unicorn

PC at Gay Men's Chorus gone crazy?

• Members

Last night I went to see the Gay Men's Chorus here in LA with a fairly large group of friends (12). As the chorus were singing, there was an American Sign Language interpreter on the side of the stage interpreting the words being sung. We were in the balcony, and the group tickets were $65 a pop with a group discount. I can't imagine a deaf man would ever buy tickets to a chorus performance, and I would consider offering a ticket to a deaf friend as insensitive--and downright insulting. Am I missing something, or is having an ASL translator at a chorus rather nutty?

while I agree with you 100% , insensitive at best unless there was some performance included . I wonder what actually deaf person would say though. Could enjoy just being there with friends as social setting, the same like going to church  while not religious

26 minutes ago, unicorn said:

Last night I went to see the Gay Men's Chorus here in LA with a fairly large group of friends (12). As the chorus were singing, there was an American Sign Language interpreter on the side of the stage interpreting the words being sung. We were in the balcony, and the group tickets were $65 a pop with a group discount. I can't imagine a deaf man would ever buy tickets to a chorus performance, and I would consider offering a ticket to a deaf friend as insensitive--and downright insulting. Am I missing something, or is having an ASL translator at a chorus rather nutty?

This has been very typical for choral performances in the US and abroad. for many, many years. It's not at all "PC" or "nutty." 

Deaf people are quite fond of music -- for its vibrations and rhythm. Depending on the level of hearing loss, there might be some remaining capabilities to hear melodic sound.

You should ask your deaf friends whether they've been to such performances with ASL interpreters. Also ask them who in the deaf community would welcome that type of enhancement.

Finally, chorus members have deaf friends. An invitation to their concert with ASL interpretation would be much appreciated as a generous and understanding gesture.

• Members

Also the lyrics brought physically to life even without dance or sound. I’m thinking My Christmas, for example, by Menotti (Barber’s partner).

Really, though, a justification is necessary? The tone deaf attend everywhere. 

giphy.gif

• Members
1 hour ago, Marc in Calif said:

...You should ask your deaf friends whether they've been to such performances with ASL interpreters. Also ask them who in the deaf community would welcome that type of enhancement.

Finally, chorus members have deaf friends. An invitation to their concert with ASL interpretation would be much appreciated as a generous and understanding gesture..

Well, I suppose that a deaf friend might attend a performance if he had a close friend who was singing, and the ticket was complimentary. That'd be a valid reason I hadn't thought of. I don't have any deaf friends, but, since your question implies that you do, have your deaf friends ever purchased a ticket to a chorus performance? Have you ever offered a deaf friend to go to such a performance yourself? If so, what was the reaction? I can't imagine that if I were deaf, I'd be interested, except to support a particularly close friend who was in the chorus. 

1 hour ago, unicorn said:

Well, I suppose that a deaf friend might attend a performance if he had a close friend who was singing, and the ticket was complimentary. That'd be a valid reason I hadn't thought of. I don't have any deaf friends, but, since your question implies that you do, have your deaf friends ever purchased a ticket to a chorus performance? Have you ever offered a deaf friend to go to such a performance yourself? If so, what was the reaction? I can't imagine that if I were deaf, I'd be interested, except to support a particularly close friend who was in the chorus. 

There are many gay deaf men. In my experience, they do enjoy dancing and going to concerts. I'm personally acquainted with four of them.

Every major gay men's chorus in the US has used ASL interpretation. And yes, there are gay deaf men in the audiences. Two of my friends have attended these performances and told me that they really appreciated the signing. In fact, that was the actual reason they bought tickets. 

The proof is this: Following songs and also at the end of the concerts, I've seen the universal deaf signal of appreciation and applause. 🙌🙌🙌🙌

• Members
1 hour ago, Marc in Calif said:

... Two of my friends have attended these performances and told me that they really appreciated the signing. In fact, that was the actual reason they bought tickets...

OK. I stand corrected. Thanks for educating me. It never would have occurred to me. I always have an open mind. 😉

• Members

The funny thing is that I've never seen ASL interpreters at any of the many musicals I've attended (Hamilton, Lion King, Book of Mormon, and so on), where one might think deaf people could at least enjoy the theatricality, dancing, sets, and so on. It surprises me that of all performances, a deaf person would go simply to watch a chorus sing. I guess one learns something new every day. 

8 hours ago, Thomas_88 said:

In my opinion ASL is not very inclusive...  

Who is not included if there's an ASL interpreter? And are you talking only about government press conferences?

Subtitling a news conference would be considerably slower (and more prone to error) than having ASL enhancement, which typically lags only a few seconds behind with a skillful interpreter.

• Members
32 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

Who is not included if there's an ASL interpreter? ...

I thought it was obvious from his post: those who are hearing-impaired and can read, but don't know ASL. I'd think that there would be a significant number of people in that category, especially among the elderly. Even English/native language operas usually have supertitles. I've never seen an opera with an ASL interpreter. 

• Members
On 3/27/2024 at 2:04 AM, Marc in Calif said:

Who is not included if there's an ASL interpreter? And are you talking only about government press conferences?

Subtitling a news conference would be considerably slower (and more prone to error) than having ASL enhancement, which typically lags only a few seconds behind with a skillful interpreter.

Every other sign language that isn't ASL & there are dozens sign languages that aren't ASL. Not only gov press conferences, sometimes companies do press conferences too with two or more interpreters.

• Members

Sorry, my comment about companies doing it was not correct, I can't find such press conference but when I search on the YouTube there's different vids about interpreter imposters. The chorus probably isn't some improvisation thing, so you can check the quality of the supertitles beforehand.