PeterRS

Will You Fly On A Russian Made Aircraft?

On 11/16/2023 at 4:19 AM, vinapu said:

sometimes I'm under impression airlines don't understand that themselves

Indeed not. I have just been offered, and booked, a cheap BA fare, return Business to NY. I order to get this, I have to start in Frankfurt, fly BA to NY, and back, then fly BA to Frankfurt. This saves £1,500 on the BA business fare London/NY/London. Makes no sense to me!

5 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Indeed not. I have just been offered, and booked, a cheap BA fare, return Business to NY. I order to get this, I have to start in Frankfurt, fly BA to NY, and back, then fly BA to Frankfurt. This saves £1,500 on the BA business fare London/NY/London. Makes no sense to me!

But as was discussed some weeks ago, this has always been the case with a number of airlines, especially BA. When it was started it was something to do with feeding passengers into long haul services and away from their national airlines. But I cannot believe this is the reason for its being continued today.

The Japanese airlines regularly did this back in the 1980s and 1990s. Hong Kong to JFK via Tokyo return was often 40% or more cheaper than just Tokyo to JFK in all classes. And in those days you could tear up the HKG/NRT coupons without that affecting the rest of the flight - which of course one can not do today.