Badboy81

Is learning the language important when visiting countries for pleasure?

I, like most of the people in the forum, travel often to Brazil and other parts of Latin America and the rest of the world...

I learned some Portuguese and Spanish for myself...for me it is good to at least understand what is going on around me and to be able to ask basic questions...

Its also important for me to be able to read signs and understand as much as possible...

I have met people who speak English everywhere that I have traveled but find that I really get to experience the culture and the people through people who sometimes don't speak English...

How important is it for you to learn the local language to wherever you are visiting?

I find it amazing to either know the language or to have someone that does with you.  I tend to go to place, pick a boy that speaks the native language and English and keep them with me for the entire trip.  It has ALWAYS enhanced my experience.  If I had the capacity to learn a language, I would.  I don't.  So, I settle for the next best thing.

• Members

You should at least make an effort to communicate in the native tongue when visiting a foreign land -- either by yourself or with a communicator / translator. You don't have to be fluent, but you should at least do a little advance preparation in basic conversational words and phrases. You will find that locals will actually even treat you a little better if you make the effort to NOT be a colonialist dickhead that expects everyone to cater to your linguistic laziness.

It is height of arrogance and entitlement to expect others in another country to speak a foreign language that is not typical or usual for that land -- and then to get outraged, saddened or disappointed that they don't speak your language.

Or, just hire the cutest boy you find who speaks both languages and then they know you are helping the local economy and treat you well as well.  Plus, I have had so many great dinners and weekends with my translators over the years and got to experience the country in a way most tourists don't.

I agree with Solace on some issues. I do think you need to try some basic phrases.  That is even hard for me but I try.  However, I also say, "so sorry" and they completely understand.  So much of communication is also about approach.  If you approach in a kind and respectful way, you go a long way. If you approach in a kind and respectful way with a hot boy on your side, it is even better. ^_^

• Members
16 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

Or, just hire the cutest boy you find who speaks both languages and then they know you are helping the local economy and treat you well as well.  Plus, I have had so many great dinners and weekends with my translators over the years and got to experience the country in a way most tourists don't.

I agree with Solace on some issues. I do think you need to try some basic phrases.  That is even hard for me but I try.  However, I also say, "so sorry" and they completely understand.  So much of communication is also about approach.  If you approach in a kind and respectful way, you go a long way. If you approach in a kind and respectful way with a hot boy on your side, it is even better. ^_^

Oz, I used to have a great travel buddy (RIP) who was pretty awful with language (come to think of it, he wasn't even that great with English, either!), but he did try a few words or phrases. But with him, he had the most winningest personality and charm, so that always disarmed everyone and people were willing to extend him a little extra help. The key with him is that he never came across presumptuous or entitled, and that he always treated everyone he met like they were kings. He really had the gift of magnetism. But most people don't even come close to him in regards to that talent. Rest assured, for every tourist or traveler like him, there are 500 who are not.

It's good that you use interpreters, and it helps that they are nice for you to look at. For those who don't, won't or can't, they need to learn some key words / phrases, and always have a pocket dictionary and translator app handy. 

15 minutes ago, paulsf said:

I spend most of my time in Bangkok . Learning Thai is much more difficult than the European Languages.  My best friend here is Vietnamese. He speaks a little English, but we use translation Aps quite a bit.  I've picked up a few basic Vietnamese words just by hanging out with his friends.  

I have a good American friend here that does speak Thai.  As SolaceSoul mentioned above, when he speaks Thai to a boy, they light up with excitement and love to sit and talk. 

I found that MANY Thais speak some English....especially those that work in the service industries...

More Thais than Brazilians speak English....even bad English from my experiences...

• Members
1 hour ago, Tomcal said:

I find starting a conversation with  "Desculpa, mas eu falo apenas um pouco de português" "Sorry but I only speak a little Portuguese"  Brings a smile to their faces and and willingness to help you!

What always works for me is:

"Meu dinheiro é grande e minha boca está molhada."

Never fails!

• Members

For those into translators; if i'm not wrong, there's an android app (not sure if it exists on Apple store....it should) called Bing Translator...it's the Microsoft alternative to Google Translator. There is a feature in this app (it needs internet connection) which splits the screen in 2 parts. On each side there's a set language and a microphone icon. When the speaker of one side talks, the translation will appear in the other side, and viceversa.

This could be useful since it will increase the speed of the dialogue. I've found Bing to be more accurate with Portuguese than Google.

• Members
20 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I find it amazing to either know the language or to have someone that does with you.  I tend to go to place, pick a boy that speaks the native language and English and keep them with me for the entire trip.  It has ALWAYS enhanced my experience.  If I had the capacity to learn a language, I would.  I don't.  So, I settle for the next best thing.

I'm with you, Oz!  My first world experience happened when I was 30 years old.  I went to the major cities of Europe and to North Africa.  ...did not know French or Spanish or Dutch or Greek.  I traveled alone, day and night and made do and communicated and had a fantastic time with some of these memories still lingering in 2017. 

Today, when I travel solo, I try to hire a guide.  ...was successful in Brasil, for I had a gay travel agent who obtained them for me; I managed to find two via www.craigslist.com.  I also had a professional gay guide in Buenos Aires and a guide in Lilma who had an ad.  This has helped me to encounter positive experiences.

When I am not traveling solo but with a tour group, I am fine even when I am on my own.  [...been to Thailand on four occasions; ...had no problems and only memorable experiences beyond the sexual component.]

Yes, it's nice to know some key words, but if one is not able to remember easily- then....

21 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

Badboy, I also found WAY more Thais speak some form of English than Brazilians.  This is true in over 30 trips to both countries and has never changed.

We all know you have traveled to both countries numerous times...hilarious you added that last "30 trips to both countries and that has never changed"SMILE

The older and wiser I become, the more I realize that other people...places or things don't really change...yes things get older and people grow older but the main thing that changes is how I view things and places and people that I am in consistent contact with...

Congrats on your other 30 trips...I am looking forward to retirement in the future so that I can travel even more than now....

• Members
10 minutes ago, Badboy81 said:

I am sure that definitely works...that would work with many guys in the states, said in English...Not all but many....

Oh, I've got other things I can say, since "eu sou versátil!"  Like a certain braindead moron with a bad orange spray tan and hair weave recently said, "I know words. I have the best words."

• Members
On 11/04/2017 at 11:18 AM, likeohmygod said:

For those into translators; if i'm not wrong, there's an android app (not sure if it exists on Apple store....it should) called Bing Translator...it's the Microsoft alternative to Google Translator. There is a feature in this app (it needs internet connection) which splits the screen in 2 parts. On each side there's a set language and a microphone icon. When the speaker of one side talks, the translation will appear in the other side, and viceversa.

This could be useful since it will increase the speed of the dialogue. I've found Bing to be more accurate with Portuguese than Google.

I've been using Google translate, did you know there is an option to change the dialect to Brazilian Portuguese ? I found it by accident and it helps a lot. 

There is also an option to let the translator overlay on top of other apps, so if you hold to copy text the translator icon will appear at the top of the screen and if you tap that it auto-translates it, it's awesome! Absolute godsend for grindr 

Guest bobbalino

Yes, about the Brazilian ... it is in the Speech Input, in case some of you cannot find it.

Thanks for letting us know, Adam. I had it set to Brazilian Portuguese, but was not aware until now.

• Members

You can also try Audio CD lessond to learn basic Brazilian Portuguese which I did. I bought Pimsleur CD Lesson for $99 (used) containing lessons in 30 CD's , 30 minutes each lesson. Not bad and definitely you will learn a lot and it helps. There are 3 Parts of the course,  Anyone coming to Brazil end of May (memorial weekend) thru June ?

• Members
On 4/10/2017 at 6:53 PM, SolaceSoul said:

You should at least make an effort to communicate in the native tongue when visiting a foreign land -- either by yourself or with a communicator / translator. You don't have to be fluent, but you should at least do a little advance preparation in basic conversational words and phrases. You will find that locals will actually even treat you a little better if you make the effort to NOT be a colonialist dickhead that expects everyone to cater to your linguistic laziness.

It is height of arrogance and entitlement to expect others in another country to speak a foreign language that is not typical or usual for that land -- and then to get outraged, saddened or disappointed that they don't speak your language.

I studied in Spain many years ago, and my Spanish was quite fluent, or so I thought.  Then I realized that Spaniards have one way of speaking with foreigners and a very different way of speaking with other Spaniards.  After many years away from Spain, my Spanish had gotten quite rusty until I discovered you can watch Spanish TV shows over the Internet, So that's my new hobby, Spanish television.  I no longer watch any English-language TV, except the occasional sports broadcast.  My oral comprehension has improved by leaps and bounds.  In fact, it's quite a bit better than it was even at the end of my studies in Spain.  My speaking ability, which had atrophied to almost nothing, is back to being pretty good.  Despite the remarkable progress I've made in the last three years, it seems the more Spanish I learn, the more I realize that there is so much more left for me to learn.

That said, because (re)learning Spanish takes up so much focus and mental energy, I can't be bothered learning another language.  I used DuoLingo for a while to recover my old high school French but found that for every bit of French I learned, I forgot that same amount of Spanish.  I guess there's only room in my head for one second language.  And since, like I said, I have soooooooo much left to learn of Spanish, I won't be studying any other languages in the future.  Plus, I find that aside from Spanish & French, my ability to pronounce other languages is really horrible.  

I do, however, plan to make a trip to Brazil one of  these days.  Rio seems beautiful and mild (warm but not hot) during the infernal summer we have in the desert Southwest, plus there is the not insubstantial allure of the sauna boys.  I plan on learning the most basic of Portuguese (hello, goodbye, please, thank you, sorry, and a few other words max), relying on Bing Translate, and then hoping & praying that my English & Spanish will get me by.

I am not linguistically lazy.  I spend at least 10 hours a week watching  Spanish TV or reading Spanish.  It's quite a serious hobby.  Since I visit Spain every year, Spanish will be my sole focus.  I'm pretty sure that when I do go to Brazil, my half-dozen-word vocabulary, Bing Translate (or whatever device), a friendly smile, and a respectful attitude will be enough to avoid being considered a "colonialist dickhead."  Maybe you'll still consider me a colonialist dickhead, however, because frankly it sounds like you enjoy sneering at Americans.

Guest bobbalino

DR ... SolaceSoul, you would realize if you had followed the thread or perhaps had been more familiar with other threads (understandably as a newbie you would have less context), was centering out another poster who was leaning towards a more obnoxious stance. I think we are all fine with your personal take on this. You can have a lot of fun in Brazil without one iota of Portuguese proficiency, as long as you can roll with the obvious communication limits that would ensue. 

• Members
On 6/15/2017 at 11:04 PM, DelRetiro said:

Maybe you'll still consider me a colonialist dickhead, however, because frankly it sounds like you enjoy sneering at Americans.

Considering that I am American myself, and biracial with a family tree that resulted forcibly from colonial dickheads, I think I've more than earned the right to call out colonial dickheadism when I see it. 

If you don't want to be called a dickhead, then the simple solution is just don't do dickheadish things. If the term does not apply to you, then it would not matter. But a hit dog will holler.