TotallyOz

Need Advice

My boyfriend is 23 and we have been together for 4 years. His mother is 40 and very beautiful. She recently finished a massage class and is doing legit massages in her hometown. She is not a sex worker. She is a mother and a grandmother. The owner of the school offered her a job in Czech Republic for would make her over 40k baht a month. She is going to do this for one year. She had to pay 30k baht for the plane ticket. The trip has been postponed 3 times. I have been unable to get any information on where she will work or stay in Czech. I am also worried that this is not a legit thing and if she goes she will be put into a position that will make her choices limited. The boyfriend and I have both tried to talk her out of this but she is confident she wants to go as she thinks she will save enough money to buy a home. I am extremely worried as I adore her and she is a good mother and grandmother. She looks about 20 btw. Has anyone heard of Thai ladies doing this? Anyone heard any horror stories on this? I have about 10 days before she is supposed to leave and I would like to get as much information as I possibly can. Thanks.

Thailand must have an embassy or consulate in the Czech Republic. I would try to contact them, explain the story, and ask them if they know of any problems or reasons why she should reject the offer. I would also try to find out if they have a registration program or some way they can keep details of her contact information if she goes. Try to find out their advice. I can't think of anything else you can do.

Guest joseph44

The best thing to convince her of not going, is to translate your worries in money:

THB 40,000 a month is approx. CZK 19870 (Czech Koruna)

Cost of living, food, clothes, rent, amenities, etc. approx. ........... CZK 19870.

Czech isn't as expensive as neighbor Germany, but minimum wages in Germany are Euro 1300/month (CZK 32,292.00).

There won't be a lot of room for savings.......AND it's not only an airfare, someone has to guarantee her stay, she needs an insurance, and and......and that's probably why her trip was postponed time after time. Her trip will cost (her and/or someone else, approx. THB 150,000/THB 200,000). A trip can be retreived after her return to Thailand, but most of it has to be paid...........by who?

Please tell her stories about prostitution, being locked away, no where to go, passports taken away......

Both Gaybutton and joseph44 have given excellent advice. Take it! This should be approached with the most extreme caution. There have been stories on US tv about human trafficking in Eastern Europe. The chances that this proposition is anything other than that is quite unlikely, in my opinion.

Both Gaybutton and joseph44 have given excellent advice. Take it! This should be approached with the most extreme caution. There have been stories on US tv about human trafficking in Eastern Europe. The chances that this proposition is anything other than that is quite unlikely, in my opinion.

I agree completely with the above comments.

She will definitely be in danger and even if legitimate the money she brings home will be minimal.

Hi GT

I felt compelled to reply to your post regarding your BF's Mum. I have recent experience with Thai women being sent overseas especially to my last place of work in a couple of countries in Africa. My advice is make sure she does not go! What looks like an opportunity invairably turns out to be a scam. I'm from the UK(though have been in Pattaya for around 6months) and know all too well that Prague in the Czech Rebublic is the centre of vice and all things evil in Europe!

Massage and Prague (just google it!) only mean one thing so make sure she stays put mate.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the comments. I am working hard to try to get this not to happen and have talked till I am blue in the face. I will try several ideas here and let you know the results. Please keep any suggestions coming. It is GREATLY appreciated!

I think that you guys may be being over cautious. I have travelled in Eastern Europe recently, and there are number of Thai Massage places, staffed by ladies. That are completely legit(no extras). You should know that Thai Massage is appreciated the world over.

I would suggest getting the name of the venue in which she will be working, if legit it will have a website, and you can get a good idea from that about the kind of place it is.

I agree that this sounds very dangerous. If it were legit you would be able to get a straight answer to questions about exactly where she would be working. The Bt30000 for the plane ticket cost will likely then also turn into tens of thousands of a baht a month for housing and other expenses. So she will end up in indentured servitude if not outright slavery. You read all the time about people from poor countries who end up in human trafficking situations.

Guest joseph44
I think that you guys may be being over cautious. I have travelled in Eastern Europe recently, and there are number of Thai Massage places, staffed by ladies. That are completely legit(no extras). You should know that Thai Massage is appreciated the world over.

I would suggest getting the name of the venue in which she will be working, if legit it will have a website, and you can get a good idea from that about the kind of place it is.

If 'mother in law' is promised a job in Prague and therefore applies for a work permit and a visa, her employer has to take care of all the necessary paperwork BEFORE a visa is applied for.

IF that's the case, it might be legitimate, but if mother in law will leave for Czech Republic on a tourist visa, please hold your heart.

Otherwise, check this out (in Thai and English):

http://www.thaiembassy.cz/Consular%20Infos...rkersedited.pdf

on http://www.thaiembassy.cz you'll also find contact details of the Thai Embassy in Prague, give them a call.

Guest joseph44
Just an update: For now, it looks like it is a no go for her. Thank goodness. We are trying to get the money back she paid for the trip.

Great, maybe somehow frustrated, but happy after all.

Please beware, at some point this story might continue, because some Thai don't give up that easy.