iendo

How is Mexico controling the outbreak?

In 3 weeks I hope be in Mexico. Looking forward to the trip, Zona Rossa, and the gay scene in general. But I'm also a little worried.

It seems that Mexico is the only country in the world that lets tourists (people in general) in without even a PCR tests. Firstly, I wonder why they don't ask people to get a PCR test in their country from origin. It's hard to believe that people would use that as an excuse not to come. With a couple of countries in Europe newly labeled as "RED" countries, can Mexico keep this up?

It's very hard to make a decision. A lot can happen in 20 days.

https://prnt.sc/1evrnd4

That doesn't look good at all. It seems that Mexico City is still a green zone. But if that changes and there will be no nightlife open or even worse, we might have to change our plans.

https://prnt.sc/1evu216

But, I guess Brazil must be worse off but you guys don't seem to have any problems there.

• Members

My understanding is that Mexico is experiencing another wave of covid & cases are rising, owing to the Delta variant.  Mexico State is 'green' but Mexico City is currently 'yellow' & will be moving to 'orange' next week.  In other words, the covid situation is worsening in CDMX.  Someone please correct me if I have got this wrong.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-23/covid-explodes-in-cancun-and-los-cabos-as-third-wave-hits-mexico

as someone who has a 2nd home in Mexico and goes to Brazil 4 times a year, i can honestly say there hasn’t been much change for me other then closing hours changing in Brazil’s saunas and restaurants and also Mexico(Merida specifically). my routines did not change drastically in either country with me finding the rules enacted were stricter in Brazil and the Yucatán then in the US!

Well, Brazil, despite Bolsonaro attempts to let the pandemic runs its course (and killing the projected 2 million deaths if no control measures were taken) is starting to see a downturn in cases, thanks to the vaccination rates gathering pace. The restrictions are much softer now (bars and restaurants - including saunas - can stay open up to 11 pm in São Paulo, the state with most restrictions). Keep in mind the virus is still in circulation, but if you are vaccinated and would use masks in public places , I guess it’s an reasonable risk to travel to Brazil now, and you would not lose much in terms of fun in Rio or SP - unless you would want to engage in crowed parties like the ones in The Week or other pool parties (some can still be found,  but “underground”).