vinapu

Ten Dream Places to Visit

Influenced by firecat's comments in "Thai in Egypt" thread and e-mails exchange with another member I have question:

Have you ever compiled such a list and if yes, what those places were ?. Did you manage to complete it or you are still working on this list ?

I made such a list back when I was still school boy and Johnson was USA's and De Gaulle French president, I still keep copy of it in my papers. I'm counting my blessings because I was able to achieve that childhood dream which at that time for many reasons was just a dream without even distant hope of realizing.  

My dream places were:

1.Lhasa, Tibet

2.Easter Island,  Chile

3.Jerusalem , Israel

4.Pyramids, Egypt

5.Machu Picchu, Peru

6.Angkor Wat , Cambodia

7.Tikal, Guatemala

8.Abu Simbel , Egypt

9.Persepolis, Iran

10.Bagan,  Burma / now Myanmar/

My list was fairly simple really.

1. France / Belgium WW1 battle fields (I'm a big history nut) - not done yet

2. Thailand, Thai Burma Railroad - done but would like to see more now that Burma has opened up

3. Machu Picchu, there is something about that place that just draws mt attention - not done

4. Victoria Falls, would just be an awesome sight - not done

5. Angkor Wat - not done but will be soon

6. Borobudur Indonesia (and also Lake Toba) - done

7. Antarctica - not done

8. Coregidor Philippines - the history nut comes out in me and have done this one

Guest LoveThailand

Still in the works.

1. Thailand (done, will be being done and done over as long as I can endure an 11 hour flight)

2. Dubrovnik (done)

3. Petra (done)

4. Notre Dame de Paris (and Dalida monument) - (I know :) and so much more - A moveable feast - (done)

5. Vermont in the fall (done)

6. Cape Town - done

7. African safari - done (Kenya)

8. A Greek island devoid of tourists and "modern conveniences) TBD

9. Beaches of Rio (TBD)

10. Buenos Aires gay tango course (TBD)

There are many more in the "done" and "TBD" categories - these are just the ones that came to my mind immediately. One of my biggest fears for old age is inability to travel.

I haven't made such as list yet, but it does sound like an intriguing idea.

So far, I've been quite the creature of comfort when it comes to traveling: After falling in love with a place, I've often re-visited it several times before turning my attention to new places. That has its advantages (getting to know a place and sometimes also its people better) and its drawbacks (not getting to see nearly as many places as I could).

My Ten Places - however Im not well travelled since discovering Thailand

Highlands of Scotland - In Particular Glencoe. Done that hiking and climbing

City of Paris Site seeing

Yosemite California. Hiking beautiful

Las Vegas. Awesome Architecture - very limited gambling

Pyramids. Still to Do

Bernese Oberland - Switzerland. Done That. Skiing

Great Barrier Reef - australia. Still to Do

More of Thailand than Pats and Bkk. Still to Do

Niagara Falls. Done That. Awesome

North Korea. Still to do - contrast to all the nice places above

My Ten Places - however Im not well travelled since discovering Thailand

Las Vegas. Awesome Architecture - very limited gambling

Pyramids. Still to Do

North Korea. Still to do - contrast to all the nice places above

Suggest you skip the pyramids in Egypt and enjoy Luxor in Las Vegas.

As for N. Korea, save some money and buy a one way ticket; you won't be coming back .

My ten places in no order of preference, some visited many times.

1. Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Done

2. Paris, France - Done

3. Prague, Czech Republic - Done

4. London, United Kingdom - Done

5. Barcelona, Spain - Done

6. Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville, Cambodia - Done

7. Geylang, Singapore - Done

8. Manila and Balibago (Angeles City) Philippines - Done

9. Dubai, United Arab Emirates - Done

10. Havana, Cuba - Still to do

I have omitted Thailand as an obvious destination that we have all visited.

I have also left out several fun European places too.

As for N. Korea, save some money and buy a one way ticket; you won't be coming back .

My then boss said the same when I was going to Iran and I'm glad I was not that thrifty. Not that I 'm trying to be an advocate for nasty regimes but sometimes picture of place we are given in the West  are not exactly what we see when there.

No need to go far, before I came to Pattaya I was expecting Sodoma and Gomorrah, only much bigger and I found pretty boring city with few pockets populated by jolly girls and handsome boys but by no means overwhelmed by their presence.

My then boss said the same when I was going to Iran and I'm glad I was not that thrifty. Not that I 'm trying to be an advocate for nasty regimes but sometimes picture of place we are given in the West  are not exactly what we see when there.

Maybe you are right?  What about Somalia, that ranks with N. Korea as a dream, or rather, nightmare vacation.

no, Somalia is outright dangerous with no order and no functioning state, whoever rises first in the morning , he is in charge.

No vacations are possible in such a place.

In North Korea if you behave and can stand them watching over you , vacations  can still  be had but cost is pretty steep. And for people who like strange and unexplored places it may be dream vacation the same way like for some people bungee jumping is nerve-calming weekend outing.

I agree with vinapu, and I remember similar discussions about Myanmar just a few years ago, when it was still a pariah state. Those who went despite the overcautious naysayers' warnings usually had great trips, and the latter flock to Myanmar nowadays and complain how overcrowded and overpriced the place is. There's never a perfect time, it seems.

Guest LoveThailand

I have very fond memories of several trips to Afghanistan. Security is always an issue. But met many very nice locals and weekend kite flying outside of Kabul was very memorable.

Old market and views of Sanaa old town (Yemen) are also very fresh in my memory - even though it has been about 7 years ago. Same - not safe but worth it.

I'd also like to visit Iran at some point - the country is super rich in architectural and cultural monuments.

I am not sure there are many places in the world I would NOT go given a chance.

Though with years my wanderlust mellowed.

4. Notre Dame de Paris (and Dalida monument) - (I know :) and so much more - A moveable feast - (done)

What do you think is so special about Notre Dame de Paris? I have been there, and in Chartres, but know cathedrals of Amiens, Reims, Rouen, ... only from pictures. I think Notre Dame de Paris is nothing special compared to the others, it just has the advantage of being in the centre of Paris.

I haven't heard of Dalida, and don't remember seeing the monument from my trips in Paris. Missed Montmartre cemetery (but went to most other cemeteries in Paris, they are wonderful).

My list of places would mainly include buildings, especially art nouveau (Barcelona, Bruxelles, maybe Riga, Prague, Budapest) plus Albi Cathedral (southwestern France).

I have spent considerable time in Paris, and some time in Berlin (I lived in Berlin for 7 years, but spend all my time studying!) and Vienna, but only one day trip to London. That is something I will rectify some time (spending more time in London, provided the weather is acceptable and I can find cheap accommodation, preferably staying for free with a friend like in Vienna).

Of the places others mention, I have been to Paris, Egypt (Pyramids, Luxor, Karnak, Abu Simbel, around 1991), Athens, Jerusalem, Angkor Wat.

But there is a difference between exploring places by your own over weeks and months and speaking the language (Paris, Thailand), and going on group tours for one week (holidays with my parents when I was a child: Egypt, Sicily, Greece, Ireland, Israel).

Guest LoveThailand

I was extremely impressed with the Notre Dame interior - perhaps was in the right mood - as much as the only other religious edifice (Hagya Sophia). Also the Burgos cathedral is a lesser celebrated but very impressive.

Dalida was a very popular French singer - I am not sure if you need this information but if interested - look her up.

Vienna has some very nice examples of Art Nuveau - but you probably seen those having visited there.

I agree - group travel is limiting, that's why I always go solo.

The only dream destination on my bucket list is Paris.  Some years ago I had plans to visit Paris but, at last minute, ended up in a hospital for surgery.  My dream almost resulted in me kicking the bucket.

However here are some other places I would like to see:

Easter Island

Machu Picchu 

Egypt

Athens

Tahiti 

Atacama Desert, Chile (for star gazing)

New Zealand

Australia 

Atlantis 

But there is a difference between exploring places by your own... and going on group tours for one week 

I agree with you with whole heart and soul, nothing beats exploring on our own, even if on tours with guide I try to separate myself ASAP at expense of missing some their stories perhaps.

Exploring places in company of locals may open some unknown doors but whether we like or not we are forced to look at the place through their eyes.

As for cathedrals since I like buildings over forests and lakes I agree with your assessment of Notre Dame in Paris and I like English cathedrals  / Lincoln, Durham, York, Winchester, Salisbury, Essex and many others/  better than French ones but nothing beats Haghia Sofia in Istanbul, I'm with Love Thailand on this one.

When one realizes that for 926 years this was biggest church in the whole Christendom and is not even church anymore for  546 years and still standing as it was is hard not to be impressed.

I agree with vinapu, and I remember similar discussions about Myanmar just a few years ago, when it was still a pariah state. Those who went despite the overcautious naysayers' warnings usually had great trips, and the latter flock to Myanmar nowadays and complain how overcrowded and overpriced the place is. There's never a perfect time, it seems.

Is old known truth that for tourists no country is safer than brutal dictatorship as long as we don't cross their imaginative lines

Vera,  my geography teacher, God let her rest in peace,  used to say perfect time to go is now, later there always will be excuses.

The only dream destination on my bucket list is Paris.  Some years ago I had plans to visit Paris but, at last minute, ended up in a hospital for surgery.  My dream almost resulted in me kicking the bucket.

Being still around  is  cheap price paid for missing Paris. Like all of Europe it easy to explore even in advanced years as distances are short and transport links excellent so one day you will go.

And if you can't , there's always Paris,  Texas like Rose in Golden Girls used to say.

I can think of so many reasons not to go to N Korea and not a single reason to visit. Guided tours only ,automatically eliminates it for me. I don't like being herded on and off buses and told where to be at what time.

Being thrown in jail if you say the wrong thing or smile at a boy would be another good reason. Abject poverty in the whole country  except for the idiots who run it..

South Korea would do nicely if I was dying to see Korea..  I don't visit places where the line is always moving on what is allowed and if you cross the line , you end up in a cage.

For me there has to be something worthwhile to see and experience with the knowledge , you are likely to return home safely.

we discussed topic here while ago when he announced plans and was asking for a feedback.

For me main reason to go to such places is to see how propaganda we are fed with is matching what is in the ground.

Often things are different  than our preconceived notion. I'm not trying to defend North Korea records but when read yesterday that 30 y.o mother of two was sentenced to 28 years in prison for 'lese majeste' one starts wondering if difference between countries  is as big as we think.

second post from the top:

http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/protests-update-t30758-780.html

Sorry not the same .  Saying negative things about the Monarchy is clear and spelled out.  Any Thai citizen who does not know it , just does not exist.

Also anyone who reads blogs or travel books or anything Thailand should know it.  All owners of sites or Blogs better know it and if they don't they will suffer the consequences.

There is nothing moving about that line. 

Sorry not the same .  Saying negative things about the Monarchy is clear and spelled out.  

I understand. Saying negative things about Communist Dynasty is clear and spelled out, lock them.

Prohibition of sitting at the front of bus by black person was clear and spelled out, is Rosa Parks still in jail?