Guest MusicLife

Just meeting a handsome Thai boy

Guest MusicLife

Hey guys,

Im 19 yrs old and I will be travelling for 2 months to Thailand in July and August and I was wondering:
Where to meet a handsome Thai boy who isn't just there for the money... (if you get what I mean).

Are there like any places in Bangkok or Pattaya where you can just be in a bar/club in which you can meet someone on a bit more western way? I really don't want ending up meeting an extremely nice boy I really like, see him a couple of more times and then find out he's basically after my money and might even charge me for sex.

I'm not the kind of guy to be paying for sex. 

Thanks!

If you are 20 in July / August then try DJ Station in BKK (minimum age / entry requirement is 20)...plenty of nice non MB type guys there (although there are MB's there also) you can try your luck with.  Great place to make new friends & dance the night away...but it is very busy at the weekends...IMHO that just adds to the fun though.

Good luck

You might want to try Grindr or Jackd. But, not to be facetious, Thailand is full of handsome guys everywhere. So I think meeting them is not so difficult. Now, finding gay ones might be slightly more challenging. :-)

Be friendly. Smile a lot. Learn some Thai as the language barrier is likely to be your biggest obstacle. Do things you enjoy and meet people doing the same. It's really no different from anywhere else in the world. 

I'd second trying smart phone apps such as Grindr and Jack'd. At least here in Bangkok, you can find all kinds of guys there, including local guys who aren't there to make money. Be quite blunt in your profile about what you're looking for, mention that you can only speak English and those interested in you and able to communicate in English will get in touch.

As far as gay venues are concerned, Silom is probably your best bet. There are more interesting areas to pick up regular locals, but you'd either need to speak Thai or go there with some Thai friends to make the most out of it.

Money is bound to enter into the equation if you meet a guy a few times. I am speaking of experience. But as long as the amounts are reasonable (I pay for all expenses and give up to 500 Baht per meeting), I play along.

I had a few non-money encounters in Pattaya, but I would say it's more realistic to expect them in Bangkok.

DJ station would me my first place to go, however not on a weekend (Fri-Sat), as entry it is extremely crowded (i.e. you can't move freely to roam around). There might be twice as many guys as on a weekday (for twice the entry fee), but it's claustrophobic.

Saunas (even those Thai for Thai, however speaking Thai would be advantageous) are a good bet.

Have you been to Thailand before? There are plenty of pitfalls in dating Thai boys, I have trough all of them (not true, just when I think I have heard it all someone comes up with something new).

Guest MusicLife

Thanks everyone for your fantastic answers. Let me reply to most of you:

If you are 20 in July / August then try DJ Station in BKK (minimum age / entry requirement is 20)...plenty of nice non MB type guys there (although there are MB's there also) you can try your luck with.  Great place to make new friends & dance the night away...but it is very busy at the weekends...IMHO that just adds to the fun though.

Good luck

Yes I'm 20 by that time. As ChristianPFC also suggested DJ station I'm surely going to have a look there. Thanks :-)

I'd second trying smart phone apps such as Grindr and Jack'd. At least here in Bangkok, you can find all kinds of guys there, including local guys who aren't there to make money. Be quite blunt in your profile about what you're looking for, mention that you can only speak English and those interested in you and able to communicate in English will get in touch.

As far as gay venues are concerned, Silom is probably your best bet. There are more interesting areas to pick up regular locals, but you'd either need to speak Thai or go there with some Thai friends to make the most out of it.

Thanks for your reply. I will install some of these apps when I'm in Bangkok and see what's around. Haha :-) PlanetRomeo would work too you think? 

I heard indeed that Silom is the best place to stay as a foreigner who'd like to experience Bangkok gay life. Unfortunately I don't speak Thai so I guess Silom would be my best bet.

Money is bound to enter into the equation if you meet a guy a few times. I am speaking of experience. But as long as the amounts are reasonable (I pay for all expenses and give up to 500 Baht per meeting), I play along.

I had a few non-money encounters in Pattaya, but I would say it's more realistic to expect them in Bangkok.

DJ station would me my first place to go, however not on a weekend (Fri-Sat), as entry it is extremely crowded (i.e. you can't move freely to roam around). There might be twice as many guys as on a weekday (for twice the entry fee), but it's claustrophobic.

Saunas (even those Thai for Thai, however speaking Thai would be advantageous) are a good bet.

Have you been to Thailand before? There are plenty of pitfalls in dating Thai boys, I have trough all of them (not true, just when I think I have heard it all someone comes up with something new).

I surely wouldn't mind spending my money on a drink for a boy or so. I just don't want to be seen as someone who's there purely for the sex,and looking for a money boy :-) Cause I'm not.

As you also suggest me to go to DJ station I'm surely going to visit that place. 

I have been to Thailand before, however I've never been to places like these. I'm really interested to hear about the pitfalls you're talking about. Would you mind telling me? ;)

Yes, PlanetRomeo / GayRomeo is also very popular here. As a rule of thumb, the more apps you use, the more guys you can get your hands on. ;)

@ChristianPFC: You might want to admit that you're a bit on the extreme side as far as guys asking you for money even when you merely cross the street is concerned. It's a result of who you attract and feel attracted to, ultimately. A generalization like "Every Thai guy is bound to ask you for money sooner or later" is nonsense.

I'm not 20 y.o. either, I moved to Thailand when I was 30 y.o. and I cannot complain about any lack of non-commercial encounters in all these years I've been living here. Quite a number of these have turned into lasting friendships and the money issue has never come up (some, but not all of them, are pretty well off). So, no, I don't think this generalization is valid in the context of this thread, discussing a young guy of 20 years looking for casual hook-ups with local gays that might lead to more.

Sure, he could go the commercial route, but he really doesn't need to. If he looks in the right places and avoids those who make it plain from the start that they're in it for the money (or in desperate need of financial support), chances are he will just have fun.

That said, I like MusicLife's attitude and I can only agree with it, as far as things like buying a drink are concerned. In many cases, it's pretty clear that you as the foreigner have much more spending money than the Thai(s) you would like to hang out with. Quite naturally, in order to facilitate that everyone has a good time, it pays off to be generous.

Generosity isn't only measured in money, however. As fedssocr has mentioned earlier, smiling a lot and being a nice person that's fun to be with (and be seen with) is also an important factor. Treating the guys you meet well and not offending their sensibilities goes a very long way. Obviously, that wouldn't stop someone who's desperate for cash or used to milking foreigners from asking for money. If that's not your cup of tea, you simply have to avoid this type.

Thai gay sauna's (BKK here as about 40-and there are maybe another dozen spread out in provincial towns) DO have a MINIMUM age of 21-and that will be checked. One cannot really expect to find meets for outside there-but in TH you never know and life is full of daily's surprises. But enjoy it by then: all will offer generous discounts and sometimes even free entry to young guys. Most disco's/bars/pubs also have a min. age of 21-varies with time and place how much enforced-as about anything here.

IF you happen to be like an ''alternative-cool/groovy/western'' type of boy, then be prepared to adapt to neat clothes and well-cared for appearance-that means all here in TH. Its just that I happen to stay here in BKK near an enormous large bekpek type area where most young people seem to think its obligatory to walk half naked aorund. If you happen to be Chinese/Asian, you likely already know.

In Pattaya, most assume the boys only want money from gay farangs. What many don't realize is that most of

Boys want money from their Thai friends as well, when they know the friend has money. The Thai girlfriends want the boys money

and so does mama back in the village.

It's a cultural thing for the lower class and when someone has money, everyone eats and drinks. Clothing, motorbikes,

mobile phones are all shared with the expectation that the generosity will be returned when fortune shines on their friends.

When one goes out with Thai boys, the one who has the money pays, be he Thai or farang.

Because someone isn't ancient or obese, the important factor is if he has money. It's a matter of survival in a world

with no free lunch unless someone pays.

It goes without question that even young handsome guys still

have to pay working boys for their services.

It all works for me and I love this place

My comment regarding money was meant the following way:

I pay for transportation, food, entry wherever we go together, and occasionally I am asked for 300 to 500 Baht for various reasons (they might be valid or not, I don't question) and freely give them these amounts.

You will quickly learn who is in just for the money, and who likes you but is poor.

It doesn't have to be money, I have a friend who really likes eating dried/fried Durian, but cannot afford them. So I make sure I have a bag whenever he comes to visit me.

Pitfalls: read my blog www.christianpfc.blogspot.com where I have some conversations with Thai boys ("Dating Thai boys - it's not easy") that give you a hint what you might come across.

It is mainly about traveling. In Bangkok, it can be 20 km to travel. In jest, I say it's easier to meet a new boy than arranging a meeting with a boy I know already. Only if both factors play together (the boys wants to have sex with me AND there is some other benefit for him - usually money), then it works well.

@ChristianPFC: You might want to admit that you're a bit on the extreme side as far as guys asking you for money even when you merely cross the street is concerned. It's a result of who you attract and feel attracted to, ultimately. A generalization like "Every Thai guy is bound to ask you for money sooner or later" is nonsense.

I like guys up to mid twenties, many of them students, so many of them don't have enough money. The straight guys in the slum I am preying on are even poorer.

But I met one boy in Pattaya three times already, not a hint of money. But the majority of my acquaintances asks for money sooner or later.

Guest anonone

In Pattaya, most assume the boys only want money from gay farangs. What many don't realize is that most of

Boys want money from their Thai friends as well, when they know the friend has money. The Thai girlfriends want the boys money

and so does mama back in the village.

It's a cultural thing for the lower class and when someone has money, everyone eats and drinks. Clothing, motorbikes,

mobile phones are all shared with the expectation that the generosity will be returned when fortune shines on their friends.

When one goes out with Thai boys, the one who has the money pays, be he Thai or farang.

Because someone isn't ancient or obese, the important factor is if he has money. It's a matter of survival in a world

with no free lunch unless someone pays.

This is a great post and very accurate.  While there will always be exceptions, overall this is how things work.

Just watch when a Thai boy wins the lucky number.   Always buys some whiskey / food / goes to the club / whatever...but always shares the winnings by having a good time with friends.

Guest trailrider

It may be a generalization but, in my experience, a valid generalization. But then, I am not 20 yo.

This statement by Kokopelli is much more accurate than Alexx's statement.  There are very few Thai boys who can resist putting the "bite" on a someone who has money sooner or later.

Guest trailrider

This is a great post and very accurate.  While there will always be exceptions, overall this is how things work.

Just watch when a Thai boy wins the lucky number.   Always buys some whiskey / food / goes to the club / whatever...but always shares the winnings by having a good time with friends.

Sorry, but I have never seen the day or time when Thai boys show even a desire to pay for a Farang's drinks.

Guest anonone

Happens all the time...at least for me.

Of course, a lot of my Thai friends play the lottery...so just by the law of large numbers, one of them is winning fairly often.

Guest trailrider

Happens all the time...at least for me.

Of course, a lot of my Thai friends play the lottery...so just by the law of large numbers, one of them is winning fairly often.

I guess that I  just don't have the vast number of Thai boys as friends as you do.

Guest anonone

Maybe...LOL  But this is a pretty tight group of guys that I have known for years.  It is not really the standard Falang / Money Boy type of "friendship".  And I have certainly purchased more whiskey bottles for the group over the years then I would care to remember...or could remember after all the drinking.   :phew:

Sorry, but I have never seen the day or time when Thai boys show even a desire to pay for a Farang's drinks.

Usually it is us who invite them for drink , not other way around, so why they should pay ?.

When we meet out nephew or niece in the mall who buys ice cream? Likely us, right because we are older and considered more affluent?

One of my boys in November  on our way to hotel stopped at Family Mart to buy smokes and picked up also 2 bottles of Chang for us. It was nice. Sure some cynic may say that he knew what his tip will be so could afford it but I don't look at this that way.  

Ultimately it's quite natural that different people have made difference experiences, depending on the particular Thai guys they've met and are after. That's why I think it's not good to generalize, because it can lead to behavior that is considered insulting by some (the "Everyone's for Rent" attitude comes to mind).

For example, in my experience many Thai college students aren't that poor. Otherwise they usually couldn't afford to study in the first place, because their families would have needed them to join as breadwinners after finishing high school at the latest. Among those who are my friends, one went on a trip to South Korea in November and another one to Singapore in December. Paid for by their families, and they didn't stay at the cheapest hotels either. Others post about their (frequent) parties and trips on Facebook and Line on a regular basis. All that costs money, money that their families have. Because more often than not, it's without any farang involvement whatsoever. There are plenty of well-off families in Thailand, and in Bangkok in particular.

Guest abang1961

I reckon the chance of meeting up with the "yuppies-to-be" are there but most of us dont know where to find them.

Most of us end up in the "standard" establishments that lead us to commercial ventures.

Perhaps it should be our joint new resolution to know these people... do we stand a chance to know them?