AdamSmith

'Trump and the GOP are making the Republican brand toxic for a generation'

• Members

I read this same piece.  Amazing how two people can come to different conclusions from the same words.  ^_^

The Democrats used to suffer from the "white right" point of view and they survived.  I am willing to suppose the Republicans can do the same.  

As you know, I am an independent and not happy with any party and not very happy with any pol.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I'd say Trump, the GOP, the Democratic party, and Hillary are making political parties toxic for a generation. 

George Washington's farewell address warned against political parties and that they would destroy democracy and the nation. It took 200 years but here we are.

It's going to be a lot harder escaping this political party trap than it was sliding into it. But authoritarianism isn't the answer.

2 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

Pay attention the the new American grassroots movement. Women, ethnic minorities, plus now teen agers. This is a very interesting moment. 

Women will play a big part in the next election. IMHO  I hope the teens get together and organize as well.  I'd love to see some minority organizing.  If those three things happen, the end of the R party. But, as always, it will try to shift to meet the demand. Not now. But, not far into the future.  IMHO

• Members

On Point had three 17 yo candidates on this morning, all running for Kansas posts. I realize that NPR devotees like me are a self-sorted cohort, but the call-in folks were very excited. I’m getting to the point that I won’t vote for any Baby Boomers. I’m reading A Generation of Sociopaths by Bruce Cannon Gibney. Eye-opening.

• Members

I can't ever remember a time when Americans were so at each other's throats in both directions (possibly '68) No one on either cares about facts or truth, just what rationalizations fits the hate they feel. The poor whites detest the educated middle class who they see as favoring blacks and foreigners over struggling whites. The bourgeious detest the white rabble they see as being uncouth and not knowing their place. Our gay libertarian  Peter Thiel says it may be time to abandon democracy before the peasant rabble take over. A lot of things may come out of this but more democracy may not be one of them. If anything both sides seem to favor authoritarianism over democracy if it means their side will win but lose in a democratic process. 

Its easy to think of fascism resulting from class warfare as a trick on the masses by the rich. But fascism is usually sought after strongly when  people are distressed. They are sick of freedom, especially other people's to oppose them. Today there were two of the best columns on how fascism comes I've ever read. 

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/02/20/trump-putin-and-nikolas-cruz-walk-into-a-bar/

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/how-we-fight-fascism/

• Members

@tassojunior enjoyed the links, although we’ll probably end up either in a state of chronic breakdown, likely civil conflict and ultimately some sort of authoritarian state. A “soft” totalitarianism perhaps. I hope the center can hold, but in many ways I feel like we’re seeing the last days of the Weimar Republic. When the majority, for disparate reasons, loses faith in the liberal state, all hell can break out.

13 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

"Electoral power" is in who you allow to vote. 

...meaning?

We have pretty universal enfranchisement here today, to my understanding.

What am I missing?

There are to be sure big problems with racially biased districting, but even that the courts are -- slowly -- starting to sort out.

• Members

Especially in red and purple states, to vote you usually have to take off work and go down to the courthouse months before an election with an original birth certificate. Then on election day you have to take off work again, stand in line often for hours, and hope you're listed correctly. "Voter Fraud" cries are going to make it worse.  Some places drop your registration if you don't vote for a couple elections.

This means most voters are conservative retired people.

Even Peter Thiel, our gay Trumper, has said it may be time to think about abandoning democracy.  

4 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

Especially in red and purple states, to vote you usually have to take off work and go down to the courthouse months before an election with an original birth certificate. Then on election day you have to take off work again, stand in line often for hours, and hope you're listed correctly. "Voter Fraud" cries are going to make it worse.  Some places drop your registration if you don't vote for a couple elections.

This means most voters are conservative retired people.

Even Peter Thiel, our gay Trumper, has said it may be time to think about abandoning democracy.  

What drugs are you on?

8 hours ago, tassojunior said:

Sorry if you've never heard of "voter suppression". A little education on that, and manners, would do you a lot of good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_suppression_in_the_United_States

I do, really, apologize for my rudeness of manner. That was uncalled for.

But the documentary evidence presented in that article seems somewhat weak, as I read it through.

5 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

I do, really, apologize for my rudeness of manner. That was uncalled for.

But the documentary evidence presented in that article seems somewhat weak, as I read it through.

I get that there is a pretty fair effort to suppress the vote of various parties.

I just don't, in the current age, see it working all that well.