TotallyOz

Jockstrap commerical causing an uproar

• Members
8 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

Gain's new commercial is causing a lot of distress. Your thoughts?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dt3G/gain-flings-the-sweet-smell-of-defeat

Another silly societal kurfuffel by people who have nothing else to do.    We see bras on TV all the time.... So fucking what?  

• Members

I thought it was cute...I read some of the comments. The obvious use of "Martinez" as a last name, but I think it's political correctness run amuck.

My two cents.

• Members

I can't get the link to play, but when I saw  it on TV a few days ago, I thought it was a bit odd for American TV.

I just took it as directed toward Latin Americans and assumed the Gains people knew their audience better than I did.

• Members

It would have been fun to be a fly on the wall in the creative meetings when this strange idea was pitched. Who pitched it, a man or a woman? The commercial cost a lot of money to produce and air, and I'm not convinced it helped anyone remember the name of the detergent. Not in any meaningful I-must-go-out-and-buy-this-now way.

IMO, the concept is really out there. I mean, males sniffing a jockstrap? Really out there, and very gay suggestive, no matter the "family" scene.

Not sure what to say about the Latino market focus. I don't know any straight Latinos who wear jockstraps when they perform sports. In fact, I don't know any men who wear jockstraps at my multi-cultural gym. Can't remember the last time I saw a guy wearing one, and I see a lot of guys' underwear choices when I work out.

Even weirder, the jockstrap-on-a-stick looks oddly new (un-worn) and starched-stiff. Why wouldn't it smell like fresh soap in that condition? Perhaps if there were piss and groin sweat stains, the message of "fresh, clean smell" would have been more to the point. But that would have thrown controversial way over the edge. I have to assume this detail was discussed.

In the end, for me, it was just weird and awkward. Not exactly where I would have put my money.