reader

Moved

1 hour ago, Boy69 said:

I don't understand why you are saying ...?

Let me see if I can help.

On Nov. 25, I inadvertently posted an article in this (the Gay Thailand forum) that I had intended to post in the Beer Bar forum.

When I discovered my error a few minutes later, I had two options: leave it where it was or move the post to the Beer Bar. I chose the latter.

So as not to leave readers wondering where the OP had gone, I wrote See  Beer Bar CP Cuts flights in hopes that they would interpret this to mean that the post could now be found in the Beer Bar. I also counted on the revised headline "MOVED" would indicate that the OP had been moved.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Sorry for any confusion it may have caused.

This happens from time to time. Since once a post it made, it cannot be deleted but only edited within one hour of posting.

Interesting piece of airline history. And this is one of those forums where more than a few members are old enough to recall--or even flown--Canadian Pacific. 🙂

In 1968, Canadian Pacific Air Lines was rebranded as CP Air. The Canadian Pacific Railway Company (renamed Canadian Pacific Limited in 1971) had decided to align the airline's name and "Multimark" design to that of its other subsidiaries, including CP Hotels, CP Ships, and CP Transport (CP Rail was spun off from the parent company later).

The development of the great circle or polar route to the Far East from CP Air's Vancouver base would become one of the cornerstones of the airline.

Having been renamed CP Air in 1968 with a new orange livery, the airline in 1986 reverted to its original name, Canadian Pacific Air Lines, with a new navy blue colour scheme and logo. This occurred shortly after the airline had taken over operations of Eastern Provincial Airways.

This new incarnation, however, was short-lived. Less than a year later, in 1987, Canadian Pacific Air Lines was sold, along with Quebec's Nordair, to Calgary-based Pacific Western Airlines (PWA) for $300 million. PWA assumed the airline's debt of $600 million. In April 1987, PWA announced that the new name of the merged airline would be Canadian Airlines International. In 2000, Canadian Airlines was taken over by and merged into Air Canada.

Bristol_175_Srs_314_CF-CZW_CPAL_Ringway_

Bristol Britannia 314 "Empress of Rome" at Manchester Airport in 1965

Boeing_747-217B_C-FCRA_CP_TOR_270775_edi

Boeing 747, Boeing 737 and Boeing 727 in "Beautiful Orange" livery at Toronto International Airport in 1975

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Pacific_Air_Lines

I only once took Canadian. I was on a round the world trip with several executives from a client. Our first stop from Asia was Los Angeles but I elected to leave 3 days early and took Canadian so I could just relax in Vancouver first. On that trip the other airlines were American and British. The OneWorld Alliance had just been formed earlier that year with 7 airlines of which Cathay Pacific, Canadian, American, British and Qantas were original members. In the last 3 months of 1999 the Alliance had a promotion for members based in Asia. In that period, fly 3 airlines and you got a bonus of 25,000 miles; 4 airlines, 50,000 miles; and 5 airlines 100,000. Since I already had Cathay, I was up to four by mid December. And I had a holiday coming up in Sydney over Christmas.

On a rainy morning just after Christmas, I went out to Sydney airport. At the Qantas desk I asked the young lady for the cheapest ticket to anywhere and back the same day. She looked at me quizzically before looking into her computer. She suggested Canberra which would be around A$240. I asked for somewhere cheaper. She said Newcastle would be about A$185 but there was nothing to see there. I said it was still too expensive and I had no intention of seeing anything! Then she asked why I would go somewhere just to wait an hour and then come back. Apparently the promotion was only applicable in Asia, not in Australia. When I told her, she looked again. Then she said she had the perfect ticket. To Melbourne leaving in 30 minutes, 45 minutes on the ground and then back for about A$140. She told me it was a special pensioners ticker but no one would check my age and she'd give me both boarding passes. So posing as a young pensioner i did a quick round trip and earned the extra 50,000 miles. With a round trip business class ticket from Bangkok or Hong Kong to Sydney then requiring 60,000 miles, I thought it a great deal.

I kept hoping there would be a similar promotion, but it was never repeated.

Canadian Pacific Airlines was good for competition for Air Canada at that time. Their service was also better than Air Canada.

In March 1989, Canadian Pacific bought out Wardair which used to provide excellent service at a reasonable price.
"Wardair was not a discount airline but an airline providing good service at lower-than-average prices. They were known for high quality meals and friendly staff. "Steak & Champagne" flights was a popular advertising tag line in the 1980s, and won various awards from magazines for their service"  (from Wikipedia).

If I remember right, the debt CP Air took on lead to financial trouble for them.

PWA took over Canadian Pacific and then Air Canada bought out PWA (as mentioned in the OP). 

WestJet is now the main competitor to Air Canada, but they don't fly to as many places. There are also some low cost airlines, 2 of which are subsidiaries of Air Canada & WestJet.