reader

Thailand to bid to host 2028 World Pride

From Thai PBS World 

Thailand will bid to host World Pride in 2028, to reflect the country’s acceptance of and open mindedness regarding LGBT+ issues.

Government spokesperson Chai Wacharonke quoted Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin as saying that his government will fully support the bid and, if the country is selected, he would allocate budget for the hosting of the event. The event would also help boost the economy and tourism, Srettha said.

The 2024 World Pride event will be held in Australia. In 2025 it will be in the US and the Netherlands in 2026.

Srettha was speaking during a meeting in which participants discussed marriage equality and a proposal to allow transgender people to be covered by the country’s universal health coverage.

Chai said a draft marriage equality law will be put on the Cabinet agenda next Tuesday, and Parliament is expected to consider it in early December.

There should, however, be a roadmap for the process, which must include opinions from all sides, he said.

On 10/26/2023 at 9:14 PM, reader said:

From Thai PBS World 

Thailand will bid to host World Pride in 2028, to reflect the country’s acceptance of and open mindedness regarding LGBT+ issues.

Government spokesperson Chai Wacharonke quoted Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin as saying that his government will fully support the bid and, if the country is selected, he would allocate budget for the hosting of the event. The event would also help boost the economy and tourism, Srettha said.

The 2024 World Pride event will be held in Australia. In 2025 it will be in the US and the Netherlands in 2026.

Srettha was speaking during a meeting in which participants discussed marriage equality and a proposal to allow transgender people to be covered by the country’s universal health coverage.

Chai said a draft marriage equality law will be put on the Cabinet agenda next Tuesday, and Parliament is expected to consider it in early December.

There should, however, be a roadmap for the process, which must include opinions from all sides, he said.

The world pride has been held every other year pretty much in the last 10 years or so. There is none in 2024. It already happened in 2023 in Sydney and it was so much fun. Before that , it was held in Copenhagen in 2021. It's going to be in Washington DC in 2025, though they first assigned it to Kaohsiung, Taiwan. It got stripped because of naming issue. They are going to have one in Amsterdam in 2026, which kinda deviates from the usual cadence. Not sure what's the reason for that. Maybe some special anniversary like it was in NYC in 2019 (50 years of the Stonewall revolt).

Anyway, I guess we all in here are for BKK in 2028. Asia definitely deserves one. Taipei would be probably the best choice, but unfortunately we know why it can't happen.

• Members

I went to World Pride in Madrid 6 years ago.  It was fun, one of the parties was the big orgy party.  I am not sure if Thailand allows that.  In my opinion, asians are mostly too shy to have public sex(sauna mania is not public sex because people only have sex in small private rooms there, not in public).  I am a party goer, but not really interested in parade, or any group events on gay politics. I walked with the parade in Madrid for 15 minutes and thought that was enough for me.