reader

Yaowarat Road one of world's 'coolest' streets

From Time Out / Thaiger

Yaowarat Road in Samphanthawong district is the main artery of Bangkok’s Chinatown. Modern Chinatown now covers a large area around Yaowarat and Charoen Krung Road. It has been the main center for trading by the Chinese community since they moved from their old site some 200 years ago to make way for the construction of Wat Phra Kaew and the Grand Palace.

Yaowarat Road is well known for its variety of foodstuffs, and at night turns into a large street food destination that draws tourists and locals from all over the city.

Time Out said…

“Lined with neon signs and bustling day or night, this cultural hub is home to temples, restaurants, markets, and legions of acupuncturists and dispensers of Chinese medicine.

“It’s been a street food lovers’ favorite for generations, but lately the area has seen cool galleries and high-end restaurants move in too, keeping Yaowarat as relevant and culturally diverse as the day it was paved.”

London-based Time Out magazine named Yaowarat Road the eighth coolest street in the world after polling readers about post-pandemic life in their city. Over 20,000 people took part in the poll which asked readers to base their ranking on food, fun, culture, and community.

Yaowarat Road in Samphanthawong district is the main artery of Bangkok’s Chinatown. Modern Chinatown now covers a large area around Yaowarat and Charoen Krung Road. It has been the main center for trading by the Chinese community since they moved from their old site some 200 years ago to make way for the construction of Wat Phra Kaew and the Grand Palace.

The top 10 coolest streets in the world are:

1. Rue Wellington in Montreal
  2. Gertrude Street in Melbourne
  3. Great Western Road in Glasgow
  4. Yongkang street in Taipei
  5. Værnedamsvej in Copenhagen, which I’ve likely butchered
  6. Karangahape road, Auckland, New Zealand which I’ve probably also butchered
  7. Tai Ping Shan street in Hong Kong
  8. Yaowarat Road, Bangkok
  9. Oranienstrasse in Berlin
  10. And Hayes Street in San Francisco

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-news-today-bangkok-street-food-destination-in-top-10-coolest-streets-in-the-world

2 hours ago, reader said:

Yaowarat Road is well known for its variety of foodstuffs, and at night turns into a large street food destination that draws tourists and locals from all over the city.

too bad that night visit would come at expense of Patpong / Silom bar visit but I need to brave myself one night

What a nonsense. An awful traffic clogged, super noisy through road-one of BKKs main arteries for its choking traffic, though there is now also a clean and very efficient MRT metro underneath. Mostly for Chinese only-sit at rickety chairs/tables where rows of 30 yrs old diesel fumes spewing citybuses chug by (I mostly know it as I sat in those red buses, mostly the 53 circular), no footpath, no traffic management. Probably-or at least pre-pandemic, also a hide-hole for illegal Chinese. Which is nothing new-it started about that way when the Chinese came invade Thailand.

For an open-air street -evening-market food with more flair: Tonglor/and opposite, along further out Sukhumvit. Or-go with a Thai-just over the bridge near the flower market just off Ywr-in Thonburi.

The current situation about the open air guys market promoting themselves along Klong Lot canal-in between this road and Sanam LUang/Palace I dont know-I think der christian has mentioned it somewhere in his post-covid overview.

In all BKK-big city must have at least 30+ of such food-evening-street-eat out venues, some even closed off for normal traffic those times. I think by far the most biggest is on the grounds of RamKamHaeng uni-an open field daytime along that road (still no rail-line to it, bus 60/537 or like 115 or 116 from Silom).