reader

Bangkok to hit 41 deg. today

From Thai PBS World

Thailand is experiencing very hot weather across the country today, with the maximum temperature predicted to rise to 43oC in some areas of the northern region, according to the Meteorological Department.

Maximum temperatures in the northern provinces today are forecast too range from 38oC to 43oC, while the north-eastern region is expected to peak at 41oC.

The central region is also hot, with maximum temperatures varying from 39oC to 42oC. In Bangkok, the maximum temperature is predicted to reach 41oC.

Normally, I would have considered a Songkran trip but decided to spend 3 weeks in Japan instead, admiring the cherry blossons and enjoying the balmy weather.

On my return I got itchy feet again and planned a trip to Thailand and Cambodia last week but on checking the daily temperatures, I have since thought the better of it and will have to wait till it cools down a bit.

I remember doing a trip to Myannmar during April a few years ago when it was 42 degrees every day and I nearly died! We have these high temperatures here in Perth from time to time during summer - this year we had over a week of consecutive days over 40 - but I just stay home in the air conditioning. It's not a time to be out and about sightseeing.

BTW, Japan was ridiculously overcrowded with Chinese tourists. Unfortunately, they are back with a vengeance. Of course, they have as much right as anybody else to go on holidays; it's just that the sheer number is overwhelming. In the carpark near a famous temple in kyoto I counted 52 huge tourist buses!

7 hours ago, a-447 said:

BTW, Japan was ridiculously overcrowded with Chinese tourists. Unfortunately, they are back with a vengeance. Of course, they have as much right as anybody else to go on holidays; it's just that the sheer number is overwhelming. In the carpark near a famous temple in kyoto I counted 52 huge tourist buses!

Blast, I was considering a Japan trip next year and Kyoto was on my short list of places to visit.

I've never seen Japan so crowded - it was an unreal feeling being surrounded by so many people and never hearing a single word of Japanese spoken.

I only visited a few famous sites,  preferring to go to places usually only Japanese go to. So I managed to escape the crowds most of the time.

Don't let the crowds put you off - afterall, it was cherry blossom time and peak season.

Just make sure you don't go in summer, as it is the rainy season and the humidity is oppressive. Other times during the year the weather is great.

Pent up demand and the JPY hitting long-time lows vs the USD and other currencies. I guess there is a lot of complaining by the locals about overtourism. I think the government is trying to get people to venture beyond Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka

I'm headed there for a couple of weeks in October