Covid 19 Test Required for Visa Extensions or NOT ????

Edit:  The article I linked to has been edited shortly after writing this post, with new references to officials backtracking on plans to require covid tests for visa extensions.  The original version confirmed tests would be needed.

My original post written before the update to the article is below.  So the comments only apply if they push ahead with the measure:

As mentioned yesterday, covid tests will aparently be required for visa extensions from next week.  I presume even for farang residing in provinces with no covid cases ?

1 A nice little revenue earner for the testing.

2 If it is like ASQ, then anyone who fails the test or has an inconclusive result will be sent to hospital, naturally at their expense.   It seems such rules were not applied to immigrants from Myanmar, so the rules are based on ability to pay, rather than science.   Even the RT-PCR test does not have 100% specificity.

This looks more like a scam than a rational scientific measure.

I extended my visa yesterday.  As for next winter's holiday, Thailand needs to be competitive with other destinations, assuming some are open at the time.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/01/19/covid-19-test-result-will-be-mandatory-for-all-visa-extensions/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

From 'Phuket News'  this morning.

Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Col Nareuwat Putthawiro told The Phuket News that his office has not received any such order from the Immigration Bureau main office in Bangkok or from higher-ranking officers at the regional headquarters in Songkhla.

“We do not require any medical documents for an application to renew a visa, because there are few foreigners’ movements outside Phuket. Most of them live and work in Phuket, and have done so before the new wave of COVID-19,” Col Nareuwat said.

“So they [foreigners] do not have to worry about it. Everything is still the same,” he added.

Col Nareuwat also noted that his understanding was that a COVID-19 test was still not required for foreigners to renew their work permits – a formal permit issued by the Employment Office that overlaps with many immigration applications.

And in another post "

From the Phuket Chief of Immigration Police :- “I apologize for the misunderstanding,” Maj. Gen. Archayon said. “It will only apply to certain types of visa, most likely the permanent resident visa.”

“I apologize for the misunderstanding,” Maj. Gen. Archayon said. “It will only apply to certain types of visa, most likely the permanent resident visa.”

In other words stay tuned! I got information that this was a requirement starting Jan 24th. Now, I hear maybe not for those here already and only for new incoming visa holders.

Here is the thing, if they do require this, I'm good with it. But, I doubt they will. Why?  More people would test positive and they don't want that! Why?  Ignorance is bliss and better for tourism.

21 minutes ago, Michael said:

In other words stay tuned! I got information that this was a requirement starting Jan 24th. Now, I hear maybe not for those here already and only for new incoming visa holders.

Here is the thing, if they do require this, I'm good with it. But, I doubt they will. Why?  More people would test positive and they don't want that! Why?  Ignorance is bliss and better for tourism.

They already require tests for arrivals.  I believe it is now 4 times, once at home, then 3 times in quarantine.  That's rational.

Subjecting anyone already here to testing according to race would not be rational.   It would be reprehensible if there's no scientific basis for the discrimination.

As you have been here for months, would you be OK with paying a few thousand baht for a test, then bring sent to hospital if you fail or have an inconclusive result ?  All at your expense ?  With no symptoms of course.

28 minutes ago, z909 said:

They already require tests for arrivals.  I believe it is now 4 times, once at home, then 3 times in quarantine.  That's rational.

Subjecting anyone already here to testing according to race would not be rational.   It would be reprehensible if there's no scientific basis for the discrimination.

As you have been here for months, would you be OK with paying a few thousand baht for a test, then bring sent to hospital if you fail or have an inconclusive result ?  All at your expense ?  With no symptoms of course.

Yes, I would be OK with it. But, it won't happen. What happens if the rates of reported cases go up? They shut down more. They purposefully don't want people tested.

I don't think it is racial. I think it is more about anyone from any other place.

I can't see the basis for testing tourists before extending their visa. In this case, the tourist has already been in the country for nearly two months and was tested multiple times before being release from quarantine. He has remained in Thailand and not traveled abroad.

If they are going to test tourists at the 60-day mark, then why not test all citizens every two months if the goal is to register more "positives'?

It must be clear by now that all available assets should be directed at inoculating the maximum number of people. Do that and the rationale for testing greatly diminishes.

Officials advocating for ideas like 60-day testing all have one thing in common: they all have good jobs. They haven't been made redundant by the decimation of the hospitality industry.

7 hours ago, Patanawet said:

“I apologize for the misunderstanding,” Maj. Gen. Archayon said. “It will only apply to certain types of visa, most likely the permanent resident visa.”

I was saying to a friend today the whole thing might be a new record in the Thai government's competition for the most idiotic and nonsensical regulation as well as the fastest flip-flop.

But then going on to say "most likely to the permanent resident visa" is another record on top of it. Why for PR's? EVERYone is already in the country in the exact same way as all other foreigners and indeed all Thais. Being in the country and thus being of equal Covid-risk as everyone else has nothing, nothing whatsoever, to do with visa type. Bureaucratic stupidity at it's best, again.... Probably just a flimsy attempt at a face-saving exit from the whole thing. 

When this came out this morning I just thought this is so idiotic, they will surely backtrack on it. I didn't have to wait long this time ;) 

The idea is barking mad.   Anyone already  in Thailand for a few weeks has no more covid risk than the Thais.   Figuring this out is not difficult.

I presume the objective is to raise revenue from the tests and raise more revenue for sending a few farang with false positives and inconclusives for a pointless hospital stay, at the expense of the farang.  Nothing more than a state sanctioned scam.

At the same time, they want to prop up the construction sector by selling apartments to farang, possibly bundled with an "elite" visa. To make that work Thailand needs to establish a reputation for treating such people well at all times.   Who would be interested in an "elite" visa if the entry rules can still change every 5 minutes ?

Threatening scams like this does not help build trust.

On 1/20/2021 at 10:32 PM, z909 said:

At the same time, they want to prop up the construction sector by selling apartments to farang, possibly bundled with an "elite" visa. To make that work Thailand needs to establish a reputation for treating such people well at all times.   Who would be interested in an "elite" visa if the entry rules can still change every 5 minutes ?

I am asked all the time why I don't buy here as opposed to rent. It is simple. I don't trust that the laws will not change to void foreign ownership of condos. I know a bit insane. But, you never know and as a non-citizen, I'm unwilling to take the risk.

That said, as a non-citizen I abide by their rules and laws. That is what we agree to when we enter the country.