PeterRS

Lonely Planets' Recommended Travel Lists

Yes, "lists" is correct. Not content with just a list of the ten best places to visit, Lonely Planey outdoes its competitors with five separate lists. The Best Travel 2024 list has no less than five different categories - Countries, Regions, Cities, Sustainable Travel and Best Value. Results are in many cases surprising.

Best Country is Mongolia. Now I wonder if that country is even included in any other list!

Best Region is Western Balkans Trans Dinarica Cycling Route. Well, and what if I don't fancy cycling? You'll probably prefer #5, Southern Thailand.

Best City is Nairobi. Huh? Not for gay travellers. it ain't. Homosexuality can be punished by between 5 and 21 years in jail. Stick to #2 which is Paris - as long as you can avoid the bedbugs LOL

Best Sustainable Destination is Spain. This is largely because of the country's efforts to expand renewable energy and bring tourism to hitherto emerging areas. I totaly agree with £2 on the list - Argentinean and Chilean Patagonia. Sorry if this is repeating photos, but I utterly adored my trip there way back in 2010.

Torres del Paine National Park with great views from the mega-expensive Explora Hotel

phpvEcRWwPM.thumb.jpg.ec6b336836e425d74795426575976b43.jpg

phpZP0hIlPM.thumb.jpg.e9ecd287977f12856fda301a9022e39f.jpg

Guanocos are watching you!

phpAnzoYkPM.thumb.jpg.048e7333dafb00ccad6b500562b8b7e5.jpg

Perito Moreno Glacier

Perito_Moreno_Glacier3_lr.thumb.jpg.ff5110651da2550a8a5d63320c99f910.jpg

Best Value is the USA's Mid West. Well I suppose if you take a gun with you, maybe so. The blurb stresses the cities of Chicago, Milwaukee and Detroit. Huh? Chicago is cheap? Not when I have been there!

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/lonely-planets-top-places-to-go-in-2024/index.html