TotallyOz

Bob Dole salutes Bush's casket

• Members
3 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

I did not put this in the political forum as I do not think it is political. If you have not seen the video of Bob Dole saluting Bush's casket, please view it. It is very moving.

It is very moving indeed, but it is hard to say it is not political. We are mourning the Republic, it seems.

• Members

And I piss on his casket. The man was a homophobe who stayed silent with Reagan all 8 years, then only late in his one term presidency did much about helping people with AIDS,  years after gay men started suffering and dying. How many men died because of the homophobia of Bush and Reagan. Closing down the government tomorrow for this one term travesty is a travesty in itself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/03/us/george-bush-hiv-aids.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=US

• Members

I've been fascinated by the coverage. It's very dignified and respectful, which I find refreshing and mature. The family entered today unannounced, to meet and greet the visitors. I saw Dole. I agree it was very moving. And then there was beautiful Sully, Bush's service dog. James Baker has been making the rounds, and his personal friendship story is amazing. Baker was a Democrat and changed his party affiliation to work for and support his dear friend. Now that's friendship.

Most amazing to me, and it got a lot of buzz this week, was Maureen Dowd's very personal piece in the NY Times. They had an ongoing friendship for many years, which he often kept from family members to keep the peace. He would meet with her privately and lie about it. Many secrets were revealed in the article, and it made me wonder how the family deals with that emotionally. I love reading about these truths after someone dies.

And, supposedly, Bush viewed Bill Clinton as another son. He was bedside with Hillary after Bill's open heart surgery. Fascinating.

• Members

Indeed he was not perfect and I have never been a fan, but we should judge him for more than his alleged homophobia. The man presided over the end of the Cold War. With someone else in office, we could be still cleaning up nuked cities.

As many commentators are pointing out, what makes Bush's life and contributions more meaningful is the contrast with the current commander in chief. Bush's death could mark the end of a political era, or could be the inspiration to return to common sense, rationality, and bipartisanship. Let's see whether Mueller may add some condiments to the momentum.