TotallyOz

Delta makes it even hard to earn status

Thats not the new change. $ were already required this year for status next year.

However next year on top of needing $ for status, you will earn miles based on how much your fare is. People who generally buy low economy tickets will earn much less and some Business Class fliers will earn many more miles then before.

Big question is how many of those miles you will have to use for free tickets and whether they will make more seats available.

They are waiting to give those specifics until the end of the year hoping to minimize people leaving for other airlines.

The people that fly in First and Business on high fares don't tend to use their miles that often. They buy high, they don't need free tickets or upgrades. I fly 30-40 times a year on lower fares, and now I'm being told that my business, isn't really important to them.

I just arrived in Bangkok yesterday. I fly from Miami-Bangkok. Closed to 30 hours of travel. Coach...it isn't going to happen for me.

Guest abang1961

Well I am sure many farangs on this board have to travel at least 10 to 12 hours (and beyond) to get to the Land of Smiles and Protest (now?).  I used to have Star Alliance points (flying SIA most of the time) but in the past ten years, things have changed.

With the advent of budget airlines in the South East Asia region (Air Asia, Tiger and Jetstar), it makes good financial sense to pay less than 30% of the standard fare in full-fledged airlines.  Of course, compromise has to be made... things like narrow seats/smaller legroom and no food/entertainment.  The good part (besides the price) is that I can choose to travel on different airlines on different sector... just like I did for my recent trip... Tiger from Singapore to Bangkok, Air Asia from Bangkok to Macau and Scoot from Hong Kong to Singapore.  The round-trip ticket costs less than USD 200 in total... 

Mind you, budget airline is NOT for everyone.... especially if you are a light sleeper.. the crowd and the noise from those tour groups from China can "drown" the usual eerie silence..

I collect miles but actual accrual was never reason for me to fly particular airline.  While flying to Thailand I'm looking for best connection and then price, if I  get some miles,  good, if not  - I'm not worried. In 9 trips there used  8 different airlines, only Thai Air repeated.

Guest anonone

Thats not the new change. $ were already required this year for status next year.

However next year on top of needing $ for status, you will earn miles based on how much your fare is. People who generally buy low economy tickets will earn much less and some Business Class fliers will earn many more miles then before.

Big question is how many of those miles you will have to use for free tickets and whether they will make more seats available.

They are waiting to give those specifics until the end of the year hoping to minimize people leaving for other airlines.

United went the same route this year by requiring a certain amount of spend (in addition to miles flown) in order to make status levels.  We will have to see if they follow Delta's lead next year with determining award miles based solely on spend.

And you are absolutely correct about the "big question".  I understand they are going to a 5 tier award chart....complicated, plus you can bet there will be VERY limited flights available at the smallest levels.

Guest anonone

The people that fly in First and Business on high fares don't tend to use their miles that often. They buy high, they don't need free tickets or upgrades. I fly 30-40 times a year on lower fares, and now I'm being told that my business, isn't really important to them.

I just arrived in Bangkok yesterday. I fly from Miami-Bangkok. Closed to 30 hours of travel. Coach...it isn't going to happen for me.

It is dependent on the person, but many of them do use their miles, but sometimes in different ways.  I know several that use the miles to get free tickets for their companions, not necessarily for themselves.

I thought I read someplace that the amount of miles being awarded per ticket was capped.  If true, I don't understand the rationale for that.  Buying really expensive fare becomes non-incentived.

The frequent flyer game has definitely changed for the worse the last year or so. It was fun while it lasted.

You are right about that.  Still some value to be created, but not as good as before. 

:angry: