vinapu

IMpresions from November 2013 trip-flight, hotels, BKK transport, money & regular tips

Those my general impressions from my recent trip to Bangkok and Pattaya in November 2013 .

If you are interested in my day to day  goings please refer to my ‘ Off to Thailand ‘ thread.

I will post bar and massage impressions under separate thread.

FLIGHT

I flew with Korean Air and liked seat pitch, service , food and Incheon  / Seoul / airport I was connecting through. If you have longer  layover you are entitled to a free trip to quite a few places in vicinity of airport. Trips are well advertised and friendly hostesses may actually offer one before you notice board.

For both meals during flights we had 3 choices , for some Asian dishes they actually provided  printed instruction how to go about preparing that dish –impressive.

BANGKOK TRANSPORT

Trains from and to airport are running 6-24 so you need taxi only if you are flying at night and early in the morning. There are 2 trains, hourly non-stop expresses to Makkasan and Phaya Thai stations, departing  5 minutes apart. It costs 90 baht and takes 19 minutes. At Makkasan  you can connect to MRT / underground / , at Phaya Thai  you can connect to BTS / overhead train/ .

If you missed one of express trains you have regular City Link trains departing every 15 minutes and stopping 6 times before they reach terminal at Phaya Thai after about 40 minutes. It costs 35 baht.

For BTS and MRT you need to purchase tickets in the machines , is you do not have a change there are change counters at every stations and there’s no problem getting change even on 1000 baht note.

In fact I used them daily before hitting bars in order to get supply of smaller notes and coins. This way  eliminates need for a change and possibility of extorting tips or shortchanging you. You tip exactly what you want if you have enough change.

Ticket for each mode of transport must be purchased separately so when you transfer for BTS to MRT etc.  you need to buy new ticket.

Taxis used sporadically and likely had a bad luck because on 3 occasions drivers did not want to use meters, fuck you said I and went to look for another one which is easy even in deep night.

In  my previous 8 trips I had 1 or may be 2 cases of refusing meter so wonder if drivers got greedy or I had bad luck this time.

HOTELS

To astonishment of many including my boys I change hotels every  2 nights , I just like change I guess.

Used BBB Inn, Tarntawan, Om Yim, Le café Royale in Pattaya, Malaysia, BBB Inn again and Pavilion Place.

Here are my likes and don’t likes:

BBB Inn – like location right behind soi Twilight with all the bars, room size and layout and availability of in –house massage boys 7/24,free  computers internet in the lobby, don’t like lack of food facilities – for breakfast went to Foodland in Patpong, 6 minutes away, American breakfast there 59 before 9 , 69 after, very good deal. There are no elevators at BBB Inn which I don’t mind but some may ( Happy Thansgiving to you American elevator/ escalator  lovers).  Massage boys at BBB may be kind of intimidating for some as you may feel guilty of having boy from outside in tow while they are unemployed at the moment . At end of day BBB is my home away from home in BKK anyways. Room 1320 /night. Safe in the room not working , use one on reception.

Tarntawan, much more classy place and more expensive of course which I found fair  , got deal  for 1800 but prepaid in June for Nov. Breakfast for 2 included , both boys were treated the same like me and actually addressed before me by the waiters which I liked. As I’m not fan of spending money on luxurious accommodation would not go higher in BKK and found hotel very comfortable. Guy at the elevator acts as KGB and keeps your visitors ID till they leave which is good. No, I  did not use elevator there even once . You will get your own business cards with your name ‘ in residence”, safe in my room did not work , used one at reception, no problem at all. Free computers in the lobby.  Tawan bar around the corner literally.

Om Yim, at 1100/ night very good value for money , right at Chong Nonsi BTS, has own restaurant, good and inexpensive food, breakfast 80-90, safe in the room worked perfectly. Room small but well appointed, no elevator  (Happy …….etc. as above),  Arena massage around the corner. I found it clean and not noisy even if facing BTS tracks and busy street. Recommended for everybody excluding elevator lovers.  Will stay in future for sure even if had bad luck with my offs on both nights.

Le Café Royale in Boyztown , Pattaya.  Smack right in the middle of the action with 10 or so bars within 100 seconds walk. And of course whole soi sees who you are bringing back to your hotel. Console yourself with feeling that your boy is much more handsome than theirs and has bigger dick too.

Breakfast not included but they have restaurant downstairs, sitting there you can spy on whole Boyztown, had breakfasts in the Boat restaurant 40 seconds away on other side of 2nd Road for less then 100. Good food there throughout the day too. Safe in the room working perfect, only thing I did not like was lack of door to the washroom with kind of partition instead, kind of lack of privacy if one wants to take a dump , sorry my language. I was on 2nd floor and room was quiet, facing back, not soi. They have elevator for you and your suitcase.

Malaysia Hotel, great positive surprise. At 840 / night I did not expect anything while I got big clean room with 2 beds, single and double. Staff extremely nice, no safe in the room, used one on reception.

Breakfast not included but can be had in the coffee shop in the lobby, Internet 40baht / hour with several computers available. No idea where famous moneyboys disappeared, did not see even one which was big disappointment as when my boy left at 3 a.m. as agreed went downstairs looking for consolation and found note, the same on street in front. Consoled myself with ice cream and 2 hours spent at computer updating my posts on this board. Few massage shops and good restaurants around.

Not a walking  distance to Silom, used taxi 50-60 baht or walk to Lumpini MRT and it’s onestop for 16 baht to Silom or two for 18 baht to San Yan for soi Twilight. Malaysia is the best value for money

accommodation wise  I found in a long time. And has an elevator as a bonus to you know who you are.

Pavilion Place , right in Patpong above ScrewBoys bar. Can’t beat location for Patpong, at 1000 / night reasonable value for money, nothing fancy, room quiet, did not hear bar noises at all, breakfast again at Foodland. I’d say adequate, no problem with straight guests when bringing back boy, actually I expected hotel to be much raunchier but found it quiet other than rather noisy A/C unit.

MEALS

I’m not great in this subject, dined usually at Maxi’s or Dick’s in soi Twilight, enjoyed food in both places and liked entertainment value watching comings and goings in the soi.  I’m not adventurous with food  anywhere and survived 60 plus countries without Montezuma’s revenge so this is not my subject

TIPS

We are talking regular tips, not ones owed to the boys. In restaurants if bill is 300 or less I tip 20, if 301-600, I tip 40, above 601 -60. In bars, 20 for each serving regardless on invoice. Mamasans are getting 50 if used their services for  selection/ translation, two from Dreamboys got 100 each but they went extra mile looking for boy I wanted unfortunately so deserved it. If no services provided and They are still looking for  a tip I’m offering 1 baht coin, ample supply I ensure in my pocked, this is how I got rid of unwanted advances of mamasans at Classic boys and one of X’s. They got a message fast.

In massage places , the same. In Arena tipped 100 on 2 occasions when they let me to take boy off for long time without off fee. In both occasions I had massage at venue in the same day but still consider them very generous as they knew I’d pay and still did not charge me.   

MONEY

Airport exchange rate uniform with exception of last counter right where train platform starts on your right when coming . City rate varied  between 31.55 and 31.12. Before  you spent half day looking for a best rate consider that this difference means 43 baht more or less on the 100 USD, can of beer costs 38.

Depending of how much you are exchanging you make your own mind if you want to hunt or not for a rate. If you are staying in Patpong during my 2 weeks consistently best rate had jeweler beside Family Mart on Suriwong, on your right when leaving a soi Twilight . There’s another on in soi Thaniya with similar rates.  She had minimally better rate on euros and CAD than him, not USD.

In case you need to break bigger notes head my advice above and go to BTS station change counter.

I found exact change always convenient as nobody can shortchange you on change. At X-size they tried anyways.

I don’ use wallet, have 2 pocket shirts and 4 pockets trouser sand distribute money  between them.

Shirt 2*1000 in one pocket, 1000+500 in another. Trouser back 500 note each, front left all 20 and 50 I have plus coins, front right 7*100. This way I can control spending and none of pockets  is bulky.

Never  had anything stolen in Thailand but better to be safe than sorry .

Thanks. That must be one of the most useful hotel reviews ever, considering you tried so many on one trip.

In Le Cafe Royale, what spec room did you get on the second floor? I think the room prices vary a lot, so am interested if they offer a quiet room at a sensible price.  Never stayed there due to risk of noise.

Le Café Royale in Boyztown , Pattaya.  Smack right in the middle of the action with 10 or so bars within 100 seconds walk. And of course whole soi sees who you are bringing back to your hotel.

I've had that too. My first ever night in Pattaya was in the Ambiance & there was a concert going on in the street. As I walked along the raised verandah area, it seemed most of the audience were briefly more interested in my new friend than the show on stage.

Thanks. That must be one of the most useful hotel reviews ever, considering you tried so many on one trip.

In Le Cafe Royale, what spec room did you get on the second floor? I think the room prices vary a lot, so am interested if they offer a quiet room at a sensible price.  Never stayed there due to risk of noise.

I've had that too. My first ever night in Pattaya was in the Ambiance & there was a concert going on in the street. As I walked along the raised verandah area, it seemed most of the audience were briefly more interested in my new friend than the show on stage.

I did not place any requests, just accepted what they gave me but room was facing wall in the back and was very quiet. It was 1100 plus 7.5% of tax, no breakfast. I live on busy street so have high tolerance to street noise and rarely bother hotels with request for quiet room.

As for audience spying on us and our boys as long as they feel jealous we get our price worth. When walking up the Convent with boy from Adonis overheard comment by passing farangs eye pleased with my catch, don't recall exact wording but it made me proud of my boy even more and was kind of ego booster for me.

Cooking next report about my findings of bars and massage places but it may take few days as I'm throwing my annual  party tomorrow and am busy with preparations.

Quite possible that others in the soi  /Ambiance, Copa, Serene / have breakfast included but I did not investigate matter.

What's the Serene like? 

I've not managed to find a website for them or any reviews on trip advisor. I once wandered into the lobby and it looked really downmarket. Reception staff were not helpful & so I walked back out about 2 minutes later.

Location would be very good if they got all the basics right. 

What's the Serene like? 

I've not managed to find a website for them or any reviews on trip advisor. I once wandered into the lobby and it looked really downmarket. Reception staff were not helpful & so I walked back out about 2 minutes later.

Location would be very good if they got all the basics right. 

No idea other that is there, did not venture inside as was happy with Le Café. Hope somebody will chip in with impressions as it would be good alternative to other two hotels in soi  if they have things right or at least priced properly.

I don't mind downmarket as long as it's priced right. In BKK used Niagara hotel in Silom soi 9 many times and was always happy as charge was around 600-700, no idea how much now , last time there about 4 years ago.

Any suggestions of a smart gay hotel near Boyztown?

I was happy with Le Café Royale, Ambiance charges about 1500 / night and looks good from outside, tempted to try them next time. Right beside Le Café is Copa, charges likely the same like Le Café. And you have Serene which remains mystery unless somebody volunteers some info.

Guest abang1961

One question: Don't the BTS/SkyTrain have stored valued cards.. like those in many cities like mine?

I believe they have.. so there is really not need to carry loose change.. 

And with my failing eyesight, I cannot differentiate the coins well.

One question: Don't the BTS/SkyTrain have stored valued cards.. like those in many cities like mine?

I believe they have.. so there is really not need to carry loose change.. 

And with my failing eyesight, I cannot differentiate the coins well.

I believe they do , used them in the past. Did not try on this year's trips as was based mainly around Silom and did not use BTS that much. And a bottom line - I actually like a loose change, kidding you not. 

Thai coins are very easy to differentiate , 10 baht is bi-metalic and thick, 5 baht is silver coloured,  smaller and thinner, 2 baht is gold coloured, 1 baht is small and thin. There are 50 and 25 satangs but those are just nuisance and you do not see them often.

Making change at BTS stations is very easy as there are special counters , the same counters  also sell 1 day cards for 130 and stored value if still exists.

There are 2 Baht coins that are silver coloured and look very similar to 1 Baht coins, just a bit bigger. Even Thais have problems to see the difference, so most silver 2 Baht coins have a "2" written on them with a blue marker.

I encountered 25 and 50 Satang only after 3 years of coming to Thailand, when I started living here. The only place with prices in fractions of 1 Baht I know of are foodland supermarket and buses (6.50 Baht fare).

excellent report-esp. as you amazingly changed HTls etc. in the same stay.

Just some minor amendments:

ARL-City is 45 till Phyathai, 35 till Makkasan. Takes 28 mins for the whole ride. Overcrowded in peak times-new trains have now been ordered.

25/50 satang coins come in dark and light copper too. All supermarkets have prices ending on them

Stored value on BTS is called Rabbitcard and for now valid BTS only-cooperatiion is planned, but TITs. It cost money to buy the card and untill 1/1 there is a 2bt lower fare charged (fares were upped in june/july-as for now rabbits charge the old fare still). They also can have prepaid 20/30 etc. rides-any lenght-to be used in 1 month..

thank you for update, I did not use regular City link to/from airport this time so was quoting from memory.

Rabbitcard is more of value for commuters than tourists but it depends where is  one's hotel, even daily card at 130 I found not that great value for touristy needs,  for example Sala Daeng to Asoke is 31 baht one way so one needs to travel extensively throughout the day to squeeze value out of daily card.

But is handy to beat rush time crowds if front of ticket vending machines   , slide card od off you go.

BTS is victim it's own success and at evening rush extremely crowded at times -  was left at platform to wait for next train on quite of few occasions. To get at rush time from Silom to Sukhumvit or other way nothing beats motorsai as long as one has will in order and funeral expenses / body transportation covered by the insurance. But thrill is better than Las Vegas rollercoasters  

I got a Rabbit card last year. I prefer a stored value card so that I don't have to fool around with getting change or standing in line at the ticket machine. You don't need to attach it to a day pass type of thing. It just deducts each trip's cost as you go. Topping up is easy but I think the minimum amount to add is 100 baht. I'm just used to using that sort of thing here at home. I also have one from Taipei. Picked one up in HK last year for their system too even though I don't really intend to return. They don't cost much money. I suppose if you are pinching every penny you might not want to get one. But I like them.

I got a Rabbit card last year. I prefer a stored value card so that I don't have to fool around with getting change or standing in line at the ticket machine. You don't need to attach it to a day pass type of thing. It just deducts each trip's cost as you go. Topping up is easy but I think the minimum amount to add is 100 baht. I'm just used to using that sort of thing here at home. I also have one from Taipei. Picked one up in HK last year for their system too even though I don't really intend to return. They don't cost much money. I suppose if you are pinching every penny you might not want to get one. But I like them.

stored value cards are really good idea for reasons you described but in BKK  of limited use since  all modes of transport have own fare structure and Rabbit Card is good for BTS but useless for MRT , BRT busses etc. It's why I did not bother in last few years.

I have one from Istanbul where you can use her for everything including intercontinental ferries from Europe to Asia and back.

I have one from Istanbul where you can use her for everything including intercontinental ferries from Europe to Asia and back.

Was that the Akbil that attaches to a keyring?  Worked well for me a few years back. Or have they moved on?

The Japanese PASMO or SUICA cards seem to be the best I have seen so far.  

The same cards work on buses, many different train companies (every one I tried), the Tokyo Underground and for purchases in shops. That's how it should be.

Charge your card, then swipe it over every single ticket barrier you come to and go straight through. 

Ideally, one should be able to use the Thai equivalent for the airport rail link, the BTS, the metro & the local buses.

Was that the Akbil that attaches to a keyring?  Worked well for me a few years back. Or have they moved on?

The Japanese PASMO or SUICA cards seem to be the best I have seen so far.  

The same cards work on buses, many different train companies (every one I tried), the Tokyo Underground and for purchases in shops. That's how it should be.

Charge your card, then swipe it over every single ticket barrier you come to and go straight through. 

Ideally, one should be able to use the Thai equivalent for the airport rail link, the BTS, the metro & the local buses.

Akbil is gone, now it's called Istanbulcard and looks like credit card but places you can reload it are still called Akbil Dolum.

We can only hope one day we will be able to use the same card for all BKK modes of public transport.

Maybe they will finally get their act together eventually. But I never use MRT. The only time I ever did was when I stayed at the Sukhothai Hotel. I just use BTS.

But I agree the card would be more useful if you could use it for more things. The one in Taiwan is good for all transport in Taipei, 7-Eleven, Family Mart, and I think even things like McDonald's. I used it on the local trains in Tainan. It was great and should be a model for everyone else.

II liked Cafe Royal too, but think  it was a far better place under its late manager.  I have read on other web sites that the noise has gotten worse in boys town.  If true, that would be a turn off.

• I did not have any problem with noise in Boyztown during my stay, neither inside nor outsid
    •  

Your hotel room was well positioned, at the rear of the hotel and a couple of floors up (so further from Copa Club), presumably.

On my one & only stay at the Ambiance, I also slept well due to a room at the back 2 floors up.

The first problem with that strategy is there is always a doubt over which room will be allocated. Secondly, I've read reports of the occasional loud & late night party in the street, going on to 3:00 am, or something stupid.

I like to sleep well EVERY night.

Your hotel room was well positioned, at the rear of the hotel and a couple of floors up (so further from Copa Club), presumably.

On my one & only stay at the Ambiance, I also slept well due to a room at the back 2 floors up.

The first problem with that strategy is there is always a doubt over which room will be allocated. Secondly, I've read reports of the occasional loud & late night party in the street, going on to 3:00 am, or something stupid.

I like to sleep well EVERY night.

Fate had it that it were my boys both nights who complained about their inability to sleep , not due to noise but because me trying to be too active in the bed to their taste.

No more Cambodian boys long time  in any Boyztown hotel - this is my New Year resolution.

On more serious note this is always trade in- being close to the action and inconvenienced by the said action at the same time.

It's why I'm such fan of BBB Inn- quiet place around the corner from Soi Twilight mayhem.