CurtisD

Car Service to/from Pattaya

my bagagge is always huge with 23 kg plus a big hand luggage - would i have problems with that going by public bus?

the inter-city public buses all have luggage facilities, the problem is more likely to be getting you and your suitcase and hand luggage to/from the bus stations - or in vinapu's example of using the 39 Baht train the train station - if you want to be lugging your luggage along Bangkok's notorious footpaths then navigate  the BTS/MRT to get to a bus/train station and then Pattaya's super comfortable baht buses or walking to your hotel then up to you, but I couldn't be bothered

bkkguy

This thread prompted me to check international road casualty statistics. I know this is a massive deviation from our normal discussions but here goes.

The comparison between the UK and Thailand looks even worse against the latter when,looking at road deaths per 100,000 vehicles.

Thailand has 24,237 deaths in a recent year compared with U.K. of 1827. Per 100,000 vehicles it’s 74.6 as against 5.1 respectively.

UK is one of the better countries, but if you really want to be ultra safe on the road better go to Finland with 4.4.

If you want to live dangerously, Afghanistan is your place, unsurprisingly with 722.

I very much accept that Thai road deaths are very much worsened by the large proportion of motor cycles there, which are inherently unsafe, whereas in the U.K. they are a very small proportion of traffic. However the Thai habit of driving very close to the vehicle in front makes me very nervous, as does the lack of Lane discipline. For airport to Pats and vice-versa I will be on a big bus on arrival at the end of January for my next trip !. Numerous Buddha medals dangling from the rear view mirror do not reassure me at all.

I had to take the public bus sitting next to a talkative Belgium guy regaling me with observations about girlie bars. He became much quieter when I said I was gay !.

It would have been polite if you reciprocated to the Belgian guy by describing your experiences with gogo boys and gay massage places, with explicit opinions about the off fees, tips for short and long time, and the plus and cons of getting the services of money boys through the web sites.

hello,

normally i took always a regular taxi from the airport to Pattaya, but i own a little bus company so I´m always interested to go by bus in Thailand. My problem is - my bagagge is always huge with 23 kg plus a big hand luggage - would i have problems with that going by public bus?

Forgive my curiosity, but what forces you to travel with 23+kg of baggage as a tourist in Thailand?  Is it that you vacation for many months, or you need to take some medical supplies?

On serious note , while all that street chaos is dangerous and tiring it adds greatly to a charm of  the country and makes trip so interesting. Thanks God not all the world is Japan, Singapore or Switzerland  

You must be very young at heart, because your opinion reminds me of that of young people about self-driving cars. Even if such cars promise to be much safer and avoid deadly collisions with other cars and objects, they don't look forwards of giving up "the fun of driving".  I must be getting old because this fun of driving has nearly vanished in me, being replaced by a hope that when really, really old and increasingly disabled I will have a loyal car that drives me around while I enjoy the scenery.

Forgive my curiosity, but what forces you to travel with 23+kg of baggage as a tourist in Thailand?  Is it that you vacation for many months, or you need to take some medical supplies?

I always bring two pieces of luggage at 23 kg when coming to Thailand. I do live here now but even in the past on shorter excursions I did the same.

Only exceptions were when flying Biz Class then I brought even more.  ;)

My luggage came to 16.2kg, including clothes for 12 days (laundry is cheap in Thailand), extensive toiletries, sun tan lotions, mozzie repellents, 2 android tablets, 3 phones (one too many) & a camera.    How could I possibly get that up to 2 x 23 kg ?

As for road safety, the UK used to be one of the best countries in Europe.

Thailand has:

1  Many motorcycles

2  No pavements

3 Baht buses, with poor protection for passengers

4 Lunatic minibus drivers

5  A culture of not wearing seatbelts, which is exceedingly stupid

6  Generally careless driving, despite relatively low speed

7 Poor road layout

It's not surprising the death rate is higher.     I don't worry about it at all, although I do avoid motorcycle taxis (in Thailand), travelling without a seatbelt & try to avoid standing on the back platform of baht buses.

as for my luggage this is post I made in my Sept trip report :

" as for travelling light, answer is yes , here's my main luggage and daypack which works as carry-on on the plane as well.

Luggage weight on departure was 9.4 kg

secrets of travelling light are minimum number of souvenirs and  doing  my laundry daily myself

The Economist just for size comparing as it's well known paper of standard size"

post-13775-0-50903000-1515199502_thumb.jpg

I travel by bus from Bangkok to Pattaya

Tue 22aug2017

Bangkok to Pattaya by public transport (bus 46 to Bangna Trat bus station, bus 48 to North Pattaya bus station, songtheo to South Pattaya) 9+108+10=127 THB and 3 h 50 min door-to-door.

And return by train or van (because the van leaves near Tuk-Com, walking distance from my accommodation).

I take as much luggage as I can from Germany to Thailand, most of it is cheese and chocolate to last me for months in Thailand.

Randome response to previous posts.

1   The platform on the back of the baht bus has approximately zero structural performance in a rear end shunt.    

2    Whilst I approve of traveling light, daily laundry is taking it too far for me.    I can do 1 week summer breaks in Europe using hand luggage & 8 sets of underwear & T-shirts.  I could probably make the same work in Thailand, but for now it's a 16kg check in rucksack.   But you have met thinking about it.

3  The Economist shows very good taste in reading.

4 If I lived in Bangkok and didn't work, I would also be taking the bus on every single trip to Pattaya, just like Christian.   On holidays, time becomes more important and I only take the bus if there is (for example) a short haul flight arriving in BKK early afternoon.