TotallyOz

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal | Slow Cooker or Instant Pot

One of my favorite things to do at Xmas is to eat oatmeal. I think because my mom made it when we were kids the week we were out of Xmas. I have now made this each week for 3 weeks and it is delightful.  Give it a try if you like oatmeal and like slow cooking and waking up to a wonderful smell of cinnamon in the morning.

Ingredients

cooking spray, butter or coconut oil
    1 cup steel cut oats
    2 cups water
    2 cups Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk*
    1 cup chopped apple pieces
    1 Tablespoon maple syrup + 5 drops of liquid stevia (or another sweetener of choice)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    toppings: chopped nuts, nut butter, extra maple syrup, coconut sugar

Instructions

For the slow cooker: Coat slow cooker with cooking spray, butter or coconut oil. Add all the ingredients besides the toppings into slow cooker and mix well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Place in a bowl to serve and sprinkle on toppings of choice.
    For the Instant Pot: Add all ingredients except almond milk and toppings into your Instant Pot. Cover with the lid and turn the vent to “sealing.” Press the manual button and set time to 4 minutes on high pressure. The Instant Pot will automatically start. Once done cooking, allow the pressure to naturally release. Once all the pressure has released carefully remove the lid and stir the oatmeal and serve.
    For leftovers: Let the oatmeal cool and place in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week. You can reheat the oatmeal on the stovetop or microwave. Just add a little additional milk to loosen the oatmeal, if needed.

https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/slow-cooker-apple-cinnamon-steel-cut-oatmeal/

14 hours ago, MsGuy said:

Oz, your Mama was a saint. I love oatmeal too especially on a cold morning.

That said, aint no way in hell yo moma in rural Alabama ever made no oatmeal with coconut sugar, much less almond milk. That recipe fairly reeks of gay boy in Bangkok. :poke:

Related image

PS I'll bet you US$10.00 she didn't use a slow cooker either. More likely a stove top pot  and Quaker Quick Cook Oats from the classic round box (Possibly the traditional 'old fashioned" kind and I'll give you that she didn't use the  Instant Oats version.) :D

Related image

Do I have to come to Thailand to collect my ten bucks? :P

LOL I do remember the Quaker Oats. But, I think because we had a farm and got oats for horses, it might have been the same for us? :)

• Members

I don't own a slow cooker, and if I did, it would never occur to me to make oatmeal in it. This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone doing that.

Oatmeal is one of my favorite morning breakfasts, but I sometimes have it for lunch and/or dinner. I can easily judge a hotel by the quality of their breakfast oatmeal. One of my best oatmeal experiences is a fond memory from a famous Maui hotel.

I often travel with oatmeal. My favorite brand is Oatmeal of Alford. It's a Scottish brand, and it's not easy to find unless you're visiting Scotland.

Edited by RockHardNYC