firecat691614502759

Will the Olympics be a Black Eye for Brazil or a Success?

• Members

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/video-shows-gang-of-kids-mugging-people-in-broad-194552428.html

I don't know the source of this but I do know I always followed the rules of wearing no jewelry of any kind even cheap. No phones, or cameras except maybe in Ipanema ??

The economy seems to be in chaos and I hope some how the government will be able to control this sort of thing.

If not once again Billions will have been wasted on bringing the Olympics to a country that is not ready for it.

• Members

They wouldn't try that in MEM. We go armed and shoot felons. Or, as some say, terrorists are reluctant to shoot folks in MEM, we shoot back.

Of course the world is full of criminals and poor people and the current economic situation is not helping. All I know about Brazil is what I read but they seem to have plenty of problems to include polluted ocean, a poor economy as well as thugs roaming around.

I agree Brazil generally is not ready for the Olympics. What they are doing reminds me of a Las Vegas gambler who keeps increasing his bet in order to get even. Almost never happens.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I was aware of the problems in Brazil (high unemployment, income inequality etc) but I didn't realise that robbery had become so brazen in daylight in a decent area. Thanks for posting this.

Guest tomcal

I "google-earthed" that address where the muggins were filmed it appears to be about 6-8 blocks from Meo Mundo in the centro(downtown)part of Rio.

i also feel that the Olympics will be a black eye for Rio....hope i am wrong on this!

I think the biggest issue will be the distance from Copa/Ipanema to where the Olympic Village is....and the ease of getting there...On my last trip, I visited the stadium that is all new for the Olympics and saw the brand new apartments...its at least 40 minute away from Rio by car....I went on a Saturday with no traffic and it was still a long way with everything in the area being new....the issue will be when people get out to that area, it will be hard as hell to get back to the city to party and do other things...

I think the powers that be are hoping that people will just stay out where the majority of the events are happening versus wanting to go to Rio....the South Zone...

I told my friend who lives there the comparison is like Atlanta hosting the Olympics but all the events being in Alpharetta or Macon....considered part of the metro area but because of all the increased traffic...it would not make sense to drive back and forth....

They are also working on some train/metro situations to ease the traffic...

As far as other things that were an issue, they are being addressed....

My friend was adamant in saying that Brazil...Rio has something they want to prove so they are going all out to avoid any major issues with the contestants or the tourists that come for the Olympics

• Members

The Olympics are already a success for Rio. Were it not for Olympics preparations, the unemployment rate would be easily 30% higher, with all the social disruption that comes with it. I'm sure that the games themselves will come off, at least, acceptably. The army will round up the usual suspects before the games and pack the tourist areas with soldiers. A few dumb tourists will get mugged. A few local Black teenagers will be killed by over zealous military police. But, both those things happen all the time. In short, the games will be a success for Rio.

• Members

Just imagine if they had spent all that money fixing their problems. Whether it comes off without an incident does not make it a success.

Just look at the plummeting prices of real estate. Wonder what use all the infrastructure will be to the residents who have to worry about feeding their children.

Even with the ridiculous amount of money spent the water may still be unsafe for the competitors.

But not to worry because the crooked politicians, olympic committee members etc will have padded their bank accounts and to hell with the people.

• Members

World markets are complicated but since Brazil is a net importer of oil, falling oil prices have done nothing but help them in the short term and the falling $ has been a boom to what they are paying for that oil.

I'm not making an argument that the Olympics caused the problems, just that the money they wasted on staging the Olympics could have been better spent elsewhere and the supposed boon in real estate is short lived with some short lived jobs that now have disappeared .

The strength of the $ should have helped the real estate market. After all those condos were not being sold to Brazilians.

http://www.ceicdata.com/en/blog/brazil-reap-short-term-benefits-falling-oil-prices

• Members

On my last trip, I visited the stadium that is all new for the Olympics and saw the brand new apartments...its at least 40 minute away from Rio by car....I went on a Saturday with no traffic and it was still a long way with everything in the area being new....

The Olympic Village is in the Rio neighborhood of Barra Da Tijuca, a southwestern coastal area. It is about a 30-40-minute drive from Zona Sul, but it's still in the city of Rio. That's like saying that Brooklyn or Queens are not in New York City just because they aren't in Manhattan.

I think the biggest issue will be the distance from Copa/Ipanema to where the Olympic Village is....and the ease of getting there...On my last trip, I visited the stadium that is all new for the Olympics and saw the brand new apartments...its at least 40 minute away from the south zone Rio by car (Copacabana or Ipanena)....

I went on a Saturday with no traffic and it was still a long way with everything in the area being new....the issue will be when people get out to that area, it will be hard as hell to get back to the city to party and do other things...

I think the powers that be are hoping that people will just stay out where the majority of the events are happening versus wanting to go to Rio....the South Zone...

I told my friend who lives there the comparison is like Atlanta hosting the Olympics but all the events being in Alpharetta or Macon....considered part of the metro area but because of all the increased traffic...it would not make sense to drive back and forth....

Has the Olympics spirit moved to the saunas yet?

Longest cum shooting contest?

Most dicks in one ass in 40 min or less?

Pole vaulting?

OZ, short answer is Yes! you should have been to the apartment last month there! 3 Cariocas and 1 Paulista, stayed there with me! lol

Oh wait you said in the saunas! nope not yet! :no:

• Members

I dont recall any city/country hosted the Olympics had a negative impact as a result.

Athens, Montreal , Sydney, Sochi etc just to name a few turned out to be finical disasters for their cities in the long term and the infrastructure useless to the citizens and decaying.

Of course there have also been some successes but it happens when the cities already have significant infrastructure to host the games .

Rio of course in many ways is a 3rd world city with an enormous very poor population and we'll have to wait but there is a good chance the long term results will be bad.