Lucky

Putin/Trump 2020

• Members
9 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

In my 2 years as undergraduate at Duke, then a transfer to Yale (1977-1981 in toto ), almost all the term grade was based on the mid-term paper (maybe a few others), then the final paper.

A few courses, but few enough you could avoid them, graded significantly on an in-person final exam. In 3rd and 4th year at Jale I did not have to take a single one. Just these big papers they required.

And participation in seminar, which was a lot easier than sitting down to the electric typewriter (as what we had then in the Dark Ages :) ).

Electric typewriter? Not even that in my times. 

On 6/29/2020 at 3:18 PM, Buddy2 said:

But, I was also going by David Leavett's  "Term Paper Artist" about writing papers  for  blow jobs.

P.S. One knew David when he was a freshman and I a senior at that joint in New Haven.

I shall have to go through the now fast-fading memory banks & retrieve some jewels. :angel:

10 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

Electric typewriter? Not even that in my times. 

The ultimate torture.

I got my BA in 1981. It was like the Middle Ages technologically.

To hand in my 40-page senior thesis, I spent 2 nights on the floor physically cutting & repasting typed sections so they would flow & connect better.

:angry:

On 7/8/2020 at 7:58 PM, AdamSmith said:

P.S. One knew David when he was a freshman and I a senior at that joint in New Haven.

I shall have to go through the now fast-fading memory banks & retrieve some jewels. :angel:

Ah! Recovered memory. :) David as a frosh came flouncing up to me onetime outside Cross Campus Library and spouted excitedly, “I just realized the opening lines of The Waste Land are a reference to  those of The Canterbury Tales’.”

I suppose it shows my own immaturity that I replied, “Yes, well, that is one of the more obvious references.”

:rolleyes:

• Members
On 7/8/2020 at 7:42 PM, AdamSmith said:

In my 2 years as undergraduate at Duke, then a transfer to Yale (1977-1981 in toto ), almost all the term grade was based on the mid-term paper (maybe a few others), then the final paper.

A few courses, but few enough you could avoid them, graded significantly on an in-person final exam. In 3rd and 4th year at Jale I did not have to take a single one. Just these big papers they required.

And participation in seminar, which was a lot easier than sitting down to the electric typewriter (as what we had then in the Dark Ages :) ).

I have mentioned auditing courses at Penn, starting in 2006. Literature courses are occasionally  given with "take home" final exams. Not easy because, those exams are quite difficult. One of the courses was Thomas Mann, Herman Hesse, Franz Kafka, no term paper 

• Members

Ordinarily it would be hard to find two politicians more alike than Biden and Trump. If anything Trump was much more progressive on gay rights and Iraq than Biden.  The only more Trump-like Democrat would have been Bloomberg. But Bloomberg, while saying the worst things often, still is a decent  (above 13-year-old IQ) speaker. Trump and Biden are  not remotely decent speakers. (Which doesn't really matter since neither has much "thinking" to convey.)

I bring this up concerning the issue of "speaker's fees" which too many recent politicians have used as a valid way of taking huge bribes from Wall Street disguised as "speaker's fees", for which they often don't even give a speech and get $250,000 checks repeatedly adding up to tens or hundreds of millions of dollars. Biden's speaking problems just make the thought of any "speech" of his being worth $250,000 seem high comedy. 

I'm not as down on the book-writing schtick, even though it's got gimmicks. It usually only nets a pol 1 or 2 million while the speaking fee charade legalizes 100's of millions in bribes from Wall Street (and worse).   

Edited by tassojunior

• Members
On 7/10/2020 at 2:19 PM, tassojunior said:

Ordinarily it would be hard to find two politicians more alike than Biden and Trump. If anything Trump was much more progressive on gay rights and Iraq than Biden.  The only more Trump-like Democrat would have been Bloomberg. But Bloomberg, while saying the worst things often, still is a decent  (above 13-year-old IQ) speaker. Trump and Biden are  not remotely decent speakers. (Which doesn't really matter since neither has much "thinking" to convey.)

I bring this up concerning the issue of "speaker's fees" which too many recent politicians have used as a valid way of taking huge bribes from Wall Street disguised as "speaker's fees", for which they often don't even give a speech and get $250,000 checks repeatedly adding up to tens or hundreds of millions of dollars. Biden's speaking problems just make the thought of any "speech" of his being worth $250,000 seem high comedy. 

I'm not as down on the book-writing schtick, even though it's got gimmicks. It usually only nets a pol 1 or 2 million while the speaking fee charade legalizes 100's of millions in bribes from Wall Street (and worse).   

Donald Trump has totally screwed up in fighting coronavirus. Alarms are going off throughout the South and Arizona.

This country is doing almost as badly as Brazil. Trump totally lacks Biden's empathy. Something Barack Obama also has.

In a time of dire emergency who cares who is the better speaker.

The country didn't care in late 1963 and  early 1964 that Lyndon Johnson was a less effective speaker than John Kennedy.

• Members

FUN FACT: Trump did not pardon Roger Stone, but instead commuted his sentence.

The difference is that a pardoned convict can be compelled to testify against his conspirators and a convict with a commuted sentence cannot.

Total mystery as to why Trump chose that option.

• Members
On 7/11/2020 at 8:33 PM, tassojunior said:

Screenshot_20200711-202738_Instagram.jpg

In reality, a political forum is a good way to test one's memory, especially when  people have studied history and politcal science in college and/or high school.

I have learned a lot!