BiBottomBoy

What's Everyone Up To For The Holidays?

This afternoon's order of business (this very rugged old-style 19th- or maybe even 18th-century recipe after being baked needs to age a couple weeks for the flavors to fully develop and come through)...

English Pound Cake

• 3 sticks butter
  • 2-1/2 cups sugar
  • 6 beaten eggs
  • 1 tsp grated orange rind
  • 1 tsp grated lemon rind
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 4 cups plain flour
  • 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 10 ounces currants
  • 1-1/2 tsp mace
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Batter will be very stiff. :o^_^

Pour/spoon batter into large tube pan greased with Crisco and lined with greased parchment paper. Bake at 325 degrees 1 hr 30 min (may take closer to 1 hr 45 min depending on your oven) until tester comes out clean.

Let age 1-2 weeks for flavor of citrus rind/zest and mace to merge & come out.

So to speak. B)

• Members

I'm flying out of San Diego (where I work) and going to my Utah home for Christmas with the family. Leaving Utah on the 28th for my other home in Portland. Then on New Years Eve I returning to San Diego for work.

Not looking forward to the snow and cold in Utah. It was terrible last year and we had to snow blow twice on Christmas day just to get out of the driveway. The snow blow pile up was over 5 feet high.

• Members

Over the period of a weekend my lymph glands swelled up and I became extremely septic.  Went to ER and surgery preformed the next day to clean out area.  Then 3 weeks of heavy duty IV antibiotics and a wound vacuum.  Home now with a portable Vac and three trips a week to wound care for dressing change.  It was rough just to sit in a room for 3 weeks and I also didn't know how serious it was till I had been in for a week.  Puts a whole different view on Home for the Holidays.  Very very thankful here.

• Members

Should be fine but it will just take time.  MRSA is a very difficult infection to get rid of and has a habit of coming back, however we are watching things very closely.  Just so thankful to be home and one of my best friends, my regular guy when I lived in NC, has come over to help and celebrate Christmas for a few days.  Getting the hang of having tubes and IV lines hanging out of me and maneuvering around the house and doing normal chores.  Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.