Guest chicolby

A little advice please

Guest chicolby

So I've read up on many of the posts here and feel like I've got a lot of good information. 

I'm visiting BKK briefly in less than 2 weeks. Will just be there a Fri - Mon as I've got other business in other destinations. 

Of course, I was a bit disappointed by the coup and curfew, but sounds like it shouldn't affect me for the most part.

Since I'm going alone, would you recommend hiring a tour guide for the day, or just wander about and figure things out on my own?

I need to get a hotel for my stay. Good location (near Silom) would be ideal, but also want a nice hotel. Any recommendations? Are any hotels awkward about me bringing a boy to my hotel? Any that I should avoid?

Thanks, in advance for your thoughts.

Be  adventurous and discover Bangkok on your own. no need for  a guide IMHO.

As for hotel near Silom I'd recommend  Tarntawan, nice , gay friendly no problems with boy visitors, close to the action.

As  for tourist part Grand Palace is where you need top start, go there early to avoid crowds / opens at 8.30 / , best way to get there is by river taxi from Saphan Taksin BTS, 4 stations from Silom. Your ticket will cover Vinamek palace and nearby Throne hall, take taxi from Grand Palace / 70-80 baht /

Since you are on weekend you may want to visit Chatuchak weekend market. Unique attraction near Silom is snake farm across the street from soi Twilight. Few steps from there is Wat Hualampong.

Don't overload your schedule as BKK is big and sweaty city and one gets tired easily. Yes , do not miss a chance to relax in the arms of one of the go-go or massage  boys at night.

It looks that TMax responded at the same time with similar recommendations so you get a picture

now all your posts disapperaed 

Yeah even the one I didn't want deleted and one that I wanted gone is still there, today is not my day.

Guest anonone

My first trip to Thailand, I stayed in Bangkok for a week.  I hired a tour guide for couple of days at the start of the trip and was very pleased that I did.  First day we spent seeing the major sites, which was great to have them "out of the way" and the guide was very good about not wasting time.  Best part though, we used public transport to move about the city. 

It was a great way to quickly learn a lot of every day things....BTS tickets, money, eating, polite words, etc.

As  for tourist part Grand Palace is where you need top start

Sorry but a tuk tuk driver told me the Grand Palace is closed that weekend - but there is a special government sponsored jewelery sale that weekend and he knows the best place for the best deals, he said he could also be you guide for shopping etc

bkkguy

thank you for bringing up this old trick of tuk tuk drivers bkkguy,

chicolby , stay away from all friendly locals claiming to guide you to any government sponsored sales, jewelery sales etc. Waste your money on boys in bars or massages not on dubious deals on 'guided '  shopping

Guest abang1961

Come on, we are all adults.

Travelling in Bangkok is safe as long as you don't respond to strangers.

Try not to take the tuk-tuk unless you are confident of the route towards the destination.

Don't be a willing victim by believing in these grandmothers' scam.

Just do some homework by surfing through the internet... plan your itinerary properly...

There are places you can go without forking out more than THB 200 in transport...

The distance from Silom to Grand Palace could not be more than 20 mins ride away and always use a meter-taxi.

Another thing, keep that camera in your bag..

Tour guide or not depends on your priorities.

If you don't want to spend time to prepare your trip or lose time traveling and don't mind an extra expense, hire one!

I started on my own, found out everything alone or from internet or from friends, and now travel, eat and stay mostly alone and by local standards.

I didn't have a tour guide and I needed 3 visits to finally get to see the Grand Palace, Wat Pho and some other important sights. With a tour guide I'd probably have focused more on sight-seeing, most first-time visitors probably get to see a lot in just a couple of days. Just if it was a bad thing that I didn't, I'm not sure. All these landmarks were still there when I came for my third visit. ;)

Guest chicolby

I got a room at Pullman G Hotel. 

Sadly, I've already established contacts with boys on Planet Romeo - and now I can't decide who to meet, or whether to meet any of them vs. going for the adventure. These boys are practically expressing their love for me before we've even met. The one thing I don't want is to have a boy limiting what I should do.

Priorities include:

- Visit local bars to meet locals and, hopefully a few of the expats or visiting farangs

- Check out a go-go bar. Not necessarily to off someone, but at least just to experience it.

- Go to a massage spa, select one or two boys for the massage of a lifetime

- Check out some sights worth seeing

This is really cramming a lot of activities into 3 days - so I'm really hopeful that in about 10 days the military decides to lift the curfew in BKK. 

The one thing I don't want is to have a boy limiting what I should do.

good way of thinking, last thing you need for just 3 days is constant supervisor trying to steer you where his agenda is , not yours.

hope you will update us about your adventures in BKK, you are in for a ball, curfew or not, don't worry 

Sadly, I've already established contacts with boys on Planet Romeo - and now I can't decide who to meet, or whether to meet any of them vs. going for the adventure. These boys are practically expressing their love for me before we've even met. The one thing I don't want is to have a boy limiting what I should do.

You're making an excellent point there, and you should consider yourself blessed for thinking that through before your trip. I was faced with the same dilemma when I came to Bangkok the first time - the more guys I chatted with, the more I wanted to meet. With so many enthusiastic and hot candidates, it was anything but easy to make a choice.

In all honesty, I screwed it up, I met my "Number One" candidate on my first day and spent the entire time with him. While it felt great at the time, it would have been better to meet several of them to be able to compare and put things into perspective. I missed that chance and had to make up for that later.

Guest Markblue

Chicolby I usually stay at the Pullam G in Silom, you have arena massage right across the street, patpong night market just a couple of tragic lights ahead, soi 4 and Soi twilight all just minutes away.

I miss Thailand!

Take care and enjoy!

Guest chicolby

Excellent! What massage place do you recommend if I'm looking for those boys who are a little more slender/young/twinkish? 

I know many on here talk about certain spas that feature the muscular hulky guys - that is not my cup of tea.

Thinking of 2 thin, younger boys doing 4 hand massage on me is quite appealing.

slender/young/twinkish, 

Bonny massage and Bangkok Massage in Soi Twilight come to mind for that type.

You may also massage places along Silom, lots of places on both sides and boys are on display outside - last Nov I had massages with your type  of boys in Relax / silom 64 / and Playboy massage . Actually hunting for your desired type will be half of fun.

TMax is giving you a good hint too - in both places boys are sitting outside to you can comb through the offer with no pressure and enjoy the drink / meal at Maxi's across the soi from Bangkok massage or Dick's beside Bonny at the same time

"in both places boys are sitting outside to you can comb through the offer with no pressure and enjoy the drink / meal at Maxi's across the soi from Bangkok massage or Dick's beside Bonny at the same time"

True, only nowadays you have to grab their attention rather than they wave and smile at you in order to grab yours - they are all focused on their mobile phones or playing video games. Customers come second, it would seem. You virtually have to walk up to them and tap them on the shoulder! The boss needs to spend more time downstairs. That was my experience the last few times.