floridarob

Booked ticket for December

Very true, assuming we can believe the figures. My boyfriend's  province (Kamphaeng Phaet) has barely been touched and yet he has observed the lock down conscientiously, including not going to the hospital when I wanted him to. I suspect that maybe Thai citizens have  obeyed the restrictions better than we have here in the UK.

However, what surprised me the most is that the ratio of deaths to infections is much higher here. I assume the treatment offered is comparable, so why? Some have suggested that Asians have developed some sort of partial immunity following other epidemics like SARS and chicken 'flu. 

Possible?

There is an article relating about asian countires policies on Tuberculosis vaccine has something to do with relatively low cases and low death rate early on. But then, we have indonesia and philliphines death rates that doesnt follow such trend.

A while back I read an article that basically said that it's a tough question and the research is only starting.  There are some factors that are relatively easy to identify, including the relative age of the populations being compared and the relative prevalence of other conditions (comorbidity?).  Thus, in the U.S. the population is comparatively older, and there's a much higher prevalence of obesity, hypertension, etc.  That might explain a lot of the difference.  But this particular article - which I think might had a focus on Pakistan - did note that researchers would be looking into all the potential factors they could imagine, including exposure to other diseases in the population.

I consider this to be  "pick a theory"  time. 

So many individuals, labs, governments, day dreamers looking for a way to get back to where things were. 

One of the best researchers I know is having his lab look for treatments 0f covid symptoms rather than a vaccine.  He theorizes a vaccine is in the not near  future and then it will take time to produce billions of doses and even more time to administer.  And in the interim, folks will have covid and need health care/treatments.

If I dwell on this too long, I could get depressed, so, instead, I'min the Bangkok by New Years theory group!

Stay well Forum members and voyeurs, (sorry, I meant visitors)