biguyby

Gay Havana Cuba?

Guest LoveThailand

A friend visited there (female) 2 years ago. Liked it very much - especially the old Havana - decaying magnificent buildings, old cars - time warp.

When there a visit to their Opera House is worth for ballet lovers - National Cuban Ballet is world class.

May think aout visitng one day myself.

It is beyond me that the US is still punishing Cuba with an embargo when having normal diplomatic relations with countries such as Vietnam where thousand of Americans were killed for nothing. All because of two-faced politicians. Maybe when Fidel ever dies things will change?

It is beyond me that the US is still punishing Cuba with an embargo when having normal diplomatic relations with countries such as Vietnam where thousand of Americans were killed for nothing. All because of two-faced politicians. Maybe when Fidel ever dies things will change?

USA was and is friendly with much more  nasty regimes than both Cuba and Vietnam. No politician there  has balls big enough to admit that whole embargo is absurd and always was and just to finish it off with stoke of pen.

Some Americans still are industrious to go to Cuba through Canada which is well connected to island. Cubans will not stamp America passport so no trace  of contact with such  a powerful enemy will be left in Uncle Sam's documents.

As for thousands Americans killed for nothing in Vietnam  is easy to agree but still question of what they were doing there seems not to be answered almost 40 years after fall of Saigon / 25.04.1975/. 

As for thousands Americans killed for nothing in Vietnam  is easy to agree but still question of what they were doing there seems not to be answered almost 40 years after fall of Saigon / 25.04.1975/. 

I see your point, particularly as the Vietnamese eventually realised reforms were needed (as communism never delivers high living standards). 

However, North Korea answers the question of what can happen if losing to the communists turns out badly.  That has resulted in brutal repression of their people and nuclear weapons which threaten neighbouring countries. Then who knows where they might export the weapons to.

On balance, I think it's appropriate to oppose a military takeover by communists. If there is a clear majority of the population in favour, then of course, why not have a democratic communist government?   One thing is sure, it wouldn't last for long.

There's no solace in knowing that today's decisions will look equally indefensible 40 years from now.

I would really like to visit Havana before the political system there changes and there are McDonald's and KFC's on the corner of most of the historic streets.

I have heard conflicting reports about the mostly underground Gay scene.

I have a friend who found it extremely difficult when booking into hotels with his boyfriend and experienced some prejudice.

There are money boys available I am told but any sort of public displays of affection between men is

mainly in the private parties which can be quite hot (again only here say)

I would still really like to see the old city before it changes forever.

Guest surfcrest

Havana Cuba is beautiful city to visit. I usually stay in the Vedado area of the city. a middle class area (Compared to Miramar) that is close to the Malecon and the cafes, clubs that the guys hang out at. At night, when the weather is okay the younger crowd (and many older) come down to hang out. I have never found it difficult to pick someone up, the going rate between 50 and 60 CUC. It may be a challenge to get the guys back to your hotel or to your casa particular (private house), unless you have a private entrance.

The historic zone is downtown, including the Havana Club museum, El Capitolio, the Theatre House and many great restaurants. At night it gets pretty dead down there and dark, where you'd be far away from the action if you thought of staying there.

The same with Miramar, while there are some very nice 4 and 5 star hotels...you'd be far away from where you probably want to be, if you want to mingle with the local boys.

There's a public beach a bit out of town and there is sort of a gay area to hang out. You'd need to take a bus or hire a car to get there.

It's pretty easy to get to Havana through Europe. I see plenty of carriers from Spain coming in as well as Cubana and the latin American carriers. I usually come in via Cancun or Guatemala City and combine the holiday in Havana with some time in Central America with the family or at our property in Cancun. There are plenty of flights from Canada, mostly to Varadero...which would require you to take a shuttle to Havana (Easy both from the airport and from Varadero)

Lastly, you should probably be functional in Spanish to enjoy yourself here and avoid frustration. Not many of the boys speak any English. Some of the best reastaurants are private (Paladars) or a restaurant in someone's private home. Money exchange can be complicated, I usually bring Canadian cash with me that I convert into Cuban CUC's. Any exchange of money involving a US bank, even remotely will entail a service charge that makes the exchange poor.

I love Havana, Tropicana and all the other great things about the city...not to mention the cigars and the amazing Rum. It's not for everyone and so you'll need to do your research if you want to truly have an amazing time here.

Surfcres

I see your point, particularly as the Vietnamese eventually realised reforms were needed (as communism never delivers high living standards). 

I do not believe Americans got involved in Vietnam because of concern about inability of communists to deliver high living standards.

Your argument about preventing nasty regimes to gain power is valid but in case if Vietnam they won and neither country nor world collapsed, even helped to get rid of  even worse dictator Pol Pot  by invading Cambodia.  

Nobody is disputing that communist regimes in some places were very nasty but so can be ones on the opposite side of fence / Somoza in NIcaragua or Truilllo in Dominican just to stay at the same time of history /

Elected communist governments in some Indian states  / Kerala, West Bengal  / actually lasted quite a long time and Kerala is among best governed Indian states.

I don't want to sound like defender of communist power just trying to make point that when  Roosevelt described old Somoza as "SOB but our SOB " he was right. 

I agree that is appropriate to oppose military takeover by communists but I'd say is appropriate to oppose military takeover by anybody. Military is to defend country, not to put it's citizens in prisons and camps, any military, not just one with red star. 

There's no solace in knowing that today's decisions will look equally indefensible 40 years from now.

You may be right and if young enough you may even find if that's true in due time.

Difference between now and Vietnam war is that Vietnamese did not orchestrate bringing New York Towers down so today's decisions are easier to justify when coffins start coming back home

I usually bring Canadian cash with me that I convert into Cuban CUC's. Any exchange of money involving a US bank, even remotely will entail a service charge that makes the exchange poor.

good thing your brought it up, Cuba is a country where greenback is poor cousin  to other currencies due to politics so either Euro or CAD are best bet 

Guest surfcrest

Even a bank card that goes through the US for whatever reason, no matter what the currency will be charged the surcharge. That's why I like to bring Canadian cash, I do the exchange in a Cuban bank. Cuba has two currencies, the CUC (Convertible Peso) and the Peso. Cuban nationals use Pesos for food and the basics and must use CUC to buy anything foreign to Cuba. The value of the CUC is pegged to the US dollar, the exchange rate difference is so wide that it is very, very difficult for Cubans to afford CUC's unless they sell something or provide a service in CUC's. I don't believe foreigners are allowed to have Pesos or only very small amounts (change & small bills).

There is sort of an underground gay scene in Havana. Around weekends and holidays there are usually private parties held at different locations in the city. This is usually spread around by word of mouth..in the cafes, at the beach or down at the Malecon so the police don't find out.

It's not so much prejudice from the hotels, I believe it is illegal in Cuba.

Yes, there are money boys...plenty. As for private displays of affection, I don't believe Cubans are allowed to talk to foreigners. Usually when you meet someone down at the Malecon, you tell them where you stay or where you want to meet them for fun and they meet you there. If they walk with you or are seen by the police talking to you, they may get picked up. You have to appreciate the history Cuba has had with the US to understand why they do things they way they do still.

Not to worry about the "old city" before it changes forever. The Cubans have been spending quite a bit on refurbishing the old neighbourhoods and old historic buildings. They've done a great job so far, but there is plenty left to do and not so much money. You might welcome a McDonalds or a KFC once you taste food without spice. While there are many great things about Cuba and mores specifically Havana, the food is not one of them. If it doesn't grow in Cuba, they've probably had to import it using CUC's..(like spice) in which case it would be expensive or more typically...non-existent. I usually stay at the Hotel Habana Libre in downtown Vedado and when I'm not eating at a Parador, I'm eating there at their restaurant...and like McDonalds, I don't usually enjoy it.

I hope I haven't scared you off going! Some of the quarky things about Havana that I've described are also what makes the place fun and certainly different.

Surfcrest

Thanks to everyone for your interesting feedback on this topic.

I am not sure that I will ever make the trip allthough allong with Japan it is at the top of my dream holiday list.

Maybe the biggest factor for me not to go would be the need to learn at least a little bit of the Spanish or Japanese

language I had a stroke 5 years ago and now find learning new things (or retaining what I try to learn) very difficult.

And Thailand is just so easy each new holiday is just like picking up where I left off last time. I'm so lazy.

Guest surfcrest

Another possibility, around the language barrier would be to "meet" or hire someone in advance to help you out with the basics and steer you in the right directions. I know there are a few guys on Gaydar that offer rooms, or assistance or a little fun on the side.

I couldn't recommend this because I've never done it myself. I had a friend that I know from New York City that once lived in Havana and would take us to some good Paladars or would hire a local car for a trip here or there. These beautiful old taxis from the 50's are supposed to be for Cubans only and can only accept Pesos. He was also able to get us a box each of Cohiba's from the factory to take home. Now, I make my own arrangements.

My partner enjoys Havana's gay scene the most. He gets lots of attention from the boys down at the Malecon because he's Chinese. We'll bring an $11 bottle of Havana Club down to the beach with 4 or 5 shot glasses to share around. We'll bring a few 6 packs of Buckanero or Crystal down with us too and usually wind up crossing the street and going for a few more later in the night at the corner gas station. It's usually a pretty cheap night (for us) and lots of laughs. If one of us or both of us met someone, we'll invite them back to our casa particular.

Like I said before, it's very different...but in that, lot's of fun!

Surfcrest

Great insights, Surfcrest! You've certainly piqued my interest, I'll explore Cuba's gay scene when I've got an opportunity to travel there. A friend of mine speaks Spanish pretty well and I'd guess I can get him to come along.

It seem while the Canadian geese are flocking to Cuba for fun, thousands of Cubans are swarming the coast of Florida in search of a better life. Noting seems to make sense!  Americans aren't allowed to visit Cuba but any Cuban that can swim, float or boat to the shores of Florida is allowed to remain on US territory. I wonder if that policy will change if Ebola makes its way to Cuba?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/10/us/sharp-rise-in-cuban-migration-stirs-worries-of-a-mass-exodus.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LargeMediaHeadlineSum&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

I live in Ft.Lauderdale. This happens on a weekly basis. Haitians arrive almost as fast as Cubans. I live just a bit up the street from the beach and have seen a couple of boats arrive. People will usually jump out of the boats and swim the last several yards, because the federal law is, if they make it to dry land, they can stay. It's easier for the Coast Guard to catch and return them if they in their boats.

It seem while the Canadian geese are flocking to Cuba for fun, thousands of Cubans are swarming the coast of Florida in search of a better life. Noting seems to make sense!  Americans aren't allowed to visit Cuba but any Cuban that can swim, float or boat to the shores of Florida is allowed to remain on US territory. I wonder if that policy will change if Ebola makes its way to Cuba?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/10/us/sharp-rise-in-cuban-migration-stirs-worries-of-a-mass-exodus.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LargeMediaHeadlineSum&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Looks that Canadians are on right side of equation and have fun.

Americans have illegal immigration problem but also ready source of cheap house cleaners, baby sitters and burger flippers.

The same story all over the world, only Somalis and Afghanis need to do it themselves as nobody in right mind would try their luck there unfortunately.

I've been going to Cuba for over 15 yrs..... was MUCH better before as a tourist. Now that Raul is running things, he is doing it more on a Chinese communist level. People are allowed to own and run over 100 approved types of business. The gay scene is very open now IMO. Always was really because being gay is not illegal in Cuba.... I don't enjoy it as much now though and have really cut my visits down. The guys have become VERY materialistic.... tattoos, designer clothes, iPhones,  etc

I liked it when they were happy to stay the day, week or month with you just for the fun of it with a little gift and some money...and the sex was ALWAYS hot. Now it has become more like a transaction and they seem to want to work by the hour (most, not all).

50-60 cuc is on the high end I think and if someone is looking for that, they rarely perform.... might be very handsome but usually all show and no go.

I like the guys that come from Oriente (the east side of the island, the country boys) and are QUITE happy with 20 cuc and usually are better in bed.

Again, these are my views and experiences having been there about 40+ times and usually for a month at a time (extending tourist visa is just too much a pain)

I liked it when they were happy to stay the day, week or month with you just for the fun of it with a little gift and some money...and the sex was ALWAYS hot. Now it has become more like a transaction and they seem to want to work by the hour (most, not all).

not trying to be sarcastic here , just looking in the mirror, 15 years ago we were likely much more attractive  look wise , hence greater stress for transactional side of things

I'm not talking about myself, I'm talking about the guys and situation in general.... I would see them with the same guy regardless of age..... everytime I come across a money boy in Mexico, Cuba, Brasil... or where ever... trying to run some kind of mond game scheme.... I always think about how the Thais had perfected it (gay or straight) a looong time ago, those other countries are amateurs, lol