JKane

Seriously, how is it not 25th amendment time?

• Members

At least we can't blame Trump directlyabout covid19 knocking out the Florida Marlins and the old-school St. Louis Cardinals baseball teams,  just a few more players testing positive and the the season will be over.

But Trump is responsible for leaving millions of people without renewed assistance during the pandemic. And for calling covid19 the China virus.

And the post office delivery

• Members
On 7/25/2020 at 11:32 PM, AdamSmith said:

I think the searchable record shows the New Deal started delivering considerable benefits a good time before the War started.

My mother's blue collar family was helped by FDR backed programs, especially her parents. My mom was the youngest of eight children.

5 hours ago, Buddy2 said:

My mother's blue collar family was helped by FDR backed programs, especially her parents. My mom was the youngest of eight children.

Likewise. My maternal grandmother, born 1902 and working a 12-hour day at the local cotton mill, 6 days a week, starting age 15 (until age 73, btw; she liked the work) once said to me:

’When FDR came in and gave us the 8-hour workday and the minimum wage, we thought we had died and gone to Heaven!’

8 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

The truth about the American Dream: you have to be asleep to believe it. 

Also, that only a very small handful of leaders created it & kept it going: the Founders, then Jackson (maybe), then Lincoln, then FDR, then Kennedy (also Eisenhower in his own rather subtle & crafty ways), then Nixon (!) in his equally crafty approaches to the Soviets & the Chinese (walling off the psychological pathologies of Watergate, not to discount them as a precursor to where we are today)...

After all that, here we are.

• Members
15 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

Also, that only a very small handful of leaders created it & kept it going: the Founders, then Jackson (maybe), then Lincoln, then FDR, then Kennedy (also Eisenhower in his own rather subtle & crafty ways), then Nixon (!) in his equally crafty approaches to the Soviets & the Chinese (walling off the psychological pathologies of Watergate, not to discount them as a precursor to where we are today)...

After all that, here we are.

Harry Truman and Lyndon Johnson were far more consequential Presidents than John Kennedy.

22 minutes ago, Buddy2 said:

Harry Truman and Lyndon Johnson were far more consequential Presidents than John Kennedy.

Agree.

His one real thing was deescalating the Cuban missile crisis. Not an entirely negligible accomplishment.

(Which of course one could argue he may have partly triggered by his Bay of Pigs fiasco. So maybe as you imply 0 for 0.)

• Members
57 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

Agree.

His one real thing was deescalating the Cuban missile crisis. Not an entirely negligible accomplishment.

(Which of course one could argue he may have partly triggered by his Bay of Pigs fiasco. So maybe as you imply 0 for 0.)

President Kennedy was party to the assassination of Pres. Diem of South Vietnam in early November 1963. Yes, Diem  was a petty dictator, but the subsequent leaders were just as bad and often worse and holding the South together.

30 minutes ago, Buddy2 said:

President Kennedy was party to the assassination of Pres. Diem of South Vietnam in early November 1963. Yes, Diem  was a petty dictator, but the subsequent leaders were just as bad and often worse and holding the South together.

Yes. Which we have done over and over again, such as deposing the duly elected leader of Iran and imposing our puppet the Shah.

With an eventually entirely predictable chain of outcomes.

• Members
9 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

Yes. Which we have done over and over again, such as deposing the duly elected leader of Iran and imposing our puppet the Shah.

With an eventually entirely predictable chain of outcomes.

Even on the day of the assassinations in South Vietnam, Kennedy seemed confused and out of touch.

• Members

The thing about Bishop Talbert Swan, in the tweet further above, I can't get past his anti-gay book.  To me he shares that much with a lot of Trumpsters.

Do all his Tweets keep the collection plate full and sell more copies?

Edited by Pete1111
Quoted wrong post