Lucky

Gay Novel Is Pulitzer Winner

• Members

The novel Less, by handsome Andrew Sean Greer, is a humorous tale of a writer who travels the world in order to avoid having to go to his ex-boyfriend's wedding. I finished it last week and enjoyed it all the way. Author Greer is the subject of a profile in today's Washington Post, where he lists the novels that he liked most when coming out:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/andrew-sean-greer-5-books-that-were-important-to-me-when-i-was-coming-out/2018/06/18/37db1df4-6d92-11e8-bd50-b80389a4e569_story.html?utm_term=.13885c19d46e

ROBSCKTNTYI6RPKQXABYTJHFNE.jpg

The Author

• Members

I cheat-read skimmed it last year at my local bookstore, according to my buy-one-read-one-free senior consumer playbook. I found it to be a rather fun though fluffy confection, similar genre as Under the Tuscan Sun, Eat Pray Love, Nanny Diaries, etc, but the prize committee must have thought it was meritorious.

Shows how much I know about fiction. I do not think I was the only surprised one. Up there with Faulkner, Updike, Wharton, Cather, Wilder, Buck, Steinbeck, Michener, Hemingway, Agee, Harper Lee, Bellow, Roth, Walker, Shields, Eugenides, and gay Michael Cunningham? Really?! 

I will have to give his previous novels a look, as surely there must be some consistency of excellence to warrant this prestigious prize.

• Members

This comedic book Less was very positively reviewed in the NY Times. The critic pulled out a few quotes to exemplify the range of big laughs. One of these is related to the protaganist's (a 50 yr old gay author) trademark blue suit, tailored in "humid, moped-plagued" Ho Chi Minh City. 

A romantic comedy was long overdue for the Pulitzer. Good for Greer.