stevenkesslar

Are Republicans traitors?

• Members

Note:  Dan Crenshaw is a Republican U.S. House member.  From a Politico article on negotiations over an immigration compromise and Ukraine/Israel aid.

Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-Texas) was even more blunt, arguing that delaying progress for political purposes is, essentially, gross.

“My question to those Republicans … is: How many hundreds of thousands of illegals would you allow in the country just because it might help your chances of the election?” he said. “I ran for Congress literally on getting the border secure. So if I have a chance to do that, and I don’t do that, I’m a traitor.”

Again, I am not making this argument.  Compromise-oriented Republicans are making this argument.

I noted in a different thread that RFK, Jr. has some interesting arguments on this issue.  Politically, he is playing for the middle.  He takes most of Trump's "secure the border" goals, but defines illegal immigrants in a humanitarian way.  I find that helpful.  My point is that if Crenshaw is right and hundreds of thousands more people cross the border illegally, at least we can say they are people fleeing for their lives in many cases.  So this level of illegal immigration is clearly unpopular and a massive pain in the ass.  But I don't feel like it's evil to give people a chance to live and prosper.  Even if they are a huge pain in the ass.  This all fits with Reagan's vision of a shining city on the hill, and his immigration compromise law.

Speaker Mike Johnson is under tremendous pressure from former President Donald Trump and other conservatives not to give President Joe Biden a win on border security — an issue that has plagued him in the polls — ahead of the 2024 election. And members including Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) are openly threatening to oust the Louisiana Republican if he allows a new tranche of Ukraine aid through the House.

That comes way closer to my definition of evil.  And traitorous.  And definitely murderous. 

What some Republicans are saying is we would rather give Biden a political loss, even if it makes it easier for Murderous Vlad to kill women and children in Ukraine.  I think it is fair to call that murderous.  In outcome, if not intent.  And possibly traitorous as well.  My World War II veteran Reagan Republican Dad, who lived long enough to be disgusted by President Trump,  would be shocked that his Republican Party would throw democracy and Ukraine under the bus.  Why?  So that Trump can win and cut a deal with Murderous Vlad.

• Members

I can't agree that opposition to uncontrolled borders implies treason. That being said, Trump's meeting with Putin, with the only other person present being Putin's own interpreter can have no other reasonable interpretation except treason from that low-life draft-dodger. There's no question but that Trump puts his welfare above anything else, including, most certainly, his country. I think few borders are as open as the US/Canada border...

• Members
7 hours ago, unicorn said:

I can't agree that opposition to uncontrolled borders implies treason.

Neither can I.  

Just to be clear, on the issue of immigration and borders, I quoted a Republican House member saying he would be a "traitor" to not to accept a political compromise around uncontrolled  borders.  Neither he, nor I, argued that opposition to uncontrolled borders implies treason. His point was that opposition to political compromise on the issue implies treason.  I agree.  

(Kevin) McCarthyite Rep. Patrick McHenry made the same point without talking about treason.  

“If we keep extending the pain, creating more suffering, we will pay the price at the ballot box,” [Republican Rep. McHenry] said. “At this point, we’re sucking wind because we can’t get past the main object in the road. ... We need to get the hell out of the way. Cut the best deals we can get and then get on with the political year.”

“Frankly, Democrats are not going to vote for a border wall,” he said. So “take the moment, man — take the policy win, bank it, and go back for more.”

Of course, who woulda thunk that being a member of the US House had anything to do with principles, sound policy, and compromise?

MAGA membership seems to have an inordinate number of "recovering" alcoholic/drug addicts, morbidly obese, conspiracy-loving, gullible, poorly educated, fake religious, white supremacists. They're probably one of the main reasons spammers are able to profit enough to stay in business. At very least MAGAts are ignorant traitors, or maybe many are  just mentally ill.