Guest joeblo

Thais Smell

Guest joeblo

Yes they smell but they don't stink.

What I mean is that when Thais eat they seem to be more concerned with how food smells than the actual taste of the food.  They do not seem concerned with weather it smells bad or good but does it smell the way they either think it should smell or the way it smelled when their Mothers cooked it.  To me this is somewhat unusual in that most other cultures seem to talk about the way something tastes rather than how it smells.  Whatever, c'est la vie.

I don't know who you're hanging around in Thailand but I totally disagree with you.  Thais in general don't suffer bad food (which is why it's such a good idea to go eat where all the Thais eat) and I have yet to meet one who has ever given me any indication that smell trumps taste.  I'm almost guessing that the Thais you've heard this from are misusing some English words or you've failed to pick up what they've really meant. 

there's  bakery beside my work and every morning whole block smells heavenly with freshly baked bread which actually is expensive and tasting that good, still pleasure to sniff it daily so may be Thais are not so unique with affinity for good smelling food.

By the way when I saw tittle of  thread i started looking for some hand grenade to lob it  at OP as in 9 trips I don't recall smelling Thai but thanks God it was not about body smell.

Guest abang1961

The Thais are definitely better smelling than the Chinese counterparts in China.

And I am qualified to say this as I am a Chinese Singaporean...

It is not just the food but rather the lack of personal hygiene that bothers me..

The Chinese are infamous for spitting onto pavements..... that is the reason why they squat rather than sit in public parks...

Guest LoveThailand

I am still to meet a Thai with an unpleasant smell. Sometimes, indeed, they may be giving out scents of products they use - but the level of personal hygene is uncomparably higher, on average, than that of farangs. If you smell body odor on a BTS turn around and you'll sure spot the farang guilty of the crime :)

I am still to meet a Thai with an unpleasant smell. Sometimes, indeed, they may be giving out scents of products they use - but the level of personal hygene is uncomparably higher, on average, than that of farangs. If you smell body odor on a BTS turn around and you'll sure spot the farang guilty of the crime :)

That's true, on quite a few occasions I even noticed boys put tissue in their shoes when undressing to prevent odor being released, one more reason to love them , they always smell so good, Gee getting hot in here !

LoveThailand, well you never met Stinky!  He was a go-go boy at a now defunct bar in Sunee Plaza. Cute enough but I would give him tips to get him to stay away from me. It wasn't just an occasional  event but all the time. I doubt that he got many offs but each to his own taste or rather odor. 

LoveThailand, well you never met Stinky! He was a go-go boy at a now defunct bar in Sunee Plaza. Cute enough but I would give him tips to get him to stay away from me. It wasn't just an occasional event but all the time. I doubt that he got many offs but each to his own taste or rather odor.

Reminds me of one hot lad from Nice Boys, years ago. His feet stank to high hell. He would scrub his feet when he came

to my room. His shoes had to stay outside the room.

He told me that his roommates had the same problem with his stinky feet.

He was very hot and a favorite. We went to a pharmacy and bought a special spray and of course new shoes.

The problem was resolved and I had many pleasurable encounters with him.

LoveThailand, well you never met Stinky!  He was a go-go boy at a now defunct bar in Sunee Plaza. Cute enough but I would give him tips to get him to stay away from me. It wasn't just an occasional  event but all the time. I doubt that he got many offs but each to his own taste or rather odor. 

I would not be surprised if you were wrong  as there are connoisseurs of strong odors and  I recall at least 2 different  boys who told  to me that they had clients who did not want boys to shower before convention.  

Guest LoveThailand

:D

I was lucky then. But there must be some fans of strong body odor since Stinky was able to keep his job. Not my cup of tea. A whiff of FRESH sweat scent is an aphrodisiac for me though.

But as you guys say - even when some of the men have problems with body odor - they will take care of that. In general I have an impression that hygene level among Thais is very high compared to some other Asian countries.

It's funny how this thread evolved - original post was about smell of food and we landed  with unwashed boys / at client request /.

While ago one of posters  here asked about how to go about to  buy from boys their end-of-day underwear so definitely there's market for stronger smells.

Which begs for showering question - starting new thread

I have a friend who likes to sniff my armpits and insists I don't shower (or use any cosmetics) the day we meet.

But back to the op. I like to sniff Durian and Tom Kha Gai before I eat them.

You are not making it up, remember you mentioned it before on some occasion.

This is what Napoleon was writing to Josephine ' do not take a bath , I'm returning  in a week'

In my opinion durian neither smells as bad nor is as tasty as  legend has it.

Enlighten me what is Tom Kha Gai / I guess some dish ? /