pylonguy71

Brazil Flight Tips

• Members

I'm looking to book flights to Brazil (from Los Angeles) for early next year. Had a look over skyscanner and kayak and saw that most direct flights are over $1000USD round trip. Just wanted to check in and ask if this is the norm at the moment? I've seen some amazing specials on this forum in the last year or two. But doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. Any tips would be most appreciated. Also, would you recommend flying into and out of SP or Rio? I figured SP is the easiest entry point...

• Members

Check brokers to see if they do economy along with business and first class.  Do a google check: cheap/inexpensive coach fares to Rio de janeiro or to wherever you're traveling in that country.  Because Rio is a long distance from where I am, California, I have to fly business class.  A few weeks back- I noted the fare to be under $1000.  Remember you'll be flying during the high season since it'll be summer there.

• Members

I appreciate these tips. When I was trying to purchase a ticket about 6 months in advance last April, the tickets were around $1400 roundtrip. I went to Google Flights and set a tracker on the flights I wanted. For several months, the price was very steady. Then, suddenly one day, it dropped to $700 RT. I purchased my tickets, and it was back to $1400 plus the next day. Out of curiosity, I left the tracker, and it never fell again. Those trackers can really help you. On my first trip the year before, I learned that roundtrip is not always the best option. It often pays to seek out two one-way tickets.

• Members

If you have frequent flyer accounts, South America is very easy and cheap to get with miles, especially from CA. I think 60,000 miles roundtrip peak is normal for economy and you can usually get 50K or 60K opening a credit card. There's little or no fees to SA. And many credit cards waive the $95 fee first year.  

• Members

"I'm looking to book flights to Brazil (from Los Angeles) for early next year." 

You might not know that American Airlines is the only carrier that has non stop flights to Sao Paulo from Los Angeles. 

A non stop flight removes the concern of possibly missing a connecting flight.  It also removes several hours from a trip. 

American Airlines is not always the cheapest way to go but, as I wrote, it is quicker and less stressful than when a connection is involved. 

Occasionally, you will find a bargain fare to Brazil on their website.   I once got a business class fare for around $1,300.00.  However, I do not expect to see that low business fare at any time in the near future, but it could happen.

Another thing with the American Airlines non stop flight is on departure day.  If you have a regular coach ticket and if there are empty seats in business class (just before boarding time), American Airlines will let you "buy up" for around $500 - $600 dollars in addition to what you already paid for your original ticket.  The agent will tell you the amount if and when there are unsold business class seats.  

On the other hand, if you do not mind a connecting flight, you can look at the constantly fluctuating fares of LATAM.

• Members

Here's a free ticket rt on American. Their credit card with no annual fee 1st year. 60K miles after spending $3000 on it. 

https://citicards.citi.com/usc/LPACA/AA/AAdvantage/Platinum/PS_LTO/index.html?BTData=O07.B.gAB4f.J.Bsh.SBeZ.ayw.kMf.vlV.Bj.Q3.yO.E&m=X4K8111111W&B=null&cmp=KNC~01~110901~CRDACQXX~Google&ProspectID=DD9B013A6E0F4C2AB6BE901C194831B7

United has similar card offers but it's a transfer in Houston. I got stuck there on a 24 hour delay once--not a pleasant place. 

American Express has similar card offers and their points transfer to many airlines including British which can be used on LaTam or American. 

There are so many credit card offers with enough miles for a rt to Brazil and seats are fairly easy to get. 

• Members

Anyone with mileage programs on their mind should avoid Latam at all costs, this past summer they were demanding 150.000 miles for a NY/ Rio round trip, or about double of what other airlines were demanding at the time.  I don't know how it is right now, but I've checked at other times and was always the highest by far. If luggage is an issue, American allows more free pounds than all others.

• Members

asdsrfr, thanks for your tip on brazilianexpress - found some great round trip options there for Jan. Good flights with either Lan or Copa for $800 round tirp in mid January. Given that they're both the same price, which of these airlines do you guys prefer? While I would prefer the convenience of a direct flight, the connections are fine with both options and I'm happy to put the savings toward a nice airbnb (looking in the Ipanema/Leblon area). I stayed in a private apartment on my last visit and that worked perfectly. That was in the pre-airbnb era, so it's going to be so much simpler not having to deal with a rental agency.

2 hours ago, pylonguy71 said:

. Good flights with either Lan or Copa for $800 round tirp in mid January. Given that they're both the same price, which of these airlines do you guys prefer?

I like Copa (have status with them so always upgraded)...except their flight times arriving/leaving Brasil are usually in the 2-6am range.

Lan is part of ONEWORLD and Copa is Star Alliance...if you don't have either, you can join Copa's own program for future Copa trips, their upgrades are easy, generally.

• Members
On 12/9/2017 at 10:47 PM, mvan1 said:

Another thing with the American Airlines non stop flight is on departure day.  If you have a regular coach ticket and if there are empty seats in business class (just before boarding time), American Airlines will let you "buy up" for around $500 - $600 dollars in addition to what you already paid for your original ticket.  The agent will tell you the amount if and when there are unsold.

I am curious if this is each way or round trip upgrade price.  Many airlines now offer last minutes bidding for upgrades, with a set minimum starting price.   This usually starts a few days before your departure time. 

And to OP...Yes I think the airfares to Brazil are higher now compared to a couple years ago.  In 2015 I have two round trips in coach, both were around $620 each, although they were not in peak season.  One in early December, the other in late January.  Price have since climbed up steadily, to $850, $900, and now I usually pay $1100 for economy.  And yes, Brazilianexpress.com usually have good price.  And if you belong to an airlines mileage program, these long haul flights can easily get you some elite status after a couple trips, and you will have free access to economy plus seats, and even upgrades.

i will add my 2 cents,  i was exec plat. on American for the last 20 years so i always booked on them and there was a convient connection thru DFW, so i got upgraded and up until this last year the fares varied from a low of $450. to $900. R/t. to GRU for the last 4 months or so they have been hovering around )1800. for coach!  

since i am 6’4” and need the leg room, i.book a emergency exit row for the leg room in case i don’t get upgraded! i  book the flight several months in advance but put the ticket on a 24 hr hold! if the price stays the same or goes down, i cancel it and rebook it immediately on a nother 24 hr hold! and keep doing that until about 2 weeks before departure.

• Members
On 12/11/2017 at 12:55 PM, Tomcal said:

i will add my 2 cents,  i was exec plat. on American for the last 20 years so i always booked on them and there was a convient connection thru DFW, so i got upgraded and up until this last year the fares varied from a low of $450. to $900. R/t. to GRU for the last 4 months or so they have been hovering around )1800. for coach!  

since i am 6’4” and need the leg room, i.book a emergency exit row for the leg room in case i don’t get upgraded! i  book the flight several months in advance but put the ticket on a 24 hr hold! if the price stays the same or goes down, i cancel it and rebook it immediately on a nother 24 hr hold! and keep doing that until about 2 weeks before departure.

Which months are the slow travel season for good airfare deals based on your experience? Flying out of DFW seems always double that from Miami. Thanks

On 12/18/2017 at 10:49 PM, Peter803 said:

Which months are the slow travel season for good airfare deals based on your experience? Flying out of DFW seems always double that from Miami. Thanks

The low season for Rio will always be the winter there...which is summer here in the US....the weather is unpredictable...it can definitely get cold and the are no people on the beaches...