t0oL1

Surprise Buddhist Holiday

Bars closed last night at 12:00. Thought it was a power outage as I looked outside the hotel the street was dark and quiet. Don’t see anything online about Buddhist Holiday today but my respects go out for all. 
Wondering if some bars might open after midnight here tonight, especially one late night bar in Pattaya 

2 hours ago, t0oL1 said:

Bars closed last night at 12:00. Thought it was a power outage as I looked outside the hotel the street was dark and quiet. Don’t see anything online about Buddhist Holiday today but my respects go out for all. 
Wondering if some bars might open after midnight here tonight, especially one late night bar in Pattaya 

there was post about it on the forum on Monday so nothing should be surprising to our readers

55 minutes ago, t0oL1 said:

THAT’S why I searched the internet and didn’t find a holiday for Feb 24. 

Evidently you didn't search very thoroughly.

I just googled the following: "February 24 Buddha Thailand holiday"

The top search result was this page:  https://www.thailandnow.in.th/event/makha-bucha-day/

Makha Bucha Day 2024
Makha Bucha Day (also, Magha Puja) is a religious celebration marking Lord Buddha’s teachings to his disciples that falls on Febrary 24th, 2024.

Makha Bucha Day (also, Magha Puja) is a religious celebration marking Lord Buddha’s teachings to his disciples. As with most Thai religious holidays, Makha Bucha is celebrated according to the traditional lunar calendar, on the day of the full moon of the third lunar month. Though specific dates may vary, the event usually takes place in late February or early March. This year’s Makha Bucha Day falls on February 24th.

50 minutes ago, t0oL1 said:

Some of us have better things to do.  
Some don’t. Good for YOU. :)

You must be the only person who didn't know about it! Full page on Facebook from D.J. Station (and other bars) informing.
So, your 'better things' are to are to write to this forum informing of you ignorance of centuries old Thai customs. Newbie in Thailand?

The surprise was that on Feb 23 at midnight the bars would close. 

Bars are getting to open in minutes here at midnight. Another surprise

Serene is only beer bar open on the Soi. PACKED  

Missing a sweet waiter from 1 1/2 years ago here ( recurring theme )

43 minutes ago, t0oL1 said:

The surprise was that on Feb 23 at midnight the bars would close. 

Bars are getting to open in minutes here at midnight. Another surprise

Serene is only beer bar open on the Soi. PACKED  

Missing a sweet waiter from 1 1/2 years ago here ( recurring theme )

this is how dry days are working in Thailand, it's from midnight till midnight. It's why those strange  closing and re-opening hours, theoretically bars can be opened past and before midnight  but can't serve alcohol so most of them won't bother.

Serene likely did not serve alcoholic drinks before midnight even if opened and packed. If they did they took risk or bribed somebody, still I'd be afraid of jealous competition.