Adamadam

First trip to Brazil

• Members

Hey guys, 

Thanks a million for the wealth of information shared here, I'm making my first trip to Rio at the end of the month for a couple of weeks and I'm understandably quite excited ^_^

I'm planning to stay in the Ipanema area, in an airbnb, I was wondering if anyone has any general advice about airbnb in Rio or has a particular recommendation? It's quite possible I might invite someone back so a discreet set up would be great. 

My type is cute twink bottoms, is Mondo(something) the best place to meet guys like this? 

Is it worth popping over to Sao Paulo or Porto Allegre for a couple of days or do you think I should just chill and enjoy Rio for my first visit? The major determinant here would be cute twinks, N. European mix would be welcome... 

These 3 things I can probably find out elsewhere but if you feel inclined :

Any recommendations for restaurants in the area, or Rio generally?  I enjoy eating out and like high-end cuisine all the way down to great street food. 

How much are clothes there in comparison to Europe or the US? Like a pair of decent shorts for example? Hoping I can pack lightish and just buy whatever. 

Are there clubs playing techno or house there? 

Cheers for any replies, I will post some kind of report, and if anyone is in town and wants to grab a drink or dinner that would be great!  

I've been travelling quite a lot on my own when I was younger but Brazil is new and I find the whole sauna thing a little awkward, I'll get over it ;)

• Members

Airbnb should not be the first choice to people interested in bringing boys home, security is the main concern not only from the host but from the buildings as well, if you ask your host, ver likely will be denied, try to find a gay host and let him know in advance, maybe he will go for it. 

Brazil is an expensive country for almost everything, except for sex. Clothing in the US is far cheaper, bring the clothes with you. Rio has some top notch restaurants, Antiquarius and Fasano comes to mind, very expensive as well. A good idea is going on Google and tap "best restaurants in Rio", in some cases they will also give you price idea, only bring with you boyfriend material, if you are lucky to find one. Sauna boys are a total overkill.

4 hours ago, Adamadam said:

Hey guys, 

Thanks a million for the wealth of information shared here, I'm making my first trip to Rio at the end of the month for a couple of weeks and I'm understandably quite excited ^_^

I'm planning to stay in the Ipanema area, in an airbnb, I was wondering if anyone has any general advice about airbnb in Rio or has a particular recommendation? It's quite possible I might invite someone back so a discreet set up would be great. 

My type is cute twink bottoms, is Mondo(something) the best place to meet guys like this? 

Is it worth popping over to Sao Paulo or Porto Allegre for a couple of days or do you think I should just chill and enjoy Rio for my first visit? The major determinant here would be cute twinks, N. European mix would be welcome... 

Any recommendations for restaurants in the area, or Rio generally?  I enjoy eating out and like high-end cuisine all the way down to great street food. 

How much are clothes there in comparison to Europe or the US? Like a pair of decent shorts for example? Hoping I can pack lightish and just buy whatever. 

Are there clubs playing techno or house there? 

Cheers for any replies, I will post some kind of report, and if anyone is in town and wants to grab a drink or dinner that would be great!  

I've been travelling quite a lot on my own when I was younger but Brazil is new and I find the whole sauna thing a little awkward, I'll get over it ;)

As a first timer and not knowing the language, I dont recommend this....you can do everything you need to do in the saunas....

My type is cute twink bottoms, is Mondo(something) the best place to meet guys like this?  Mondo or apps or on the streets....Cute twinks are not the standard in the sauna scene in Brazil...But you would probably LOVE Thailand....Brasileiros tend to be muscular or athletic....especially the guys who work in the saunas....Mundo may be a good option for you to find your type....

If you are seeking N Europeans....go to Europe....Brazilians are a mixed race...there are some more European looking Brazilians all over but unless you speak the language OR are attractive, NOTHING WILL HAPPEN....If you are young and hot or attractive....you will have your pick of guys for free in Brazil because they tend to be very sexual and all over the apps like Grindr

Any recommendations for restaurants in the area, or Rio generally?  I enjoy eating out and like high-end cuisine all the way down to great street food.   Google restaurants in Brazil or Rio or whatever city you go to....there are TONS of options in Rio...Its a huge city....

How much are clothes there in comparison to Europe or the US? Like a pair of decent shorts for example? Hoping I can pack lightish and just buy whatever. Clothing are expensive compared to the US....But the weather is warm so you dont need winter clothing....

Are there clubs playing techno or house there? Depends on the club.....Use google...

I highly recommend you use Google and read more from the blogs...some of the questions you asked make sense as a first time person visiting Brazil but some are just plain using your best judgement or common sense....'

GOOGLE is your friend....my experience in Brazil is going to be completely different than yours or Tomcals or other members based on who they are....

my favorite restaurant in Rio is the "Bar'd Hotel restaurant" in the Marina Suites Hotel in  Leblon, just down the beach from Ipanema.  it is on the second floor with great views of the beach which in Leblon is only about 20' wide.  it is a very gay friendly local celebrity hangout(local newscasters and tv stars)  Great food and drink and expensive but worth it.  I have probably been there over 20 times!

I only use Airbnb and have for the past 7 or 8 years!  Much better for me then hotels which are more expensive and restrictive!

Meo Mundo for twinks!  you will find them at the other saunas but not in quanity!

Guest KevinC

To OP:    1. For your safety,  I do not recommend bringing someone to your place if you are first timer or not very street-smart.     2.  I am not sure how you can tell someone is a mix with north europe.   But I can tell you most garotos in saunas (in Rio) are black or brown.  

• Members
13 hours ago, Tomcal said:

my favorite restaurant in Rio is the "Bar'd Hotel restaurant" in the Marina Suites Hotel in  Leblon, just down the beach from Ipanema.  it is on the second floor with great views of the beach which in Leblon is only about 20' wide.  it is a very gay friendly local celebrity hangout(local newscasters and tv stars)  Great food and drink and expensive but worth it.  I have probably been there over 20 times!

I only use Airbnb and have for the past 7 or 8 years!  Much better for me then hotels which are more expensive and restrictive!

Meo Mundo for twinks!  you will find them at the other saunas but not in quanity!

My previous post regarding Airbnb rentals is not totally correct, in my experience I took a room in a family apartament and was told I was not supposed to bring any guests, but reading Tomcal post I realized that might not always be the case, if somebody rents an entire space, let's say a one bedroom apartment where the owner is not present, bringing guests might not be an issue and actually might be more convenient than a hotel for this purpose, in short, Airbnb might be OK, just avoid families units if you'd like sauna boys sleeping with you. 

• Members

I've one question about a first-time or infrequent visitor using Airbnb in Rio. Do the apartments usually have a built-in safe or somewhere that you can lock up your valuables (passport, laptop, cash) safely?

Different area but....I live in Bangkok for 6 months of the year. I have stayed at the same Airbnb condo for 3 years.  I have many friends here that use Airbnb. It works great for bringing people back.  But when using Airbnb, Make  sure the owners don't live in the same building.  Owners love to keep an eye on their property and and keep checking to see if your doing ok.  If their in different  building or better yet, different city, you shouldn't have any problems. 

• Members

In regard to some of your queries, I'd suggest you peruse www.gaycities.com and www.tripadvisor.com regarding restaurants and other facets in terms of "the bests."  Unfortunately at the former website, some of the information regarding Rio de janeiro is not current today. 

Go to the Leblon Shopping Center; it opened in 2011, and although I made no purchases-- I found the decor and displays to be rather unique; the center itself is well-designed and quite aesthetically pleasing!

Take in lunch or brunch at the Copa Palace.  I, myself, have not experienced, but I've had friends who loved the experience.  There's a restaurant in Santa Teresa which is wonderful; unfortunately, its name escapes me, but I went in 2011 after seeing it on Samantha's Travels from the Travel Channel.

Lastly, if you're going to Brasil for a variety of reasons-- I'd do Sao Paulo for at least 3 days.  It's Brasil's business hub, quite large, and is different from Rio.  If you want a guide for culture-- try to engage the services of Danilo, a gay guide who's in the tourist sector and who now does NOT assist in the sauna scene with tourists but might offer some advice if asked discreetly.  PM me if you desire his contact information.

For the past 6 or 7 years I rent the entire apt i dont want a shared anything(unless its a 3way!).  The apt is 2 bedrooms 2 baths and rents for a 140./nt and is directlt across the street from Metro/subway in Ipanema and 2 blocks from the gay beach! The best thing i ever did was give up staying at hotels on Rio! 

Guest KevinC
10 minutes ago, Tomcal said:

For the past 6 or 7 years I rent the entire apt i dont want a shared anything(unless its a 3way!).  The apt is 2 bedrooms 2 baths and rents for a 140./nt and is directlt across the street from Metro/subway in Ipanema and 2 blocks from the gay beach! The best thing i ever did was give up staying at hotels on Rio! 

Why 2 bedrooms?

Guest KevinC

OK.  I get it.  You need a second bedroom for the garatos who you are not sleeping with. :D:D  You are indeed a generous gentleman.  :D:D

3 minutes ago, KevinC said:

OK.  I get it.  You need a second bedroom for the garatos who you are not sleeping with. :D:D  You are indeed a generous gentleman.  :D:D

Almost correct! I need the second bedroom after we All have had sex so everyone can sleep comfortably! There are 3 of them that are always there when i am and the 4th guy is rotated depending on who is new and if we all like him! 

• Members

Thanks for the replies gents!

The airbnbs I'm considering would all be entire place, I would die of embarrassment bringing a guy back to a shared place :blush:

The supplementary questions I know I could have googled haha, and I am, I was just asking on the off chance somebody might have some info! 

I meant a mix of North Europeans and Latin or whatever. I'm aware Thailand is twink city but I'm not actually crazy on the look of Thai guys, whereas Brazilians just have so many stunners, I'm all about the face really. 

I've got a couple of pulling years left in me and I'm getting a lot of replies on grindr but then they haven't seen my little fat tummy haha. I don't mind one bit giving a guy some money though, necessary if they're way out of my league and makes things a lot smoother... Talking of which! 

Maybe a weird one: I see there's a bit of a body waxing thing going on with Brazilian guys, a lot of guys generally I guess. I'm not gonna do that but I trim my pubes, I don't shave them off completely which is a bit of a popular thing too. Is that OK or would even some pubic hair cause revulsion? I want to be a bit accommodating. 

Also do they serve alcohol in the saunas? I don't wanna get smashed but a little might help me get over the awkwardness. Not many of the guys drink I think I saw Tomcal say in another thread which is unfortunate guess it's in part a health thing? 

Trimmed or partial or not trimmed your fine, but i don't think i have seen a un-trimmed working guy in several years in Rio! Either partial or totally smoothis what all the guys are. 

Yes the saunas have full bars! When you go to 117 walk through the first bar area where the stage is there is a door on the left hand side that will take you to the covered smoking area and another barback there and where a lot of the guys hand out! Marcello is the bartender there and makes great Caprihinas!

• Members

Awesome, I'm not Grizzly Adams but I'll definitely have a tidy up haha. 

I already love mojitos and ciaprinhas or however it's spelt :smile:

I'm most probably gonna keep my shorts and tshirt on in keeping with my British conservativism, we established that's cool right? 

• Members
28 minutes ago, Tomcal said:

You can keep your clothes on or partial or in a towel!  There is one Brazilian customer at Meo Mundo who has to be 325+ and he carries his towel and walks around naked, no one notices.

Thanks, that is reassuring. I'm going to PM you a question about money if you don't mind because I've seen its a pretty contentious topic. 

Guest KevinC

Honestly, the garatos have no interested in your appearance.  They are friendly to all old or obese customers.

As Tomcal mentioned, some garatos think a customer is a fool after they take his overly generous money.  I would add that they may think you are a fool if you try to impress anyone in the sauna with your appearance.  

It's a meat market, you are paying to fulfill your physical need.  They are doing the job for the money.  Both parties complete the transaction in a superficially friendly environment.

I am just pointing out the reality here, but some people here may think I am bitter.  

• Members
18 minutes ago, KevinC said:

Honestly, the garatos have no interested in your appearance.  They are friendly to all old or obese customers.

As Tomcal mentioned, some garatos think a customer is a fool after they take his overly generous money.  I would add that they may think you are a fool if you try to impress anyone in the sauna with your appearance.  

It's a meat market, you are paying to fulfill your physical need.  They are doing the job for the money.  Both parties complete the transaction in a superficially friendly environment.

I am just pointing out the reality here, but some people here may think I am bitter.  

Sure, I understand, and I won't be trying to impress anyone trust me :P

The Atlantico hotel was mentioned in a couple of threads for its liberal attitude to guests - which one? There are several hotels with variations on the name in the Ipanema/Copacabana area.