival this year.   I think big difference here is the number of gayboys flying into town for the event.  some hotels you are not the minority!   If you dont get into the water festival part, yes the town is very disjointed with lots of closures and you not wanted to go outside getting wet.  And dont forget how HOT it is! 

NYE less party party.... and i would suggest the town is also much more chilled with many places closed for the holiday period, streets empty of traffic and fresh clean air at that time of year.   

Both times are my favourite times of year to visit. 

Guest samebb

If you don't mind being soaked head to toe for 3 days then Songkran is the time to come. numazu can advise you on the circuit parties as I have never attended, not my thing. 

Songkran this year was one of the most enjoyable times in recent memory for me. I had the pleasure of spending most of it with some of the board members here and it was fantastic. 

As for your question hope numazu will chip in as he has experience  for comparison of  both.

numazu can advise you on the circuit parties as I have never attended, not my thing.

I'll try PMing him, maybe he has some advice. 

NYE less party party.... and i would suggest the town is also much more chilled with many places closed for the holiday period, streets empty of traffic and fresh clean air at that time of year.   

This is important! What does it mean "places closed"? Bars? Tawan? I'm not flying 10 hours just to discover my favorite bar closed... 

In general I will add some information that is guiding me. As mentioned, Songkran sounds like the best time of year to come for sex & party. But 2 things are guiding me towards White party on NYE. The first and obvious one is that NYE is only 4.5 months away. The second and more important one (for me), is the DJ lineup. They recently published the DJ lineup of the white party. That lineup is very impressive with some world top DJ's. Also, they have the main DJ unrevealed yet. It is rumored that my favorite DJ is the one: Offer Nissim. If this is true this will make this DJ lineup one of the best I have seen concentrated in one festival. Last year's DJ lineup of Songkran pales in comparison to the White Party's lineup (this is of course also a matter of taste and opinion). 

So it sounds like it is going to be a very good white party. But, if Bangkok and the bars will be closed then maybe it is better to be patient and go for gCircuit on Songkran. Also, If it is true that much more gay guys are coming worldwide that makes it also something to consider. Any more thoughts or advice? 

I agree with ozmouse that air is more pleasant at end of year but absolutely don't worry about  bars and other entertainment being closed .

Speaking from experience , in fact my first ever off from Tawan was in the evening of Dec 29 / 2014. This is high season after all. Odd boy may go home at that time but this may happen at any time of the year . So in short again don't worry about any bar closures.

Just make sure you book your hotel in advance if you decide on NYE trip, which by the way doesn't stop you from coming for Songkran since you allowed 2 trips if I recall correctly and Songkran is another year so you can use 2018 limit for that.

I agree with ozmouse that air is more pleasant at end of year but absolutely don't worry about bars and other entertainment being closed .

Speaking from experience , in fact my first ever off from Tawan was in the evening of Dec 29 / 2014. This is high season after all. Odd boy may go home at that time but this may happen at any time of the year . So in short again don't worry about any bar closures.

Just make sure you book your hotel in advance if you decide on NYE trip, which by the way doesn't stop you from coming for Songkran since you allowed 2 trips if I recall correctly and Songkran is another year so you can use 2018 limit for that.

I don't need fresh air. I need hot guys haha. Yes, I could do them both this year but I want some diversity in my trips. I thought about WP/Songkran for winter/spring and some european pride or festival for summer/autumn. If I go for WP this year, I'll do Songkran the next year or the year after. I have so many festivals and circuit events I wanna attend, it will take me at least till I am 40 haha. This includes (but not limited) to: White Party Palm Springs, The Week Brazil, Xlsior Mykonos, Mardis Gras Sydney, Taipei Pride, Miami winter party, Montreal Pride, Folsom Berlin and so many more... But all in good time. Now just need to think about WP vs. Songkran. :)

I'll try PMing him, maybe he has some advice. 

This is important! What does it mean "places closed"? Bars? Tawan? I'm not flying 10 hours just to discover my favorite bar closed... 

Sorry wrong impression given.... Almost all bars, tawan open during NYE period.  They may have less boys around as they may travel back to family for holiday.  contact your favourite bar on internet, to confirm if they closing.  Im not aware of any soi twilight bars closing.

Im more taking regular street life in silom/saladeang/sathorn..... Lots of family run restaurants close.  regular carts not on corners.    

there are more closures during songkran because holiday is longer (4 days) and and any business on silom road (and silom soi 4)  def close because of the street party.  

My experience with gsircuit party for 4 nights, plus water fights during the day, was all encompassing and i did not go to soi twilight at all during this period (although i had other plans ;-)  At my age i just cant do it all.....

Hey Goldmember!

WP vs SK

First, without even referencing to the content, I just wanna say thanks for your time and effort! And also for the very valuable information you have provided. It's a really great comparison and it did help me focus. 

• *Offer Nissim. Holy crap this is worth choosing White Party all by itself. I was there at the Infinita Party during Madrid World Pride last July, when he played his set, and was blown away by it:

Verdict: Go to both. LOL. Life is too short. I've gone to both the past two years. Only way to go buddy lol.

I now have a pretty good idea - I will probably go for both. But as I said - not in the same year since I want some diversity. As it looks now, and according to what you have written I think I'll do WP this year and SK next year. The main reason for that is indeed my favorite DJ Offer Nissim. Without him I would probably even not have WP in my list but the combination of 2 of my most favorite things (Offer & Bangkok) tempts me to come for NYE. 

I will wait for September for the official announcement. I am quite certain that he is coming since WP FB page states that they have a mega DJ coming that will be announced soon. A couple of days before TLV pride an article was published on a major Israeli news site regarding Offer promoting his pride performance. The closing statement of that article is: בסילבסטר 2018 יופיע בבנגקוק. Which translates to: On NYE he will perform in Bangkok. 

Offer Nissim is a legend in Israel. I am not exaggerating. He used to perform 5-6 times a year until most of the venues got over packed and shut down by the police. We currently do not have any closed club that can contain the gay crowd that come for him. So, it appears that he will only do one gig a year in TLV pride for us (in an open field). This is a taste from last TLV pride.  

So let's wait and see what the September announcement will state. Although even without him the DJ lineup is really impressive. Especially DJ Suri and Sagi Kariv which are kinda big world wide as well (linked some nice new sets). But lets wait and see.     

• I think as a Westerner (at least me, the American), New Year, and New Year's eve, holds more cache and meaning than Songkran, a Buddhist holiday. So doing the New Year midnight kiss, for example, means more to me than getting soaked head to toe during Songkran.

• *The event for New Year's 2018 is four nights, instead of the usual three in the past. SK didn't do 4 in the past 3 I've been in, even during SK10. If you are me though, I run out of gas when I get to the 3rd night, so this might not matter.

*Highly recommended getting the hotel in Centara Grand Central, if you can afford it, if you don't to get wet in your outfit.

For me, NYE is as meaningless as SK and as meaningless as the Jewish new year (which is in just a month). I'm coming to party :)

I too will probably go only to 2-3 parties (for sure skipping the opening one). I don't want to force it and I also want a little time to enjoy the city, bars, Tawan etc. I also don't do G or E so I need at least some sleep between parties haha. 

Regarding accommodation for WP. I usually love staying in Le Meridian on Surawong near the bars. Do you also recommend taking accommodation near the venue for WP or only for SK?

Thanks again!!! 

I now have a pretty good idea - I will probably go for both. But as I said - not in the same year since I want some diversity. 

I told you so

... book your hotel in advance if you decide on NYE trip, which by the way doesn't stop you from coming for Songkran since you allowed 2 trips if I recall correctly and Songkran is another year so you can use 2018 limit for that.

I now have a pretty good idea - I will probably go for both. But as I said - not in the same year since I want some diversity. As it looks now, and according to what you have written I think I'll do WP this year and SK next year.

You mean you'll do WPBKK2018 and SK2019? I might doing both depending on what happens in the next month. Definitely SK2019 as it is on my birthday. WPBKK2018 is still up in the air for me. Like i said New Year's hold more cache for me so I might check out another part of the world for New Year's Eve parties.

I also don't do G or E so I need at least some sleep between parties haha.

I also do not do any party drugs (or any drugs actually), and usually don't drink that much while at circuit parties. I am the odd duck that likes to experience most things sober. But I do drink socially and usually have a nice buzz at the end of the party. I have friends who do E, and don't judge them for it. They have fun, and I do as well.

Regarding accommodation for WP. I usually love staying in Le Meridian on Surawong near the bars. Do you also recommend taking accommodation near the venue for WP or only for SK?

Well, depends on what you want. Getting accommodations at the Centara Grand Central is advantageous mainly for two reasons:

1. Getting back to your hotel after the party: After the party, and if you don't walk back from Central to your hotel and prefer taking a taxi, the taxis that wait at street level will cost you an arm and a leg. They usually jack up the prices because they know most of the party-goers are tourists. BurBoy and I walked back to our condo after the party (its a nice stroll and you get to sample the street food). My BF and I walked as well but our hotel was just catty corner from the party venue.

2. If you fancy someone at the party, and want to take them back to your room, its convenient if your hotel room was in the same building. I've had some farang friends who do that and it has worked for them the past few parties. You never know if an asian hottie may fancy you, and if your room (or his) is not in Central, having to take a taxi back to your hotel (or theirs) sometimes is a buzzkill. You can do the deed and then afterwards, just take the elevator to go back to the party for more fun.

Let us know what you decide to do!

You mean you'll do WPBKK2018 and SK2019? I might doing both depending on what happens in the next month. Definitely SK2019 as it is on my birthday. WPBKK2018 is still up in the air for me. Like i said New Year's hold more cache for me so I might check out another part of the world for New Year's Eve parties.

Not sure yet but that seems like a very possible and tempting plan.

I also do not do any party drugs (or any drugs actually), and usually don't drink that much while at circuit parties. I am the odd duck that likes to experience most things sober. But I do drink socially and usually have a nice buzz at the end of the party. I have friends who do E, and don't judge them for it. They have fun, and I do as well.

I feel kinda same! I too only have a couple of beers just to get to a nice mood but not more. I am kinda envious sometimes since I see most of my friends on E or G and it seems like they enter another dimension. Problem is that every single person I saw starting with those could not enjoy parties without their substance of choice. So even I am kinda tempted, I don't want the dependency. Considering the fact that I enjoy parties anyway I'm avoiding those.

Well, depends on what you want. Getting accommodations at the Centara Grand Central is advantageous mainly for two reasons:

1. Getting back to your hotel after the party: After the party, and if you don't walk back from Central to your hotel and prefer taking a taxi, the taxis that wait at street level will cost you an arm and a leg. They usually jack up the prices because they know most of the party-goers are tourists. BurBoy and I walked back to our condo after the party (its a nice stroll and you get to sample the street food). My BF and I walked as well but our hotel was just catty corner from the party venue.

2. If you fancy someone at the party, and want to take them back to your room, its convenient if your hotel room was in the same building. I've had some farang friends who do that and it has worked for them the past few parties. You never know if an asian hottie may fancy you, and if your room (or his) is not in Central, having to take a taxi back to your hotel (or theirs) sometimes is a buzzkill. You can do the deed and then afterwards, just take the elevator to go back to the party for more fun.

1. Sounds about right. Although I don't mind being ripped off 2-3 times by BKK taxi since when you convert the ripping off fee back to home currency, it's still usually peanuts compared to being ripped off in a western countrt...

2. That's a very reasonable scenario... Although I don't exit and reenter parties. I usually leave at the end. If I meet someone usually we makeout at the party and if we really click we go at the end to my/his room.

I think I'll go for Le Meridian. Still need to think about what you said. I'll deal with it once it becomes relevant.

Let us know what you decide to do!

I sure will! Probably will know in about a month - after they announce the special DJ and I talk to my BF about my plans. Please update as well if you are coming! Thanks again!

So, finally, this happened today:

post-13898-0-90519100-1510816705_thumb.png

WPBKK18, here I come. Yet another too short trip, but it is better than having no trip :)

If anyone wants to have a drink and meet, I would love that. 

P.S Namazu, thanks for the hotel (and all the) advice, I decide to go with your hotel recommendation. Will report! 

I’ll be there 2 nd Feb looking for aqyaintance to team up with.

Which hotel was recommended?

Ill be in BKK Dec 29th noon till Jan 1st eve.

Regarding hotel, I'm travelling especially for the NYE white party which is at Centralworld. So, by Namazu's advice, I took the hotel that is at Centralworld called Centara Grand. There is absolutely no good reason to book that hotel if you are not coming for the parties. If you are just coming for regular BKK bar/gogo/massage fun, my personal favorite is Le Meridien which is walking distance from most places of my interest. It is a 5 star hotel so if you are looking for something more modest, there are more experienced people here than I am. I like to spoil myself when I travel to the best city in the world.

Off topic - Sauna Thermas in Barcelona is rentboy heaven. I have never seen or been in such a place. For 50 euros short time you get to fuck muscle gods that resemble or even better than those in Tawan. And, in my opinion, they are way more sexual. Highly recommended!

Interesting.  50 euros is about 60 US dollars, or 2000 baht.  Entrance to this sauna is about 700 baht, so it is 2700 baht for a short time with a premium model, plus all the facilities of a gay sauna.  This is not much more expensive than offing a short time in BKK plus the cost of off fee and drinks.   And I would find it much more comfortable and direct than having to spend time in the bar, negotiate with the bar, take the boy to the hotel, etc.  I find that the gay sauna is the best environment to have gay sex, so this appeals to me.  Of course it is even better to get it for free, but this sauna does not seem to be the ideal place for this.