reader

The disaster that wasn't

A few days ago at JFK airport in New York, what's known as a runway incursion occurred involving a 777 and and a 737. If an air traffic controller hadn't intervened, a high-speed collision appeared inevitable.

ngcb4

Here's the audio between air traffic controllers and the pilots.

Because the 737 had to make an emergency take off rejection, it could not continue its flight until it underwent detailed checks by mechanics. The 777 did not and was was permitted to continue to London. The 737 was traveling at 115 mph when it braked. It took 661 feet to come to a stop.

It looks like the 777 crew may have mistook runway 4L for runway 31L.

Complete details at

https://airlinegeeks.com/2023/01/16/audio-authorities-investigating-near-miss-at-jfk/

I am sure JFK is not the only airport with near misses on the ground. But I was once on an Air France 747 from Paris which had to abort its landing because another aircraft had suddenly encroached on the designated arrival runway.

Perhaps the best-known incident was about 11 years ago when an Air France A380 hit a smaller Delta Connection aircraft's tail and spun it around. How fire was avoided - thank the Lord!

A passenger in the turbo-prop involved in the tragic Nepal crash live streamed the final moments of the flight. I never recall viewing video of a crash of a commercial aircraft from within the cabin. I've often heard the disclaimer: "This may difficult for some viewers to watch." In this case, it certainly applies to the second video below.

That first video showing the aircraft banking steeply to the left is remarkably similar to another turbo prop crash in Taipei 7 years ago. This was the second deadly crash by turbo props run by Trans Asia Airways. Three years earlier it had started international services to Bangkok and Chiang Mai as V Air using I believe an A 320. I should know as I took that flight several times.

The accident enquiry found that shortly after take off there was an emergency warning in the cockpit indicating that one of the engines was flaming out. In such a circumstance the engine should be shut down and the propeller blades automatically go into a position that will not affect the speed of the aircraft. The captain decided to turn around and return to Songshan airport (the one on the west side of Taipei). He orders the co-pilot to shut down the No. 1 engine - the one under the right wing. The aircraft quickly loses speed and stall warnings sound in the cockpit. The co-pilot tells the captain that there is now a flame out on both engines and asks how this is possible. Realising that he has shut down the wrong engine, the captain orders the left engine to be restarted. The plane banks steeply to the left and crashes. Even if the captain had ordered the right engine restarted, it is unlikely sufficient power would have resulted to keep the aircraft in the air as it was far too low to the ground.

Many errors on behalf of Trans Asia maintenance, the captain's preflight inspection and faulty coordination between the pilots were discovered. Soon Trans Asia ceased all operations.