reader

40 million to 16 million

From Bangkok Post

TAT expects 16m international tourists

Thailand is likely to close this year with only 16 million international tourists and 60 million domestic trips, far below the pre-coronavirus targets of 40 million and 172 million respectively, according to Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

The estimates have the country losing almost 24 million tourists and 1.9 trillion baht in revenue compared with last year, which saw arrivals soar to 39.8 million and revenue climb to 1.93 trillion baht.

"This revised forecast assumes tourism activities can resume in May, with the outbreak in Thailand levelling off while overseas infections subside," said TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn. "The industry needs to watch the situation closely before commencing business."

On 4/20/2020 at 10:16 AM, 10tazione said:

I am already one of the 16 millions so my hope is to count 2x.
But 16 millions sounds rather optimistic to me ? So far there was only january and february, and february was already far from normal.

I agree 16 millions is far too optimistic forecast 2020 is a lost year for tourism I believe the number will be well bellow ten millions tourists.

Cathy Pacific and American are offering some phenomenal pricing for west coast USA to Bangkok in the late fall  I booked for the end of November.  If it doesn't wok out...I';; have lost a small amount of dollars...which will be offset in the interim by thought of travel to LOS.