reader

Govt mulls resuming 'Test & Go"

2 hours ago, z909 said:

I would travel to Thailand again under the current system.  At least until some of the other ASEAN countries offer a better system, such as no testing on arrival.  Which will happen eventually.

I would not. I am not traveling to a country with so many uncertainties and rapid changes at government policy.

I do prefer to travel to South America at the moment where it's much simple and clear but holding my plans till all this Covid 19 madness is over.

On 2/4/2022 at 7:22 PM, abidismaili said:

FYI: I have booked The Venue. That is to my surprise a Test&Go hotel.

Here’s the link u can check for T&G hotels. I got this link from Thai Pass website: https://web.thailandsha.com/shaextraplus

Book directly from the hotel. Your TP will need to route to the hotel for approval. If there are any changes, u can talk to your hotel directly. 
I booked mine with hotel directly. The hotel will be responsible for all the test and transport from hotel. 
I read some folks had little problems here and there when booking through 3rd party website. And u have more options when booking directly.

The approval is no longer able to get it done in 1 day. It needs more than 3-5 days. Do it early and more than 1 week advance.

I also used the Venue for the Test and Go. Just one night stay in December.

The Thai pass website is now recommending direct bookings with hotels to save time and complications. Unfortunately I cannot find the link again.

I did book direct with The Venue and all went well. They collected me from the airport and we went via Jomtien Hospital for a quick PCR test. I got the result next day. 

Only problem is The Venue does not accept cards for pre payment. I got a friend to drop in and pay for me. 

It's worth noting that just about all Test-and-Go arrivals who've entered in February did do under the old Test-and-Go policy that required only day one PCR test.

From Richardbarrow.com

The infection rate of all travellers entering Thailand by air:

•  November: 0.13%
  •  December: 0.45%
  •  January: 3.73%

February: 3.58% so far

• Test & Go: 0.59%
  • Sandbox: 5.00%

2 hours ago, gerefan said:

Only problem is The Venue does not accept cards for pre payment. I got a friend to drop in and pay for me.

That seems an odd policy, especially for an established hotel.  Can I ask what were the rooms like? It's a place I had been considering for a future trip.

I am staying at the Banyan Tree in late March. Booked the room last July as the deal was incredible. I have recently been in touch to find out about the PCR tests and will, I am sure, book directly with them. 

Day 1 PCR - 3,500 bht

Transfer to hotel in private hire taxi - 2,000 bht 

From Pattaya News

Health Minister reportedly not keen on easing of Covid restrictions, especially legally reopening nightlife and bar industry

Bangkok, Thailand- Recent statements from the Public Health Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul seem to contradict statements made by the head of the Department of Disease Control earlier this week about easing Covid-19 restrictions even as cases rise but hospitalizations and serious cases remain very low.

According to statements made by Mr. Anutin yesterday, February 7th, 2022, he has stated for people to “not rush to conclusions” about easing restrictions and seemed to pour cold water especially on the legal reopening of the nightlife and entertainment industry, which has been technically closed since April of 2021. The industry has been allowed to convert to “restaurants” in the interim but this has still had many rules, certifications, and restrictions that business owners claim cripple their income and industry, including a ban on dancing and an unpopular 11:00 P.M. national closing time even in popular tourist zones like Pattaya and Phuket. Mr. Anutin reportedly stated, according to Thai media, that there were “no plans” for reopening this industry anytime soon, despite ongoing outcry from business owners in this sector.

Critics of the closures claim the ongoing restrictions around nightlife and entertainment are mostly political and have little to nothing to do with Covid-19. The CCSA, however, denies this and says they only care about people’s health and believe these venues run as “normal” are still a major threat to the spread of Covid-19.

Anutin has also repeatedly expressed annoyance around lack of mask-wearing compliance in public, especially among foreign tourists, which also appears to shed doubt on the possibility of easing outdoor mask “mandates” set by provincial governors.

This also comes as the Thai Prime Minister, Prayut Chan O’Cha, stated in a speech yesterday that Thailand needs to learn to “live with Covid-19 normally.”

Regardless of what appear to be contradictions or different statements from different agencies, the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration, or CCSA, confirmed that they will be meeting to hear proposals from different agencies and organizations around Covid-19 restrictions later this week. TPN notes that Mr. Anutin’s opinion, although it carries heavy weight, is only one of many, and the Prime Minister chairs the CCSA and any final decisions on easing of Covid-19 restrictions.

Mr. Anutin has, however, stated that the Ministry of Public Health DOES plan on changing the way the ministry presents Covid-19 information, changing focus to serious hospitalizations and deaths vs. cases. It is unclear exactly when this change would take place, however.

There is, however, no promise that any restriction would be lifted or announced, including the much-despised “Day 5” required test for tourists entering Thailand on the Test and go program. We will keep a close eye on any and all final announcements this week or possibly early next week.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/08/thai-public-health-minister-reportedly-not-keen-on-easing-of-covid-restrictions-especially-legally-reopening-nightlife-and-bar-industry/