mvan1

So, this is why we ignore danger and visit Brazil

• Members
5 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

What makes us risk takers in returning to Brazil is memories of our last visit to Lagoa, Fragata, 117, Point 202 etc. 

Speaking of Lagoa and Fragata - -  last night and tonight those two places were not exciting.  This is because Sao Paulo's weather has been excessively hot. 

The weather has been in the high eighties and middle nineties. 

As most of us know, the saunas are not air conditioned except in some of the rooms that have individual air conditioners.

Therefore, it is difficult or impossible to make great "memories" in the general area of the saunas when you and a garoto are dripping in sweat from the heat. 

Worse though is that many garotos did not show up expecting the heat to keep the clients away. 

Many clients did not show up because they thought the heat would keep the garotos away.

These are the kind of memories I will forget after the weather cools.

• Members
5 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:
7 hours ago, Badboy81 said:

And the risk factor varies based on how old and fragile you are or appear when traveling to Brazil...

AND how white you are or what area you are venturing into.

I have an American black friend in his 20’s who went to Rio for the first time back in 2016.  

I warned him to NEVER let his guard down in Rio - but he told me basically the same as what is posted above: I’m black and muscular, they aint gonna mess with me! 

Then I got a facebook message from him while he was in Rio.  He had been robbed the night before at gunpoint by 3 guys outside The Week, and was extremely shaken up about it.  

He had gone down a dark sidestreet trying to find an Uber that was supposedly waiting for him (and had probably had a few drinks also).  When a gun is involved and you are outnumbered, being young, fit and muscular won’t help you at all. 

My only point in mentioning this is *none* of us should be over confident and think that only old, fragile, or white people are at high risk.  100% vigilance is required at all times in Rio.  I’m sure most of the people on this board already know this but it can’t be emphasized enough.

Edited by sanddunes

• Members
59 minutes ago, sanddunes said:

I have an American black friend in his 20’s who went to Rio for the first time back in 2016.  

I warned him to NEVER let his guard down in Rio - but he told me basically the same as what is posted above: I’m black and muscular, they aint gonna mess with me! 

Then I got a facebook message from him while he was in Rio.  He had been robbed the night before at gunpoint by 3 guys outside The Week, and was extremely shaken up about it.  

He had gone down a dark sidestreet trying to find an Uber that was supposedly waiting for him (and had probably had a few drinks also).  When a gun is involved and you are outnumbered, being young, fit and muscular won’t help you at all. 

My only point in mentioning this is *none* of us should be over confident and think that only old, fragile, or white people are at high risk.  100% vigilance is required at all times in Rio.  I’m sure most of the people on this board already know this but it can’t be emphasized enough.

(1) The Week is in Saude, a not very safe area at night. Since The Week is only open late Saturday nights / Sunday mornings, going down ANY street near The Week is a stupid move for anyone. This falls into the category of “what area you are venturing into”, that I mentioned above. 

(2) Stumbling around anywhere in Brazil when you are drunk — especially after dark and you are alone — is just asking for trouble.

Not to victim blame, but your friend used really poor judgment. None of my black Brazilian muscular friends would do what you just described that he did.

• Members
2 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

(2) Stumbling around anywhere in Brazil when you are drunk — especially after dark and you are alone — is just asking for trouble.

I do this a lot, but I should probably change now and stay inside the clubs until the sun goes up.  Fortunately, most clubs in Brazil (especially the Week) stay open until at least 7 or 8 am.

• Members
3 hours ago, Walker said:

I do this a lot, but I should probably change now and stay inside the clubs until the sun goes up.  Fortunately, most clubs in Brazil (especially the Week) stay open until at least 7 or 8 am.

Please stop doing that by yourself — for your own safety. When I am out and about drinking in Brazil, I always make sure I’m with a trusted person or two. 

I’ve been going back and forth to Brazil for 10 years. I was very recently in Rio and São Paulo for 3 months. I went to The Week (Rio) only once this trip (I’m over the “big giant dance club phase of my life — been there, done it all over the world, had a blast), and that was because some visiting friends wanted to go. It’s not really a great place to go alone — almost everyone goes there in groups (or meets up with a group of friends once there). The few who do venture and leave there alone tend to be turistas. Drunken solo tourists alone at night in Centro is just a powder keg of opportunity for malandros lurking around the corner.

If you are traveling alone and really, really, really need to go to The Week, I suggest you ask a (relatively) trusted garoto to go with you, pay for his night out, drinks and all. ESPECIALLY if you don’t “look the part”. It might even help you meet other guys there, since everyone there travels and moves in packs of shirtless flesh.

... and please, for the love of God, only catch a taxi or an Uber right in front of the club! Everyone knows The Week! There should be no need to have to walk to meet a ride.

• Members

I don't know what makes (or would make) The week so special for you guys... 

It's just a huge club where it's already nearly impossible to meet new people even while you're a sexy, muscled and shirtless portuguese speaker (due to the music). And the eventual hook-ups would be nearly at the level of a gay darkroom inside a cruising club, because of the lights and the average drunkness of the crowd (aka fuck and go, with the addiction of the "i am not sure /i don't remember who i have fucked with" factor) . 

Since the majority of the users here is probably not an Abercrombie's model, and since I guess the same majority likes to pay to have sex with that kind of guys, the real question is, considering what said above, the bad attitude of the people inside the club and the dangerous location...Why are you going to The week? 

Edited by likeohmygod

7 hours ago, likeohmygod said:

Why are you going to The week? 

Grown people GO and DO what they want to do...That is a silly question...

Just because you cant fathom why somebody wants to go to the Week...Why question why somebody else does...

It is what it is...

Some people simply like music...some people like the eye candy...some people like going out...

• Members
10 hours ago, likeohmygod said:

I don't know what makes (or would make) The week so special for you guys... 

It's just a huge club where it's already nearly impossible to meet new people even while you're a sexy, muscled and shirtless portuguese speaker (due to the music). And the eventual hook-ups would be nearly at the level of a gay darkroom inside a cruising club, because of the lights and the average drunkness of the crowd (aka fuck and go, with the addiction of the "i am not sure /i don't remember who i have fucked with" factor) . 

Since the majority of the users here is probably not an Abercrombie's model, and since I guess the same majority likes to pay to have sex with that kind of guys, the real question is, considering what said above, the bad attitude of the people inside the club and the dangerous location...Why are you going to The week? 

Believe it or not, there actually are other reasons someone might want to go to a big mega dance club other than pick someone up and have sex.

But here’s a rule of thumb: if you’re not successful in picking up shirtless hunky patrons at the largest circuit parties in your own home country, then it most likely isn’t going to be happening for you at The Week, either.

• Members
18 hours ago, mvan1 said:

And, some people like danger -

There’s nothing wrong with some rough trade every now and then, for some of us! The problem is: the general public, which includes many of the posters here, might not be well-suited for those kinds of “AYOR” situations — and its best fot them to stay away from them.