mvan1

American Airlines to reduce the number of flights to and from Brazil

• Members

Those who are frequent fliers realize that American Airlines is a major player in bringing passengers and freight to and from Brazil. 

Even though flights to and from Brazil are full, American has made the decision to cut back on the number of flights to and from Brazil beginning this year.  

Sometimes managers of companies make decisions that make no sense to anyone except to the person who made the decision. 

The reduction in flights will mean crowded flights and less flexibility for seating and scheduling.  Those who belong to American's loyalty program will also suffer because of fewer upgrades available.    

It is almost as though American is encouraging passengers to use their competitors for travel to and from Brazil.  

American is blaming the cut backs on the Brazilian economy.  This is nonsense.  Even if Brazilians don't fly, the aircrafts are full and FREIGHT is a major money maker for American Airlines.  

Here is an article that discusses the cutbacks in flights:

https://www.thebrasilians.com/2018/04/10/american-airlines-cancels-flights-to-brazil/

• Members

Since America West bought USAir and American they have been scaling back AA a lot. Doug Parker, the CEO, clearly does not know anything but downsizing. Almost everytime they are faced with increased competition in a market they withdraw. They have just withdrawn from JFK ! Their new international hub, at least for Europe, is Philadelphia ! But a lot of their international business is in CharlotteNorth Carolina

If you think of AA as really USAir now with a bunch of AA it is closing down, it makes sense. 

• Members

United did the same thing several years ago with flights between AKL (Auckland, NZ) and LAX.  They were the only carrier with daily service and it was via 747-400.  It was always full of people and cargo.  They decided the ETOPS (long over water version) 777 was the way to go.  Smaller airplane and the FAA required them to actually carry more fuel in reserve than the 747 (at first). Eventually the 777 started to save a few gallons of fuel on this route but was always a smaller aircraft with fewer seats and less cargo capacity.  As you say, how silly management can be at times.  :(

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
3 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

Since America West bought USAir and American they have been scaling back AA a lot. Doug Parker, the CEO, clearly does not know anything but downsizing. Almost everytime they are faced with increased competition in a market they withdraw. They have just withdrawn from JFK ! Their new international hub, at least for Europe, is Philadelphia ! But a lot of their international business is in CharlotteNorth Carolina

If you think of AA as really USAir now with a bunch of AA it is closing down, it makes sense. 

Where is Robert Crandall when you need him?  His forte was to pick a competitors route and flood it with seats and cheap fares until the competitor shouted, "uncle".  He was all about "upsizing".

Best regards,

RA1

i have 3.5 million miles on AA which meant i was Platinum for life! Starting this year it is good for absolutely nothing!! but united isn’t much better. i started flying them 1-1/2 years ago when i bought the house in Mexico and have accumulated over 100,000 miles which is good for 1/2 a business class ticket! so now i go with the cheapest because loyalty means nothing to them except they can screw more because you will stick with them in anticipation of mike awards

Guest jimboivyo

lots of carriers still flying to gig. no matter how many miles ya got in the tank, the airlines don't care what you did for them years ago

• Members
6 hours ago, Tomcal said:

i have 3.5 million miles on AA which meant i was Platinum for life! Starting this year it is good for absolutely nothing!! but united isn’t much better. i started flying them 1-1/2 years ago when i bought the house in Mexico and have accumulated over 100,000 miles which is good for 1/2 a business class ticket! so now i go with the cheapest because loyalty means nothing to them except they can screw more because you will stick with them in anticipation of mike awards

I have 1mil on each and AA is tough. But I love UA. Free stopovers and a trick to avoid the $150 21-day close-in fee.

UA miles for Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian out of Dulles, oh my.

• Members
11 hours ago, tassojunior said:

As many people know, for many years, American Airlines was voted by travelers as having the best frequent flier program of any U.S. carrier.  

After the merger and after the change of management together with the overall devaluation of its loyalty program, American Airlines is now the worst of the three major U.S. air carriers.   That is also confirmed by travelers.  

That is quite a legacy for the AA new management.  They must be very proud of themselves for going from first to worst - 

• Members
3 minutes ago, mvan1 said:

As many people know, for many years, American Airlines was voted by travelers as having the best frequent flier program of any U.S. carrier.  

After the merger and after the change of management together with the overall devaluation of its loyalty program, American Airlines is now the worst of the three major U.S. air carriers.   That is also confirmed by travelers.  

That is quite a legacy for the AA new management.  They must be very proud of themselves for going from first to worst - 

Well, Delta Sky Pesos aren't worth much.

• Members
1 minute ago, tassojunior said:

Well, Delta Sky Pesos aren't worth much.

Face it, there are more people flying - the airlines can get away with just about anything because the economy is able to withstand all the bag fees, close in fees and all the other nonsensical fees charged that were formerly included in a ticket price.    

• Members
1 minute ago, Gotti said:

I've heard some airline is charging or is about to start charging for the overhead bin. The day will come when before boarding you step on a scale and gets charged accordingly.

Several airlines charge for carry-ons. Spirit and Frontier and all the airlines' "Basic Economy" fares. On all airlines you get a free "personal item" though.....a bag the size of a large backpack that will go under the seat in front of you. I make do with those ok.

• Members

Many years ago I went around the world with two bags either of which would fit under a seat, the other in the overhead bin.  One had charts and other aviation stuff I needed.  The other clothes, etc.  I was gone for 15 days.  Washed my clothes once.  Now I need about 60 pounds of stuff just to go to the grocery store.  :)

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Yet an article in the Wall Street Journal today lauds AA for significantly increasing availability of mileage awards. Most of our trips to Brazil have been possible because of mileage awards. We used to get a RT from California to Rio for 40,000 miles. They've upped that to 60,000 miles, but it is widely available. Now if they cut flights...

But wait a minute. Didn't we recently read about how the saunas were dinosaurs as the guys take to Grindr and other services? There always seems t be an article indicating that the dream may die...but it doesn't.

• Members
On 5/16/2018 at 2:46 AM, Gotti said:

I've heard some airline is charging or is about to start charging for the overhead bin. The day will come when before boarding you step on a scale and gets charged accordingly.

I wish airlines charge the airfares and all fees based on the the total weight of individual passengers weight and their luggage.

• Members
14 minutes ago, Walker said:

I wish airlines charge the airfares and all fees based on the the total weight of individual passengers weight and their luggage.

Translation: Walker is a thin guy who travels lightly! Good for you, but I don't think you will see this happen.

• Members

If you cannot fit into one seat, the airlines will charge you more (for two seats).  Sometimes I think this is worth it to avoid having a smelly or other wise offensive person sitting next to me.  However, I can foresee hassles unless you readily take up two seats (which you paid for) and refuse to move.  And, can you really get away from disagreeable odors, foul air, etc. in a closed up aluminum can when management has instructed to turn off packs unless absolutely necessary>  Packs means how often and how fresh the circulated air is.  

Airlines in their stinking wisdom have done more for charter and corporate flights than one can easily imagine.  Unfortunately these are still very pricey.  :(

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
On 5/16/2018 at 12:46 AM, Gotti said:

Multiple airlines have started doing this. They call it "basic economy" or somesuch. It is not their regular price, but their bargain basement price. You have to be careful now when purchasing tickets to make sure you don't inadvertently purchase one of those seats, thinking you are buying a regular seat. It's their way of competing with Spirit Airlines. 1298311886_basiceconomy.png.104b51dfd5b7fb7bda80865c61305c78.png

• Members

To American Airlines now miles travelled don't mean anything anymore. After receiving an email stating that I had 5000 miles in my acountI called the company to let them know it was a mistake since I travelled recently twice on a round trip NY-Rio which would be close to 20.000 miles, and they told me it was no longer the case. What matters now is the dollar amount spent on the ticket, I don't remember exactly how the equation goes, but I remember calculating how many trips I would need to get a free round trip, paying $750/800,00 a pop. What in the past was 4 round trips to get one, now is something like 20! Why bother?