Guest comewhatmay

its not the same in pattaya any longer

Guest Prakanong

The high standard I mentioned refers to the expectation that posters do not make things up. That's surely the least we can expect from our fellow members. If we take the stance that it doesn't really matter if a post is truthful or just pure BS the credibility of the board flies out the window. That was my issue with Michael. And no, Michael, I'm not upset with you; just expressing an opinion.

Credibility of the board...hmmm.  Sounds grand but far too arbitrary, IMO.  How do you measure it, besides sniffing out untruthful posters?  Surely that can't be the only criterion.  How you decide what's truthful or not?  Would a gang of four old boys' club members make a good jury?  What about the free will of the readers, that they can decide for themselves what's truthful and what's not - should we discard that and assume we should spell out everything for them?  Should we also gang up on  stupid posters, dull posters, posters with no backbone, control freaks, show-off posters, posters with bad grammar, posters who exhibit pedophile tendencies, posters who only write about prostitutes and offs in the name of protecting the board's credibility?  "Expectation that posters don't make things up?"  Oh man, are you serious?  On a board like this?  About my beloved Thailand - where fantasy is the name of the game? 

Without adopting that condescending tone of yours, I just want to say that Thailand has very strict criminal defamation laws that do not require a civil suit.  It's the state prosecutor that decides to pursue the case and he/she does not have to prove malice.  With the law being randomly applied towards foreigners (and even Thais) as it is, I wouldn't take my chances.

Really?  Why, I had no idea.  I'll pay much more attention to you once you figure out how to use MultiQuote.

I admit to being naive when it comes to the Asian boys...far too trusting.

.... reminds us of the need to be vigilant.

I still  strongly believe that  is better to be too trusting than spoil one's vacation with paranoia about  possible theft.

Possibly fact that  for any trip anywhere I never take anything I couldn't lose helps.  

I don't have a reason to even read his posts, or yours, for that matter.  All I'm saying is that pedantic statements like that can come back and bite you in the ass later.

I still appreciate fact that you read and even respond to my posts even if you don't have reason to read them 

/ I know how to use multiquote but rarely use it  as I feel that responding to each post separately is more conversation like so you not alone in not using it /

Prakanong, you have totally misunderstood my post. I spoke of the EXPECTATION that posts be truthful, not that all posts ARE truthful.

If I go to a restaurant, I EXPECT good food, but that doesn't necessarily mean it IS.

And no, we shouldn't "gang up on stupid posters, dull posters, posters ...." We have the option to stop reading such posts. A poster does not have to write overly exciting posts or be particularly intelligent in order to post truthfully. That has nothing to do with it. Again, you've missed the point.

Guest FatRichard

I think  things are turning nasty here and appeal to moderates to delete this all thread

vinapu

I've spent the last 10 minutes reading this thread and I find it very interesting.  I've not seen anything particularly nasty - some gentle ribbing, sure, but that's what gets the argument going.  I don't know what I would have done had I been in the OP's position - panic probably!  Whatever...what a pity if this thread had been deleted because you thought it was "nasty".  I mean you could take a447a's advice and choose not to read it.  I like the way this thread has morphed into a discussion of the way message boards are run, what we can expect from them, cyber bullying, etc. 

Without adopting that condescending tone of yours, I just want to say ....

Really?  Why, I had no idea.  I'll pay much more attention to you once you figure out how to use MultiQuote.

Like Prakanong I won't adopt that condescending tone of yours, but I am reminded of a recent US study that showed that different (US) regional accents can have a significant impact on the speaker's perceived credibility - I have never heard you speak so don't know your accent ... but then I don't think I really need to anyway!

bkkguy

As bkkguy noted many posts ago "Don't feed the TROLLS".

next it will be a hydra accusation and another new user's career will be successfully nipped in the bud and all the usual suspects can continue to build their own egos in safety in an environment supposedly based on "straightforward mature behavior, civility and courtesy that you find in a neighborhood Pub or Tavern where neighbors and acquaintances joined by occasional strangers come together to socialize in good temper, to share conversation" - we have certainly NOT seen a lot of that in this thread and despite some opposition claims this forum is an old boys club, the occasional stranger is NOT welcome!

and "occasional stranger" is not my words, it is straight from the Message Center policies - obviously the old boys feel threatened by too many strangers invading their territory!

bkkguy

I have yet to ever see a single post from you about anything you've ever done in Thailand, anyplace you've ever been in Thailand, a single restaurant review or recommendation, a bar you've ever been to, an answer to anybody's questions about anything at all in Thailand, a single experience you've ever had in Thailand, a single post that shows you have ever so much as set foot in Thailand, or anything other than these typical posts you come up with.

I have read your posts ad nauseam with your pontifications about places you have been to in Thailand, bars, restaurants, your experiences etc and you don't seem particularly interested in any posts that do not agree with your opinion so why should I bother - and even when I do you selectively block them out and claim I have never posted them

and no I am not going to provide you a list - look it up for yourself, you are the claiming they are not there!

bkkguy

and no I am not going to provide you a list - look it up for yourself, you are the claiming they are not there!

Here's another helping of troll food for you:  I would have said "Nice try" if it even was a nice try.  It's just another lame, predictable, typical cop out response from you.  Still nothing you've posted indicates you've ever so much as set foot in Thailand. 

You get the last word if you want it.  I'm done with this topic.  We're not even on topic anymore.

and "occasional stranger" is not my words, it is straight from the Message Center policies - obviously the old boys feel threatened by too many strangers invading their territory!

Everybody is welcome but I found it fascinating that  quite a few  members decided  to start being active on the forum just to join commotion in this thread instead of usual travel and boy's tip questions.

Perhaps you with membership dating back  to 2006 can shed some light of what 's the reason.

I found it fascinating that  quite a few  members decided  to start being active on the forum just to join commotion in this thread instead of usual travel and boy's tip questions.

++11 Vinapu

Seems that more than 1 troll (or possibly the same troll with multiple "hydra" personalities) has realised that the mods and powerful voices on this board are easier to fool than those on the other forums...

Which is a pity as i always came here for the gentlemans discussions and went to the other boards for the edgier threads...

Edit: At least this troll topic has been kept to the one thread - so maybe i do the mods a dis-service in my comment above...

When I started to post, I was accused of being a troll a few times, hence I am lenient with trolls.

I can well imagine a newbie being scared by threats of police. I have been threatened with police three times (two Thais and one Farang), two of them drunk. All outside my room, so I can just laugh and walk away. Such threats are from a position of weakness, as a last resort. It's like a barking dog, he want's to see your reaction, whether you show fear or not.

If such thing happened in my room (or hotel room), I would tell the boy to leave, and shove him out if he doesn't go (I am bigger than the average Thai I date).

I had three boys being angry with me and write "fuck you", but that was based on misunderstandings, now they all would go with me.