mvan1

Any similarities with a certain lunatic who leads the U.S.? Answer - Yes!

• Members

The Brazilians had an election today.  It is now past midnight in Brazil.  More than 94% of the votes have been counted.  This bigoted "candidate" received almost 47 % of the counted votes.  His closest rival received only 28% -  therefore, there is a high probability that this bigot will be Brazil's next president come the run-off election on October 28th.  

If he is elected, we who visit Brazil may soon find many negative changes.   

Considering his open hatred of gays, I am wondering if it will be safe to continue visiting Brazil in the future if this hateful bigot wins the presidency.     

Check out this interview with the bigot and listen to the below link regarding his thoughts about gays (in the below linked interview, he says - Brazilians do not like homosexuals):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3ZBeX9uC8s

Also - cited for "hate" speech in Brazil (blacks, gays, women and indigenous - targeted)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/world/americas/brazil-president-candidate-hate.html

And, he does not like foreigners (tourists?)

Here is a screen shot of his CV - 

Who is Jair Bolsonaro?

Hide

140.jpg
Biography

Born in Glicéro in São Paulo in 1955 to parents of Italian descent, he served in the army from 1971 until 1988, when he was elected as a city councillor in Rio de Janeiro for the Christian Democratic party. In 1990, he became a federal congressman for the same party. He has since been affiliated with a number of political parties. On 22 July, he was officially nominated as the presidential candidate of the Social Liberal party.

Policies

Bolsonaro espouses populist and nationalist views that often stray into far-right territory.  A vocal opponent of same-sex marriage, abortion, immigration and other progressive causes, he has defended the death penalty and the 1964-85 military dictatorship. On foreign policy, he has said he wants to improve relations with the US. Economically he says he is pro free market and privatisation. 

Political style

Deliberately provocative and polarising. He has praised Gen Pinochet, expressed support for torturers and called for political opponents to be shot, earning him the label of "the most misogynistic, hateful elected official in the democratic world”.  In his bid to capitalise on Latin America’s lurch to the right, he paints himself as a tropical Donald Trump: a pro-gun, anti-establishment crusader set on "draining the swamp" and cracking down on violent crime.

Controversies

On top of repeated calls for a return to dictatorship, he has made equally inflammatory attacks on womenblack peoplegay people, foreigners and indigenous communities. Earlier this year, he was charged by the attorney general with inciting hate speech. 

Support and election prospects

Bolsonaro has a devout following among some conservative voters, who admire his promises to get tough on rampant violent crime, and he is likely to progress to the second round of the vote. 

Photograph: Evaristo Sa/AFP

• Members

Thanks for your post.  I heard some brief news about the Brazilian election on some major US networks earlier today.  ...nothing as detailed as you shared.  ...seems like repression is in the air in far too many places of our world, including our own country in some respects.

• Members
16 minutes ago, Walker said:

Is he the guy who got stabbed a month ago?  I thought he withdrew.

He is the guy.  He healed and came back even meaner than he was before the stabbing - - Blaming "criminals" for the stabbing attack.  

It is looking more and more that he will be Brazil's next top bigot, I mean, president.  

• Members
12 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

“Bolsonaro is strongly anti-abortion and once told a female colleague in the legislature she was “not worthy” of being raped by him, according to Vox.

You got that right.  Here is a photo from the Brazilian television news of yesterday with protests against that hateful freak.  The photo might be old because it is used even in U.S. news papers.   

London, UK. 29th Sept, 2018. A demonstration organized by Brazilian women living in the UK against Jair Bolsonaro. He is running for president in the upcoming Brazilian elections although he stands out for his misogynist, racist, LGBTQ phobic and fascist positions. Penelope Barritt/Alamy Live News - Stock Image

• Members

Time magazine, a respected source of news and information, wrote the following about Bolsonaro:

"Like Trump, he has pledged to withdraw his country from the Paris Agreement on climate change. He plans to loosen gun control laws and give already trigger-happy police further impunity to kill."

"There Is a Risk to Democracy.' Brazil Wakes Up to the Reality of a Bolsonaro Presidency"

The entire article can be read here:

http://time.com/5418582/brazil-bolsonaro-election-first-round/

• Members

The Advocate has called Bolsonaro "Brazil's biggest homophobe".[100]

• In a June 2011, interview with Playboy, Bolsonaro said that "I would be incapable of loving a gay son," and added that he would prefer any son of his "to die in an accident..."[101] In the same interview, Bolsonaro went on to say that if a gay couple moved in next door to him, it would lower the market value of his house. 

In an 2011 interview with Jornal de Notícias, Bolsonaro linked homosexuality to pedophilia, claiming that "many of the children who are adopted by gay couples will be abused by these couples." He further argued that Brazil does not need legislation specifically targeting homophobia, because "most homosexuals are murdered by their respective pimps at hours when good citizens are already asleep."[103] In a May 2002 interview with the Folha de S.Paulo, Bolsonaro told the newspaper, "If I see two men kissing in the street, I will beat them." He then publicly defended beating gay children by saying: "If your child starts to become like that, a little gay, you take a whip and you change their behavior."[104]

On November 9, 2017, the Court of Justice for the State of Rio de Janeiro sentenced Bolsonaro to pay a fine of $150,000 reais for hate speech because of televised comments he made in 2011 to the CQC TV program, when Bolsonaro stated that "there is no risk" of his family producing a homosexual child because his children had a "good education". Judge Luciana Teixeira said that the deputy had abused his right of free expression to commit a wrongful act. "You can not deliberately attack and humiliate, ignoring the principles of equality, just because you invoke freedom of expression," said the judge.[105]

Birth control for the poor

Bolsonaro provoked considerable controversy for public remarks made in July 2008, when he appeared to advocate the sterilization of poor people, who he suggested might be too uneducated to understand family planning education: "It is no good talking about education because most of these people are not prepared to receive education and will not educate themselves. Only birth control can save us from chaos," he said.[106][107][108]

If this madman becomes the president of Brazil, Brazil as we from this forum know it, will become a mere memory of some wonderful bygone times.  

what is interesting is that the sauna guys i know and am friends with on FB or Instagram, over a 100, Are voting for him!! For most of them it seems the main issue is crime which they experience so much more first hand, and while they work in saunas they are more religious then i thought! This guy plays up the religious angle and promises criminals will be taken care of...hmm sound familiar?  :-(

• Members

Bolsonoro, like Trump, is largely a race thing. In the population of 200 million, whites and mixed-race (pardos) are about equal % while blacks have sunk to well under 10% now. In the US mixed-race usually is identified as "colored" while in Brazil many of them self-identify as "white". The "whitening of the population" is shown in this painting in the National Museum. A black grandmother, a mulatto daughter with a white husband, and a quadroon grandchild. 

brazil1.jpg

• Members
19 hours ago, mvan1 said:

You got that right.  Here is a photo from the Brazilian television news of yesterday with protests against that hateful freak.  The photo might be old because it is used even in U.S. news papers.   

London, UK. 29th Sept, 2018. A demonstration organized by Brazilian women living in the UK against Jair Bolsonaro. He is running for president in the upcoming Brazilian elections although he stands out for his misogynist, racist, LGBTQ phobic and fascist positions. Penelope Barritt/Alamy Live News - Stock Image

The photo is from an anti-Bolsonaro protest in London two weeks ago.

I understand the protests against him in Brazil were much larger.

• Members
7 hours ago, Tomcal said:

what is interesting is that the sauna guys i know and am friends with on FB or Instagram, over a 100, Are voting for him!! For most of them it seems the main issue is crime which they experience so much more first hand, and while they work in saunas they are more religious then i thought! This guy plays up the religious angle and promises criminals will be taken care of...hmm sound familiar?  :-(

From what I've been hearing down here  the factors you mention Tom absolutely explain his appeal. 

Sauna guys, their (Brazilian) clients, sauna owners, and of course way beyond that particular profession reflect those views.  From my friends and colleagues here it is equally explained  by another factor.  A tremendous backlash against the left - the Workers Party or PT - which had a monopoly on the presidency for 14 years until Dilma was unceremoniously impeached two years ago.   That party's and their government's rampant corruption - including ransacking of state-owned enterprises like Petrobras - along with mismanagement of the economy, led to Brazil's deepest recession ever. 

For all those reasons Bolsonaro won not only the most votes but generally a majority in virtually every electoral district in Rio!   His son Flavio was elected one of two Senators representing Rio, and his other son Eduardo was re-elected to the House representing Sao Paulo.  On top of that his party, the PSL, won a very significant number of seats nationwide in both houses.      

• Members

Yeah but for those who are concerned about the future, how a president acts is usually very different from what he was saying in 3 or 4 years old interviews where he didn't have even a 1% chance to get elected. 

Brazil has a constitution too, unless he decises to turn the governments into a militar dictatorship. 

Saunas will keep working, everything will be the same (from a gay point of view). The biggest change will be in the short-term, on what the police does. If they become much more violent against criminals there's nothing wrong about it, unless you don't get involved in a shooting inside a favela. (and the question here would be... what the hell were you doing in there?). 

Here (RIO) people are literally praying to see in the headlines of the newspapers, the highest number of dead narcos, during an assault inside a favela. 

• Members

Have not met a businesswoman or businessman in Brazil that says they are not voting for the Tropical Trump. I voted for Trump and am a Republican. The US economy has been very good to me since his election. So good now looking for a new apartment in Rio. Hoping that Bolsonaro can improve the Brazilian economy just 2-3 percent per capita GDP. I will be working for his second term election just as I am Trump.

you  last night I was in a private group chat with 4 sauna or former sauna guys and one sauna owner and they all voted for Bolsonaro! all said “crime has gotten so terrible we have to see if he can do something about it!” They acknowledged his biases but do not believe Haddad and the PT party will make the changes necessary after being in power 14 years!  they said if he can get crime down and the economy up he is deserving of being President and he is one of the few in national gov’t with no charges of corruption against him!

• Members

Poll after poll has shown that this election is all about public security, corruption, and yes, the economy.  On that score,  the PT Party has failed on every count - at least according to those who count, namely Brazilian voters.  

• Members

Voting is mandatory for Brasilians. Yet I read that 40 million people who voted chose no candidate for president. That may show some vulnerability on the bigot candidate's part. People realize that the country could take a turn towards dictatorship if Bolsonaro is elected. Maybe these 40 million people will vote against him on Sunday. I am not too hopeful, but why not think positive?

• Members

PORTO ALEGRE, BRAZIL - SEPTEMBER 29, 2018: Woman holding a Hitler sign against Bolsonaro during brazilian elections - Clever drawing resembling the former nazi leader - 

PORTO ALEGRE, BRAZIL - SEPTEMBER 29, 2018: Woman holding a Hitler sign against Bolsonaro during brazilian elections

Petaluma, CA/USA-June 30, 2018: Man holds sign comparing President Trump with Hitler and Mussolini, calling them fascist thugs, during Keep Families Together March

For history buffs, since we are looking at photos that inspired Trump, here is a photo of a former German leader who was NOT a Nazi but was still a commander in the war against the U.S. - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel - 

Field Marshall Erwin Rommel, German commander in France and North Africa during World War 2. Rommel had been part of Hitler's circle in 1938-39, but was never a member of the Nazi Party. Ca. 1940-44.

Field Marshall Erwin Rommel, German commander in France and North Africa during World War 2. Rommel had been part of Hitler's circle in 1938-39, but was never a member of the Nazi Party. Ca. 1940-44.

• Members

Would you rent a place in Rio from a guy who supports Bolsonaro? My usual go-to rental in Rio is owned by a gay guy who has been posting pro-Bolsonaro posts on his Facebook. I've known the guy for many years and he is a good guy but his recent political leanings have me re-thinking renting from him. On the other hand I want people to be accepting of my political leanings even if they strongly disagree with me and so I am trying to let it go. The fact that an openly gay man would support Bolsonaro is baffling to me but I guess he is just fed up with crime/corruption and sees a better future with this guy in charge--no matter how distasteful.

• Members
35 minutes ago, asdsrfr said:

snip - - -

but I guess he is just fed up with crime/corruption and sees a better future with this guy in charge--no matter how distasteful.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your guess.  

Many garotos I know all support Bolsonaro.