PeterRS

Booking.com Failing To Pay Accommodation Providers

• Members
On 10/1/2023 at 10:13 AM, 10tazione said:

What is the alternative, especially for those who are not staying at 5* international hotel chains?
Booking each hotel at their selfmade websites and sending credit card data by email?

I usually book through hotel chain's individual sites. Most brands include mid-range properties, including Hilton (HHonors), the InterContinental Group (including Holiday Inn hotels), Marriott/Bonvoy (includes Fairfield Inn and Four Points, which are usually 3*), and Best Western. I only use the Hotels.com and similar sites for small towns which may not have any chain hotels. With the chains, one gets the lowest fees at their sites, and also accumulate points, which one can use at 5* places when one wants snazzier digs.

even most independent hotels I stay in now have online booking available as well. I just booked a place in Ubon Ratchatani by the Lao border that offered easy online booking. Granted it's a more upscale place so maybe they have to do it for their clientele. But unless you're staying in a very rustic place you should find online booking. There are lots of little chains in Thailand that are not the big internationals as well.

20 hours ago, unicorn said:

With the chains, one gets the lowest fees at their sites, and also accumulate points, which one can use at 5* places when one wants snazzier digs.

I've been a points and miles junkie for almost as long as the schemes have been running. And I have had lots of freebies at great places along the way - many upgrades and business class tickets, stays at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo and the wonderful Marriott on Phu Quoc etc. When covid started, Marriott Bonvoy clearly in need of cash had an offer of a 70% addition to purchased points. So I bought 100,000. As I expected, following covid the number of points required for stays at Marriott properties jumped. For the Phu Quoc property at almost exactly the same period (and keeping clear of major public holiday periods), they have jumped 60%.

I will still pick up whatever points and miles are offered, but no longer save up for specific stays or flights. It just takes too long now.

9 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I've been a points and miles junkie for almost as long as the schemes have been running. And I have had lots of freebies at great places along the way - many upgrades and business class tickets, stays at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo and the wonderful Marriott on Phu Quoc etc. When covid started, Marriott Bonvoy clearly in need of cash had an offer of a 70% addition to purchased points. So I bought 100,000. As I expected, following covid the number of points required for stays at Marriott properties jumped. For the Phu Quoc property at almost exactly the same period (and keeping clear of major public holiday periods), they have jumped 60%.

I will still pick up whatever points and miles are offered, but no longer save up for specific stays or flights. It just takes too long now.

Do you look at the 'Head for Points' blog/website? They give helpful updates in which loyalty programmes are the best, offers, etc.