Rogie

Do you shave your 'manhood'?

Beard-Loving Hipsters Give Razor Sales a Shave

"Procter & Gamble, which owns shaving giant Gillette, recently announced that its razor sales are falling in developed markets. Energizer’s Schick razor has also taken a recent hit, with sales dropping 10 percent in the last year. Market research firm Euromonitor International predicts that in 2013, shaving products are expected to lose their dominance in the larger male grooming market for the first time ever.

For some men, growing a beard is not just about chucking their razor — it’s a full-on cosmetic surgery procedure. A growing number of vanity-conscious lads, at least in the U.K., are opting for beard transplants, a trend that has skyrocketed over the past year, The Daily Mail reports.

Dr. Bessam Farjo, founder of the Farjo Hair Institute who performed the world’s first facial hair transplant in 1996, said he’s seen a six-fold increase every year for the past five years in the number of men getting surgery to boost their facial follicles. Over 4,500 procedures were carried out last year, 13 percent more than in 2011. His transplant procedures are the most popular form of cosmetic surgery for men in the U.K., which he credits to scruffy celebrities like as Pitt, Beckham and BBC presenter Jeremy Paxman.

One stateside gentleman who clearly doesn’t need a beard transplant is “magnificently hirsute” L.A. Dodgers pitcher Brian Wilson, who was offered $1 million by 800razors.com to shave his “manhood,” but denied the request. TMZ reported that Wilson’s reps didn’t even consider the deal, responding that his trademark beard is “going with him to the grave.”

So is facial hair here to stay? If you look at the broader arc of history, it’s been the dominant look for centuries. Ancient Greeks considered beards a sign of virility, and Europeans in the late 19th century took them to be a sign of middle-class respect. It was only with the Beat generation that facial growth became a sign of counterculture.

So perhaps the clean-shaven look was just a blip on our radar."

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/08/25/beard-loving-hipsters-give-razor-sales-a-shave/?xid=newsletter-weekly

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2397637/Beard-implants-growing-Number-men-opting-transplants-fold-past-years.html

I have recently been watching the most pro beard show in the history of entertainment: Duck Dynasty.

These guys love their beards and each season talks about their unwillingness to shave.

I have seen more of a trend with guys wanting to grow beards more recently than in the past but I think part of that has to do with the dynamic change in office protocol. If you work at any large tech company, you will find beards, shorts being worn, and everything is provided for comfort and relaxing at the workplace. This was not true years before but more and more companies are trying to loosen the rules at the work place.

I once worked in a job that a shaven face was required.

Guest bbillybb

I for one cannot stand a beard at all. I delay shaving simply because I am lazy. Overall i do not like the look of a beard as it seems to lend a look of dishevelment  and scraggyness,

Guest Devint6669

For this is a question that with two different answer.

I could say yes for facial hair as long as my man take good care of it, If it is a short bear i found it sexy but it's long bear and very badly trim i would say NO for sure.

And as it is for body hair I will have again to different opinion the first it a big No for the private part of my self or my partner at it is for the chess i'm ok  with it but if it is a bit to shaggy i will say -Please Sweaty trim it for the love you got for me... I will please after!555

Michael mentions office protocol. That seems a good yardstick, what is generally permitted and what isn't. At one time, moustaches and sideburns were acceptable for people who didn't want to go the whole hog. The rest of their face was clean-shaven. A man with a heavy beard growth and a 5 o'clock shadow was no problem, but turning up for work when it's obvious you hadn't shaved would soon attract adverse comment. Of course in those days men of influence, such as movie stars, were clean shaven and represented the epitome of manhood! Peer pressure kept men looking all the same, although there were some men who sported facial hair but it was a proper beard, not stubble. The trend towards stubble being seen as acceptable for the office was possibly predicable given the lowering of the bar with regards to other indicators such as a more relaxed attitude to what employees could wear without censure. 

IMHO facial hair was dominant throughout history as it was pretty hard to get rid of until modern razors were invented which made shaving easy and kind of enjoyable.

In future  it will be probably left to vagaries of fashion and so will be sales of shaving equipment. At the moment beards are "in '' so razor sales are down.

Another contributor may be quality, I used to change razors every month or so , now it lasts 3 and with age facial hair is not becoming softer !

Would not dream about leaving home unshaven but I still have my original mustache , never shaved above upper lip in my entire life, just trimmed from  time to time. Apparently this is not sign of  much of class but who cares?

Personally I don't care about other's facial hair but don't like look of unshaven face for day or two, grown beard looks  OK .

I thank God  Thai boys tend to be smooth all over as I do not like body hair on my companions.

On another hand I hate  clean shaven pubes, way too girly, if I want girl would be camping on other side of Suriwong. 

According to vivid discussion on the subject I found on Singapore's Blowing Wind gay forum shaving ' there ' is becoming worrying trend / for me at least /, but this is another subject although Rogie started post with 'manhood ' in the title. so I feel still on the subject.

So it looks there's no consistency at all in how I look on issue of body hair but at least I consistently I never dilute my gin with anything, not even tonic 

I used to shave at irregular intervals, every 2 or 3 days. Once this period of time is passed, I would have to shear first, which is a lot more effort, so I will continue growing a beard up to 3 weeks (then it becomes uncomfortable and I will shear and shave). But I don't like shaving, it takes time and sometimes irritates my skin.

Now I found out that I have as many Thai friends who think I look good with a beard as those who think I look better without a beard.

I clearly prefer Thai boys without facial hair or body hair. If they shave their facial hair, that is ok; but facial hair is a good indicator for hair elsewhere (where I don't like it), so rather pass on everyone with facial hair, shaven or not.

It is my impression too that quite a few This are attracted to  our body hair the same way we are attracted to their smooth skin.

I'm hairy and on quite a few occasion I noticed that this is what boys like even commented as sexy.

Try to grow Marx and Engels type of beard and see what happens , you may find yourself in demand far exceeding expectations.

If I saw somebody like that in the modern era, maybe I could be forgiven for suspecting some crafty photoshopping, because how on earth can anybody function normally without a mouth? Yes it's in there somewhere, but forget about eating, I shudder to think about that, but if he was a smoker and many men were, that beard is such a health and safety hazard that every time he lit up he'd be advised to carry a portable fire extinguisher in one of his many pockets.

Strange that the hair and side-whiskers are neatly groomed, yet the moustache is not. He'd've done better to wax it and curl it away from the mouth. Doing so he might have tickled the fancies of many a young admirer.

T0ol's confusion was perfectly understandable. I just took that rather mischievous reference (in the article quoted in the OP) to a guy's beard as his 'manhood' and inserted that into the subject header for my topic. A bit cheeky really, as we all know manhood is a natural progression from boyhood, as in numbers 1, 2 and 4 below.

Webster's college dictionary gives these:

1. the state or time of being a man..

2. traditional manly qualities.

3. the male genitalia.

4. men collectively.

5. the state of being human.

When referring to a man's (the male of the species!) manhood we usually mean his cock, or cock and balls. So Vinapu's timely post above is perhaps worth dwelling on, although I see there are 400 replies to that topic 'All about pubic hair' on that particular forum which I have no intention of reading as I think it can be summarised in 8 words. Some men shave down there and some don't.

Going off at a tangent, I came across this website Manhood: the foreskin substitute for circumcised men. I can hear the cries of

anguish already . . . "oh no, not that topic again". That's true, we flogged it to death not long ago. But this is something a little different, at least to me, first time I've heard of it.

For anyone interested, check out:

So Vinapu's timely post above is perhaps worth dwelling on, although I see there are 400 replies to that topic 'All about pubic hair' on that particular forum which I have no intention of reading as I think it can be summarised in 8 words. Some men shave down there and some don't.

You are perfectly correct with assessment of contents of link I provided but thought somebody enticed by the original tittle may want to check the subject there.

Sorry Christian!

Beard backlash: the clippers are out

“What a lot of hairy-faced men there are around nowadays,” begins one of the greatest kids' books of all time, Roald Dahl’s The Twits.

What Dahl, who once said he was moved to write the book because he wanted to “do something against beards”, would have made of today’s most worn-out male fashion trend, one can only imagine.

I mean, a joke’s a joke. But it’s time to face facts, fellas.

It’s time to shave.

You can argue forever about when the great beard revival of 2013 began (some would argue the trend has been bubbling along since 2011 or 2012), but there is little doubt about the moment when the beard finally jumped the shark; it was the "Paxman moment".

Since that evening in August when Jeremy, freshly back from his hollers, peered out of our screens with all the gravitas of Albert Steptoe, nothing has been quite the same in beard-land.

Indeed, there is increasing evidence that in the new-beard’s spiritual heartland, London’s East End, pognophobia is the fastest growing new trend.

Fashionable gay men in particular, are totally done with beards, and have been sporting a cleaner cut look post-Paxman.

Straight men are now starting to follow suit in their droves. Debenhams announced this week that its sales of grooming gadgets such as electric shavers had soared 24%, as the clean-shaven look returns.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fashion-and-style/10388072/Beard-backlash-the-clippers-are-out.html

(Note to non-Brits, Paxman is an extremely irritating (at least to me!) interviewer on late night BBC TV. On the other hand he is very good at his job.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10249396/Jeremy-Paxman-Its-only-a-beard-but-its-a-big-burden.html