reader

When Pattaya opens to foreign tourists, city plans to focus on Indians and Russian visitors first

From Pattaya News

The Pattaya Business and Tourism Association (PBTA) plans to focus on Indian and Russian tourists first when the city is open to vaccinated foreign tourists.

Mr. Boonanan Pattanasin, the president of the Pattaya Business and Tourism Association, (PBTA) told The Pattaya News yesterday afternoon, September 21st, “Many cities might have postponed the plan to open for foreign tourists. However, Pattaya is ready to open as early as October 1st, if given permission by the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).”

“Our largest number of tourists used to be Chinese, however, the Chinese government still has not allowed their citizens to go out from the country in tour groups. Additionally, China has a major mandatory quarantine of three weeks for the majority of any citizens who can leave to return home at this time which is not conducive to tourism. As China continues to pursue a “Zero Covid” strategy, it is unlikely that this will change anytime in the near future, whereas Thailand and Pattaya are moving to a “living with Covid-19” strategy.” Boonanon explained to TPN media.

“Therefore, we are now focusing on Indian and Russian tourists which are allowed to travel from their countries. They are still interested in Pattaya and our business and tourism industry partners report regular, intense interest from citizens from both countries on visiting Pattaya.” Boonanan added.

“In addition, India and Russia have no to very limited/loose rules about quarantine when citizens go back to their countries while some of our other previous tourist hotspots like Korea and Taiwan still have mandatory quarantine upon return.” Boonanon continued.

“This is another factor that is a major roadblock for tourists who wish to go traveling abroad. Western countries like the UK and Australia also have extensive quarantine measures upon return, which will limit those markets. The USA, however, has been a major provider of tourists for the Sandbox and has no quarantine rules upon return or ban on leaving and will likely also provide some level of visitors when restrictions are eased in Thailand, although due to distance and price will be nowhere near the level of Russian and Indian visitors.” Boonanon stated.

“Many residents and business owners are still afraid of another wave of the pandemic when Pattaya truly opens to foreign tourists without quarantine but the business community wants to stress to the government that lockdown measures, such as closing businesses, restricting popular tourist activities like drinking alcohol, nightlife, curfews, etc. are not a longterm solution. Once Pattaya is open, we cannot keep having kneejerk reactions the moment there are a few Covid-19 cases, especially in vaccinated people and asymptomatic, and closing business sectors. Pattaya is sitting around 70% vaccinated and will reach the goals set by the CCSA for reopening this month, being fully ready to welcome tourists.” Boonanon said.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/22/when-pattaya-opens-to-foreign-tourists-city-plans-to-focus-on-indians-and-russian-visitors-first/

1 hour ago, 10tazione said:

But why focus on specific countries? Whats the difference between a vaccinated Russian and a vaccinated Frenchman?

I think the clown who was quoted was (correctly) thinking not many people will show up from the UK and Australia whilst those countries have restrictions. 

He's probably not checked all of the other western countries which do not have such restrictions.

[Incidentally, I might be in the minority, but the UK red list will not stop me visiting Thailand.  Thai rules will determine whether or not I go.   If the UK still has quarantine, I'll just spend 11 night in a non-red list country on the way home.  Boris can stick his quarantine up his ****]

7 hours ago, 10tazione said:

But why focus on specific countries? Whats the difference between a vaccinated Russian and a vaccinated Frenchman?

I don't know about situation in France but my guess will be with all that red lists , quarantines and restriction upon return some western countries are putting their travelers practically locked inside while other are less restrictive thus makes sense from business point of view to pursue their residents ? .  

Z909 example above is good illustration in order to go to Thailand  one needs to find transit country upon return whether wants to go there or not and stay there for 11 days.

It seems that Thialand doesn't  not have monopoly to covid nonsensical rules.